PDA

View Full Version : Spa treatments to try or avoid?

DisneyRN
07-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Has anyone had an absolutely awesome spa experience that you would recommend? Are there any that you would not do again or discourage others from doing?

angedeaile
08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I have been watching this thread in hopes that someone would reply.....

So instead, I will reply with what I have read from other boards...

The one I plan on trying out and sounds just all around fun is the rurial treatment. I think that is what it is called.

It just sounds like a great way to spend some messy time with your significant other :D

You undress and are given robes. Then, you are lead into a private room, with a shower area and steam area. They provide bowls filled with 3 different types of medicinal muds. Each mud is for a different part of your body. After 15 minutes of making each other a muddy mess, someone will knock on the door to make sure everything is okay. That is when you can head into the steam room.

While in the steam room, you use sea salt to exfoliate each other. After 20 minutes, there is another knock and you head over to the shower (shampoo, soap and conditioner are provided in the shower).

After you are clean, you're given lotion and aromatherapy oil to use on one another. Some folks claim that they took the lotion and oil back to their rooms to use instead.

Another treatment that peaked my interest, was the the cellulite treatment.

It does sound pretty interesting...I mean loosing an average of 5 inches around your waist, hips and thighs after eating your weight in food....sounds great.

Although, after reading what you go through, I decided comfortably being plump on the trip is better.

GreenBeetle
08-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Although, after reading what you go through, I decided comfortably being plump on the trip is better.

Well, now you got my attention . . . what on earth do they do to you?? The one and only time I had a massage (not on the cruise), the girl failed to mention that I should drink plenty of water afterward to flush out all the toxins. So I spent a few hours vomiting afterward at home - not a happy experience. :sick:

angedeaile
08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Well, now you got my attention . . . what on earth do they do to you?? The one and only time I had a massage (not on the cruise), the girl failed to mention that I should drink plenty of water afterward to flush out all the toxins. So I spent a few hours vomiting afterward at home - not a happy experience. :sick:

Oh wow...water is key for those. I can't believe she didn't even mention it!

Anywho, this isn't a massage, but more of a treatment. They had different ones, depending on which area you want to focus on, like your love handles and such.

You disrobe, put on paper panties and then they take measurements from various parts of your body. SO, if you are at all modest, this might not be the treatment for you.

The claim is you will "permanently" lose a guaranteed 3-8 inches. Thus the measurements.

After that, you are asked to lie down on what looked like an electrical pad. Then they put this mixture on you, some say it is ginger and powder seaweed. Can we say stinky?

After the lather session, you are hooked up to some positive and negative (very low) currents. I have read that this portion of the treatment feels kinda like when your foot falls asleep and lasts about 30 minutes. I hate that feeling, which is another reason I am not too interested.

They say that you do loose inches, but you can't be out in the sun for long amounts of time. Also, for women, it can cause some abdominable sensitivity if it is close to that time of the month.

Keep in mind, I haven't tried this. All of this info is from what I have read from other posts and sites...so it might not be as bad as it sounds.

GreenBeetle
08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Yikes! I think I'll pass on that treatment! :shake:

TammiMcMan
08-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I would suggest just a general massage or manicure/pedicure. There are a couple of detox treatments, but as others have mentioned, they can cause discomfort. I did the massage detox and spent the following day in and out of the bathroom constantly. Also with facials, you may need to avoid the sun, which can be tough to do in the Bahamas.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I forget what the package we got was called, but it was very simple. You had access to the aroma showers, the hot lounge seats, the sauna and steam rooms. It wasn't a lot of money and being able to sit on those hot chairs was very nice after an active few days in the parks. It really soothed the sore muscles.

dixielandings
08-04-2007, 03:09 AM
Definitely a massage on Castaway Cay. Best massage I've ever gotten. No special "mood" music required here - just the sound of the waves...

TammiMcMan
08-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I forget what the package we got was called, but it was very simple. You had access to the aroma showers, the hot lounge seats, the sauna and steam rooms. It wasn't a lot of money and being able to sit on those hot chairs was very nice after an active few days in the parks. It really soothed the sore muscles.That was the rainforest package. You could purchase it daily, or a full cruise package. It was wonderfully relaxing and you could use it whenever you wanted.

