PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Medical parking lot

PETE FROM NYC
07-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Excuse me for venting,but,on our trip this past March,there were too many people using the medical parking lot that should not have been.I am under the impression that WDW intended use of these lots for persons unloading wheel chairs and scooters.Most of the folks I saw were unfolding strollers from their trunks.I feel that if a stroller can be folded into your trunk,then it can be folded and carried on the trams.
My wife had her scooter with us,and I walk with a cane,and every day we had a very long walk to the gates .I was usually half shot when we did get to the gate.
Next trip,maybe we will both use the WDW resort buses so the walk will be more bearable.
Again,excuse my venting.

faline
07-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure what the medical parking lot is but if it is an area for parking for those with disabilities, I would guess that access is limited to those who show some sort of designation that indicates a need for access to the parking lot.

No matter how able bodied folks may appear, they may have needs of which you are not aware. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm going to assume you mean the handicapped parking spots? In order to use these you are supposed to have handicapped plates or the placard that you hang from your mirror. However, as Faline said there are people without visible disabilities. My mother has MS and to look at her, you wouldn't have known it. She could walk around, but tired very easily.
And then there are definitely others who do abuse it. I always say that I hope they never really NEED to use it because they might find them all taken by able bodied people.

mttafire
07-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Excuse me for venting,but,on our trip this past March,there were too many people using the medical parking lot that should not have been.I am under the impression that WDW intended use of these lots for persons unloading wheel chairs and scooters.Most of the folks I saw were unfolding strollers from their trunks.I feel that if a stroller can be folded into your trunk,then it can be folded and carried on the trams.
My wife had her scooter with us,and I walk with a cane,and every day we had a very long walk to the gates .I was usually half shot when we did get to the gate.
Next trip,maybe we will both use the WDW resort buses so the walk will be more bearable.
Again,excuse my venting.
I dont blame you abit. It seems everyone these days has a "disability" IMHO, that parking area is meant for wheelchair or folks that has trouble moving easily and needs a scooter or something. After serving in the military for 8 years and a professional firefighter for 12 now my hearing is almost gone in one ear and 40% gone in the other. I should be wearing hearing aids but...i dont. I guess you could say i have a "disability" However, If i were to park in that lot..Someone please remove me from my car and beat me silly..That aint what its meant for.The term disability is becoming a loose term. In closing..i share your concern and frustraition.

snifflesmcg
07-30-2007, 12:39 AM
I agree with mttafire. It seems everybody has some sort of "disability". It drives me crazy (even with people I know personally) that SOOO many people get handicapped parking plates when they don't really need it. Unfortunately, due to over excessive plates will have many more people who could park in normal spaces that don't.

mrsgaribaldi
07-30-2007, 04:30 AM
It drives me crazy (even with people I know personally) that SOOO many people get handicapped parking plates when they don't really need it.

Aside from the people that you personally know, how do you know the health of other people? Not everyone has a problem that is readily visible to the eyes. Doesn't make them any less handicapped. Here are just a few: enlarged heart, MS, asthma, lupus, cancer, angina, arthritis, back problems, recent surgery,transplant patients, etc. So when you see someone who looks fine, just think of a few of these and be thankful you don't need the special plates.

crazypoohbear
07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I don't know about the rest of the country but her in MASS you need to have a doctor's permission to APPLY for a handicap plate. It has to be a Permanent disability, not someone who has had knee surgery and will recover in a month or so.

You can not get a HP plate because of a hearing "disability" that's obsurd.
Many people have disabilities, you would only get a Handicapped plate if you had a mobility disability.
You can get them for things that you can not see with you eyes or medical intuition.
Like MS, arthritis, heart disease, cancers, lupus.
SO just because you "see" someone who "Looks normal and healthy" until you walk in their shoes don't judge!
I do know people who do abuse the HP plates, like family members who take the handicapped persons vehicle and parks in HP spots because "it's a HP plate" BUT if this is reported and seen the real Handicapped person can lose that privilege, so if you see this happening report it.

princessjojo
07-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I agree with you Pete from NYC! Here in NC, you can get a temp. placard while pregnant. Though there are some who may need it, there are many who don't. My step-sister had one, because she said her hips hurt. She used it for 6months then for 3 afterward. I called her out once in front of our family with her grandmother around (whose 93) and she denied it. I told her I just saw her parked in a space and I knew it was her because I saw her get into her van. She just got mad and walked away.

