PDA

View Full Version : Stroller on bus question

Dyanna
07-30-2007, 12:18 PM
We are looking to take our daugheters jogging stroller to WDW with us in OCt as she will be 10 months at time of trip. What was your experience like taking the stroller on & off the busses at each park. Did you find it annoying & thinki it would have been better to rent onsite. Did the other passengers get mad at you for bringing on the stroller when the busses were full to standing capacity? Etc... Also, was the stroller safe outside the restautants while you ate knowing they are not allowed inside with you.

Cozfamilyof6
07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi
We took our 3 children last November and brought our Combi side by side for our twin girls who were 2. The Combi folds up really small and is light at 19 lbs. That said, it was easy to fold up, get on the bus, tuck it out of the way and then get off the bus. It's a comfortable stroller and my girls are happy in it, so that was our reason for bringing it. We are going back in October and plan to bring it again for our 4 month old and for the girls and then renting a park stroller if needed for them and our son who is 6. Whew!

So - as far as the jogging stroller - if it's large, cumbersome and heavy, you may find it hard to bring on and off the bus and it may be in the way for other passengers. However, it is great to have a stroller when going from your room to the bus stop, pool or restaurants if you are staying on-site.

As far as leaving it outside restaurants, we never had a problem and never heard of anyone who did.

Try it and if it's not working, leave it in your room and rent when you get to the park.

Enjoy your trip.

chefmickey3
07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
As a mother of 3 boys under age 6, we have travelled with our own strollers each year (mostly for airport and to and from parks) - ranging from umbrellas to double stroller to sit-stand stroller the last two years. By far the double was the worst. My DH dreaded the buses after awhile because it is very bulky and he often had to stand with it. As for other guests, most had BTDT and understood. We didn't get any negatives at all. In my opinion it is worth the hassle to have a comfortable stroller for your young baby.

As for safety of the stroller, sure it could be taken while on an attraction or in a restaurant, but in 6 trips with young children, we have never had one stolen. The most annoying thing is that the CM's are constantly reorganizing the strollers, so a few times we had panicked moments of thinking it was gone. Again, worth the hassle in my opinion.

Christine
07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Lots of people bring their strollers with no problems. You just have to fold it down on the busses.

And it is very rare that people have anything happen to their strollers left outside attractions or restaurants. Just don't leave anything valuable in them and you should be good to go!
:thumbsup:

jans2kids
07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
The 2 advantages we would say by taking your own is that they are more comfortabel than the hard plastic rentals, and the times we needed them most was outside the parks where the rentals would do you no good and that was walking from the park to the bus stop and having to wait and walking from the bus stop back to the room with sleeping kids. We would carry them off the bus and at least be able to get them back in the stroller instead of carrying all that dead wait.

Never had a problem with anyone bothering the strollers outside rides or restaurants.

mickey&missy
07-30-2007, 12:56 PM
First, hello to a fellow Long Islander! I'm out east in Mattituck.

Second, definitely take her stroller!! The rental strollers aren't really made for a little one. Most of them hard plastic and don't recline at all. The ones at MGM are a little better, their more like a jogger.

People don't seem to mind stollers on the bus. I think you have to kind of expect it. Whn we went the first time DD was just 4 and DS was 2. We took a double umbrella stoller and didn't have any problems. You shouldn't have a problem outside restaurants or rides. I've never heard of anyone getting a stroller stolen or anything and I know its been asked several times here. Just be aware that outside rides there are CM's who move the stollers around to make parking more efficient.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

cfoshe
07-30-2007, 01:04 PM
looking at it from one that does not have to deal with taking a stroller, The things that annoy me is when a person pushes the stroller all the way up to the buses steps, then unbuckles the kid, puts the kid on the bus, and then folds up the stroller. be kind and have the kid out, and stroller folded before you get to the buses door. Your stroller from home will be more comfortable for your kid than a rented on. Best of all, have fun.

LadybugTink
07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
My sister on her first trip to Disney had her stroller stolen. But that is another story and I think it is kind of funny. ( I promise I am not a mean sister ) When we went back last year she took a little umbrella stroller and had no problems. I think like someone said before people expect it so it is not bad at all. The most important thing is to make user your child is comforable b/c having an ill child is goign to be far worse than a stroller. :thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
07-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I board the busses in my ECV, and one time there was a big stroller taking up one of the HC spaces. The operator told the man he had to stow the stroller underneath, and he said, "My child can't walk without the stroller", and he felt this qualified him taking up the space.:D

Takes all kinds.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Another Long Islander! :thumbsup: I am WAY out east in East Hampton.

We have always brought our own stroller and have never had a problem on the buses or anywhere else. We prefer to have our own.