DOPEY321
08-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I couldn;t get the time I wanted for a massage, so I just got a pedicure. It was ok, but the girl kept talking , even when my eyes were closed. The next time I go, I'll skip the pedicure. The ones I get at home feel better and are much more relaxing.

WonderlandsMostWanted
08-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't recomend a pedicure on vacation, unless it was just before you came home. If they remove that rough skin from the bottoms of your feet, you're likely going to find a new world of pain and blisters, as that soft, fresh skin doesn't withstand tons of walking and sweating the way a "well worn" foot does. Save the pedi for when you get home. :twocents:

mouseketeer mom
08-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Wow. I never knew that about the massages. Now I know I won't book one! Thats all one needs, to have a stomach attack all day after a massage.!( kind of defeats the purpose..!)
We did not utilize any spa treatments on our 4 day cruise in '06..we were thinking we might do something on our spring Magic 7 nite cruise. Maybe the rain forest experience is the way to go..however..I already have a mass of curly/thick/ out of control hair, what am I going to look like coming out of the "rainforest!!!" I shudder to even imagine it!! By the way, how about a good blow dry? Does the ship offer that?

TammiMcMan
08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Wow. I never knew that about the massages. Now I know I won't book one! Thats all one needs, to have a stomach attack all day after a massage.!( kind of defeats the purpose..!)This normally doesn't happen following a general massage. We were talking specifically about the "treatment" massages, like the detox and ionization.

By the way, how about a good blow dry? Does the ship offer that?The salon is full service and offers everything from blow outs, to up do's and color consultation. I was very satisfied with the service I received in the salon.

TexasPrincessAurora
08-12-2007, 11:43 AM
On our cruise in April on the Magic I did a facial and a foot treatment/pedicure. DH and I did a couples massage.

The facial was one of the best I've had. Mallory (who was from Ontario) did my facial and was wonderful! I had been having problems with rosacea and she recommended products that I've actually used to replace all the prescription stuff I had that wasn't working.

The foot treatment was very relaxing. I can't remember the girl's name who did it, but she was from one of the islands in the Caribbean. She was very quiet. I did it the day we were docked in the Cozumel and just relaxed looking out the windows over the city.

Now the massage...well, I was 4 months pregnant when we cruised and I was not impressed with the pregnancy massage that I received at all. I guess maybe being used to getting a real massage, this just didn't seem like there was anything to it at all. DH thought his massage was great...Lucas was the one that did his. I've heard great things about him from others as well.

Dare To Dream
08-15-2007, 08:27 PM
My DD and I both enjoyed the spa on the 11 night med. She had a seaweed wrap - that didn't send her. But she and I both loved the hot rock massage. It was sooooooooooo relaxing. We also did the manicure and pedicure treatments - they were ok. On comment about their polish application is that they do not put a durable top coat so your polish can chip rather quickly. My DD also had her hair cut and conditioned - it looked wonderful!!

TammiMcMan
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
My DD also had her hair cut and conditioned - it looked wonderful!!I agree, my favorite thing was being able to have my hair done up before dinners. I love the salon.

cinderellangel
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I did the cabana massage in Castaway Cay and it was wonderful!!! However, the cabana was not exactly on the beach and the sounds of the ocean were replaced by sounds of an fan. But it was one of the best massages I've ever gotten!!!! The massague was amazing!!!

Check out the Personal Naviagor for amazing deals while the ship is in port. For example, the Disney Wonder offered a Ladies' Night Package. For just $109, ladies get a back massage, scalp massage, foot massage, facial, use of the steam and sauna room, champain, and chocolates. It was fabulous and I would do it again!!! If they offer it, get it!!!

God bless

tltcats
10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I just got off the Magic Saturday (sob) and my sister and I took advantage of several of the spa treatments. I had the pedicure. A woman named Tracey did it and I found all of the digging at cuticles and scrapping away of skin to be a very painful experience. I don't know if it's like this with every pedicure (this was my first, and will be my last it was so unpleasant). i just thought she was extremely rough. I compared it to a dentist appointment!

My sister did the half body massage and cabana massage and said she'd do one every day if she could. She said they were both wonderful, but the cabana massage was a hot and sweaty experience....even if the ambiance was incredible!

Two years ago I had the cellulite treatment. At the end they documented 5 inches "lost" ....but they were back within 2 weeks.

Just my 2 cents....