I've seen it so many times and it angers me to no end. They get out and run into a store. My step-dad usually drops his mom off at the door, someone gets out with her, and he parks in a regular space.

There are so many others who really need those spaces and I agree, a stroller does not qualify as an assistive device in my world. I try not to judge when I see someone in a "long term" space like WDW, but in the grocery store parking space, if they just jump out of the car, regardless of their history or present condition, that is often abuse of privilage and I have seen this by strangers and aquaintenances alike. If the HP is in the car and chooses to wai in the car, then the space is not necessary for the driver or store patron and a regular space should be utilized.

It should be remembered that the use of the space is privilage for you, not a right. Sure there should be the spaces available, and I think there should actually be more, especially with our aging population, but don't abuse it.

Just my :twocents:...

wdw_bound
07-30-2007, 07:36 PM
a stroller does not qualify as an assistive device in my world.

Then I guess my daughter, a stroke survivor, doesn't qualify as disabled in your world, either. DD8 does not use a wheelchair, but has a stroller designed to handle kids up to around 100 lbs. It looks very much like a regular stroller.

She can walk, but due to her weakened right side, has very little stamina and also lacks coordination. On our way into the parks, we are probably one of the families you look at and shake your head. She can, and often does, walk into the park under her own steam, especially early in our vacation. However, as the week goes on, her physical reserves run low and the simple act of walking into the park can exhaust her. As she tires, her gait alters, making her more likely to trip, which means lots of cuts and bruises. A trip to WDW just wouldn't be an option without her stroller.

We have a handicapped placard. We had to get our doctor's approval (which is not as simple as many think - no doctor I've met would want to risk their license by by providing fraudulent information).

We understand that the lot may fill, so we try to get there early. We have found that they often create overflow handicapped lots if they anticipate heavier crowds. If an early arrival is not possible, another alternative is to use the wonderful transportation provided by WDW.

I understand how very frustrating it can be not to get a spot when you have a very real need. But the odds are good that the vast majority of folks who got there before you have an equal need.

snifflesmcg
07-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Aside from the people that you personally know, how do you know the health of other people? Not everyone has a problem that is readily visible to the eyes. Doesn't make them any less handicapped. Here are just a few: enlarged heart, MS, asthma, lupus, cancer, angina, arthritis, back problems, recent surgery,transplant patients, etc. So when you see someone who looks fine, just think of a few of these and be thankful you don't need the special plates.

How do you know I don't? I have heel spurs so bad that after 2 hours of walking my feet are killing me. However, I don't ask for any special treatment.

I know people who work full time jobs standing on their feet all day and have the plates, another one for obesity and another their 5 yr old child who is autistic and another for asthma. None of these are handicapped in my book.

mttafire
07-31-2007, 12:16 AM
I agree with you Pete from NYC! Here in NC, you can get a temp. placard while pregnant. Though there are some who may need it, there are many who don't. My step-sister had one, because she said her hips hurt. She used it for 6months then for 3 afterward. I called her out once in front of our family with her grandmother around (whose 93) and she denied it. I told her I just saw her parked in a space and I knew it was her because I saw her get into her van. She just got mad and walked away.

I've seen it so many times and it angers me to no end. They get out and run into a store. My step-dad usually drops his mom off at the door, someone gets out with her, and he parks in a regular space.