We always have it folded up and ready to go as soon as we get on line for the bus. There is nothing worse then someone waiting to take their child out of the stroller, unload it and fold it up at the door of the bus without letting anyone else board. That is the only time I see anyone get frustrated. People are very understanding about them the rest of the time.

Restaurants and the parks are no problem either. I leave a bag in the basket of mine all the time with poncho's, snacks, etc. I just would not leave my camera, etc in it. I have in error before and it was fine when we got back. Thank goodness.

We have a Perego P3 that folds like an umbrella stroller. The ones that fold in half (if you know what I am saying) seem to be more of a pain to carry. Just my opinion.

Have a great trip!!

pixiesmimi
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
We have taken both a double stroller and a smaller stroller to the parks. We have ridden the buses and trams with them with no problem even when they were crowded. We tried to keep them out of other people's way. The main thing is to make sure you have your child out and the stoller folded before the bus or tram arrives so as not to hold up other people, as has been said already. One trip with the double stroller, we got tired of the hassle of folding and unfolding it for the trams and decided to rent from the parks the rest of the time and it worked out fine even though one DGD was under a year old. This year in June we had our stroller folded and got on the tram when a woman with her son who looked to be about 4 years old was trying to get on the tram at the last minute without taking him out or folding up the stroller. I pointed to the sign on the tram that said no children in strollers. She just ignored me and picked the stroller and child up and put them on the tram taking up enough space that no one else could get on plus the safety factor of the stroller rolling off the tram. When we reached the park, I helped her get it off and noticed later in the park that she had the stroller folded up and the child was walking. To me, this was a selfish move because she didn't want to take the time to take the child out of the stroller and felt she was too good for the rules. That is my only beef, when people think they don't have to abide by the rules. (She was not from the US). I'm surprised one of the tram CMs didn't come along and make her get off. But you should be fine on any of the transportation with the stroller and I've never known of any being stolen. Moved around, but not stolen.

Stitchahula
08-07-2007, 09:35 AM
I brought my stroller last time we went and I'm bringing it plus another one this time. It's easier when you have your own stroller I find because I usually have rain shields and fans attached to them to protect my kids and keep them cool. There were a few comments one night about the stroller on the bus but this person was complaining about everything so I wouldn't worry about it. That being said I would suggest getting a light weight stroller that reclines. My jogging stroller is rather bulky and heavy to be lugging up and down the steps of the bus. I just picked one up at walmart for 20.00. I would also suggest removing anything you want to keep when you go into restaurants and on rides. When we went on a ride we came out and found our bag with our rain gear gone. I guess they felt they needed it more than we did. Good luck and have fun.

MsMin
08-07-2007, 10:33 AM
looking at it from one that does not have to deal with taking a stroller, The things that annoy me is when a person pushes the stroller all the way up to the buses steps, then unbuckles the kid, puts the kid on the bus, and then folds up the stroller. be kind and have the kid out, and stroller folded before you get to the buses door. Your stroller from home will be more comfortable for your kid than a rented on. Best of all, have fun.

There is nothing worse then someone waiting to take their child out of the stroller, unload it and fold it up at the door of the bus without letting anyone else board. That is the only time I see anyone get frustrated. People are very understanding about them the rest of the time.

Ditto, You'll find an occasional grumpus, more often at the bus stop, You really can see everyone moan when someone w/ a stroller waits and insists they take it on b/c it's loaded down argues w/ the driver and meanwhile ppl from the back of the line are pouring into the back door where they had just loaded a w/c. It's gets the crowd inflamed very quickly. Many of us have been there w/ strollers and many of us will find the need for them in the future. If the bus is loaded then it helps to put a little one on a lap to conserve space. But don't let others who moan and groan spoil your day. I'm sure we all do things that somebody can find something to complain about from stopping on Main Street to snap a picture or taking your time getting ketchup. Have a wonderful trip and take lots of pictures...:minnie:

crazypoohbear
08-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I took my own strollers for my kids when they were young. Nothing happened to them, the kids were more comfy and I could pick it out easier than in a sea of hard plastic.
Like others have said though PLEASE!!!!!
Make sure you have the little one's out and the stoller folded when the bus comes to a stop!
This does not mean that you have to stand in a long line holding a sleepy kid. but when you see the bus COMING, start the process, after a couple of times it should become easier and take no time at all
Hand sleepy to dad or mom or sis. grab all the bags from underneath, rest them at your feet. fold stroller, grab bags and go!

As for the kid in the stroller who couldnt' walk without it, I would have asked it it was one of the handi strollers but having read you other posts over the last year I know you are considerate of others and you would have known so, it was just someone being rude!!