PDA

View Full Version : Bellhop tipping question

ScottyP
07-31-2007, 08:55 AM
I am sure that this has been asked before, but I could not find a thread when I searched for it.

What is the standard tipping rate for the bellhops to bring luggage to your rooms? Does it depend on the number of bags? And, is there a different expected rate between resorts (eg. Deluxe vs. Value)?

BigRedDad
07-31-2007, 09:00 AM
It really depends. I am not sure what to do if it is DME since your bags will be in your room at some time and you won't see them. If I show up at the resort and they take my luggage from me, then I would tip $2 for big bags and $1 for small bags. There is no difference in Value vs Deluxe for tipping.

Pocahontas
07-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Standard tipping is 1 to 2 dollars per bag. As the previous post mentioned, if using DME your luggage may come to room when your out enjoying yourself, and in that case I don't know how you could tip them.

BelleBeauty
07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I usually tip about $1 a bag. We've arrived at night, and I ask them not to hold our bags, so we always see the CM who brings the bags. If you really want to make sure they get a tip you can do 1 of 2 things: a) when you check-in, leave an envelope to be given to the person who will deliver your bags b) the day after your bags are delivered, bring an envelope to the front desk and ask them to give it to the person who delivered bags to your room during a certain time period the previous day. I would trust the CM at the front desk to get it to the right person.

CleveRocks
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
With DME, the in-bound bellman gratuity is included!!! The CM who brings your DME bags to your room receives a payment from Disney, known internally as a "GTY." From what I've heard, GTYs are sought-after by CMs, so those must be some good tips. So if you happen to be in your room when your DME bags arrive, you are NOT being a cheapskate by not tipping, since that CM has already been tipped by his/her employer for delivering your bags.