There are so many others who really need those spaces and I agree, a stroller does not qualify as an assistive device in my world. I try not to judge when I see someone in a "long term" space like WDW, but in the grocery store parking space, if they just jump out of the car, regardless of their history or present condition, that is often abuse of privilage and I have seen this by strangers and aquaintenances alike. If the HP is in the car and chooses to wai in the car, then the space is not necessary for the driver or store patron and a regular space should be utilized.

It should be remembered that the use of the space is privilage for you, not a right. Sure there should be the spaces available, and I think there should actually be more, especially with our aging population, but don't abuse it.

Just my :twocents:...
100% agreed.:thumbsup:

princessjojo
07-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Then I guess my daughter, a stroke survivor, doesn't qualify as disabled in your world, either. DD8 does not use a wheelchair, but has a stroller designed to handle kids up to around 100 lbs. It looks very much like a regular stroller.
No, your daughter's case is not what I was talking about, and yes, I am familiar with those strollers, as we used both the stroller and a wheelchair for several months after my son's accident, but we didn't use a HP space either and he could not walk, period. I felt wrong about it, I guess because I knew that I could put him in his chair and push from any space in the lot.

I'm sorry if you felt I was discrediting your use of any HP space. That was not my intention at all.

crazypoohbear
07-31-2007, 02:15 AM
How do you know I don't? I have heel spurs so bad that after 2 hours of walking my feet are killing me. However, I don't ask for any special treatment.

I know people who work full time jobs standing on their feet all day and have the plates, another one for obesity and another their 5 yr old child who is autistic and another for asthma. None of these are handicapped in my book.

HUH???? These aren't handicaps????
Wow, when was this decided?
Well, I'll be sure to tell my friends with autistic children that they are cured! Thanks be to GOD!

Have you ever tried walking in the heat and humidity while having an asthma attack??

Had your asthma kick in because of the pollen from the flowers or trees???
Do you know the sheer panic of NOT being able to catch your breath???

Have you ever been morbidly obese and had you legs give out from underneath you because of the weight you carry?

Have you ever sat in a doctor's office and been told that your child is autistic and will never be "normal"???
Have you tried lifting a 100 lb child with autism off the floor because they have decided they don't want to walk any longer??
OR had to try to control an out of control "mini adult" having a fit because of something locked in their brain that you don't understand and can not begin to comprehend!

As for heel spurs, I have them also, I don't consider this a handicap, with surgery, orthopedics, physical therapy etc this can all be cured.
Autism, Asthma can not be cured!
Obesity is also a very serious medical condition that you can die from. Being obese is only one thing, you forget the stress on the heart, high blood pressure, diabetes, stoke, all the other things that come with it.

snifflesmcg
07-31-2007, 02:42 AM
HUH???? These aren't handicaps????
Wow, when was this decided?
Well, I'll be sure to tell my friends with autistic children that they are cured! Thanks be to GOD!

Have you ever tried walking in the heat and humidity while having an asthma attack??

Had your asthma kick in because of the pollen from the flowers or trees???
Do you know the sheer panic of NOT being able to catch your breath???

Have you ever been morbidly obese and had you legs give out from underneath you because of the weight you carry?

Have you ever sat in a doctor's office and been told that your child is autistic and will never be "normal"???
Have you tried lifting a 100 lb child with autism off the floor because they have decided they don't want to walk any longer??
OR had to try to control an out of control "mini adult" having a fit because of something locked in their brain that you don't understand and can not begin to comprehend!

As for heel spurs, I have them also, I don't consider this a handicap, with surgery, orthopedics, physical therapy etc this can all be cured.
Autism, Asthma can not be cured!
Obesity is also a very serious medical condition that you can die from. Being obese is only one thing, you forget the stress on the heart, high blood pressure, diabetes, stoke, all the other things that come with it.

What I am saying is, parking spaces should be for the extreme handicapped. The rate this country is going, we are going to have plates for everything from depression to ADD. RIDICULOUS!

In fact, I AM overweight and probably considered obsese.....again, I don't ask for special treatment OR special plates.

The definition of handicapped is incapacitaded by injury or illness. Asthma is neither. This does not merit a handicapped parking spot. My sister has asthma.

As far as the autistic child, he has a very mild case of it. Put him next to another 5 yr old you can't even tell. Does this merit special parking as well? That's to say that everyone with a child should get special plates as well.

These are all disablities......they all are not deserving of special parking. Meanwhile, the kid with a broken leg has to walk with crutches all the way to the gate or there aren't enough spaces for the 70 yr old man with a wheelchair.

mickey&missy
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
I so didn't want to get involved in this debate when I started reading this thread. But, something lit a fire in me.

I'm sorry, but autism is a severe handicap. Yes, I know there are less severe types of autism but a child who has full blown autism is severely handicapped!

Exactly!

I hate to say it people but, we are not doctors and we don't know whats wrong with people. Just because they don't appear to have a handicap doesn't mean they don't.

I too would be annoyed and frustrated if I needed to park in a handicap space and couldn't. I know there are people who have handicap plates/placards that don't need them and are completely taking advantage. Perhaps disney needs to rethink the number of handicapped spaces they have. Maybe the didn't realize how many handicapped park guests they would have.

But, please, lets not be ignorant and assume something we know nothing about is not a handicap because it's never affected us. Remember, you can't judge a book by its cover.

Jeff
07-31-2007, 08:51 AM
OK Folks! That's enough!
Lets all take a deep breath! There you go. Breathe in, breathe out, move on!

This thread need not break down into accusations and personal comments.

Have a great day all!:thumbsup:

Minniemouse27
07-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Ya know, my mom battled cancer for 10yrs. The last half of them she had a handicapped placard hanging from her mirror.

If you looked at her, you probably wouldn't know that cancer had deposited itself on her bones and ate away at her hip socket..be we did, as did her drs.

Mom could drive and get around but she was in pain pretty much all the time. She had a scooter but it was a lot of trouble to pull out to just run into a supermarket for something, etc... so she would lean on the cart as she walked around the store instead.

Many times we would stop at the market to pick something up and all the handicapped spaces would be filled, so she would send me in to the store. While she was waiting, Mom would make sure they had plates or placards and if they didn't she would park her big honking station wagon across the backs of the cars and wait for them to come out! :mad:

She was fine if they actually did have a pass but couldn't see it, but if they didn't...she gave them what for!:rant:

Don't judge people by what you see...you don't know why they are parking there.

crazypoohbear
07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Mom would make sure they had plates or placards and if they didn't she would park her big honking station wagon across the backs of the cars and wait for them to come out! :mad:

She was fine if they actually did have a pass but couldn't see it, but if they didn't...she gave them what for!:rant:

Don't judge people by what you see...you don't know why they are parking there.

My mother would do the same thing!!!
Except sometimes she would have us call the police (back when we had to get out and use the pay phone!) She would wait there and watch the person without the handicap come breezing out and watch as they saw the $100.00 ticket!
My mother also LOOKED healthy as a horse and LOOKED like a big strong woman.
She was not! she had MS. She could walk into a store just fine (as long as it wasn't too hot) But what you didn't see was that she would get into the store and have to stop and sit for awhile. She would get home from the grocery store and have to lay down the rest of the afternoon because the bread and milk run to the grocery store debilitated her for the day.

Only being able to participate in small bits of a regular day due to a medical condition is considered a debilitating handicap.

Flower
07-31-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't want to get into the 'who is more handicapped' debate, I just wanted to add that the Diamond AAA parking is located BESIDE the handicapped zones. To get to the AAA parking you follow the same lines to the front of the parking area (Red line for AAA,Blue line for handicapped). The people with strollers may have been parked where they were allowed to be.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-31-2007, 10:19 PM
OK Folks! That's enough!
Lets all take a deep breath! There you go. Breathe in, breathe out, move on!

This thread need not break down into accusations and personal comments.

Have a great day all!:thumbsup:

I'd love to take a deep breath, but my asthma has been so bad lately, that's extremely hard to do. And no, I don't have HP plates or a placard.

But I understand what you mean. This can be a very hot topic for those of us with handicapped family/friends.

Cinderelley
07-31-2007, 11:33 PM
[FONT=Tahoma] I try not to judge when I see someone in a "long term" space like WDW, but in the grocery store parking space, if they just jump out of the car, regardless of their history or present condition, that is often abuse of privilage and I have seen this by strangers and aquaintenances alike. [FONT=Tahoma]Just my :twocents:...

I have a muscular problem. I can "jump" out of my car just fine, but my muscle pain and tiredness increase as I use them. On bad days, my kids have to run ahead and grab a grocery cart for me to lean on. On good days, I park somewhere other than the disabled parking so that others who are having a bad day can use them. On my in-between days, I could be one of those people that you are judging without knowing the whole story.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Here is what happened to us......

A few years back my Dad joined us at WDW. My Dad has a Handicapped license plate on his van at home. He has metal in his back form multiple surgeries, nerve damage and limited neck mobility. At the time he used a cane occassionally but mostly relied on a rented wheelchair. Since we did not drive and had a rental car we did not have the handicap plate and my dad did not have a placard at the time. We did have a notorized statement from the doctor explaining that there was not enough time to apply for the placard and that he had a physical plate on his van in Pittsburgh. It seemed the guard at the parking facility understood and let us park in the reserved handicap lot. We left the notorized note on the dash. Well when we came out we had a $250 ticket on the car. My Mom and I took the ticket to the guest relations manager at Epcot and she basically told us to take a flying leap. She told us that someone reported us, meaning a guest, and the police were called to issue a ticket with no questions asked. Well needless to say we hit the roof. 2 days of our vacation were wasted trying to get it resolved. Time was running out to pay the ticket or return to court in FLORIDA in 14 days after issue. We knew we were in the right so fighting it was the only recourse. Finally after 2 days we had the police agree to wait for a copy of my Dad's plate from the vehicle that was in Pittsburgh. They said after they received the copy we could disregard the ticket. Moral of story. Guests who have nothing better to do than police other guests should take a flying leap. That person who reported us because they just assumed something I could have stangled. It put stress on our family, took 2 days out of our vacation and just plain ticked me off. Those that have nothing better to do than judge others should not breathe. Hopefully those people who do nothing but worry about others will never have to use a handicap plate. I do agree that sometimes handicap placards are given out freely, and the privledge is abused. But honestly that is not my place to judge. They say Karma will get you in the end and hopefully that is true.

Deesdisney
08-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I would have to be one of those that looks normal and has a stroller. I have a pass due to arthritis and hip problems. When you see some one with a stroller and walking normal at the beginning of the day do not over react. Please. It is very hard for me to accept that this is the only way some times to enjoy WDW. I use the stroller as a crutch so I do not have to use a wheelchair. One of these days I will be in a wheelchair but right now I refuse to do WDW in one. At the end of the day I can hardly walk without stopping every 15 to 20 minutes and sitting down in those trams is out of the question. It would take me to long to get off of it. As soon as I sit it takes about 20 minutes to get up. Plus if I ever get the medicine right I will not use it again. So please be nice to us. Cause some of us would rather not use it.

pixiesmimi
08-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I was going to say the same thing about the Diamond Lot and AAA. They have special parking passes for this lot. Also, in June when I went with my DD and her family, the baby got sick and threw up all over everyone. My DSIL couldn't find any shorts to fit him in MK and had to make a quick trip to DTD to get some to change clothes. (That was quicker than going to the off property resort to change). When he came back in the middle of the afternoon, the parking attendants were directing everyone to the Diamond Lot to park because the others were full. He knew he shouldn't be parking there but didn't have a choice. He parked way down at the end to avoid taking a space that belonged to someone who really deserved it. So sometimes, these things are out of our control.