PDA

View Full Version : Is Food and Wine pairing a good deal?

mickey-mouse35
07-29-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking about doing the $45 food and wine pairing at Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival. You get three wines paired with three tasting portions of fine cuisine.

Has anyone done this and enjoyed it? How big are the tasting portions?

wendy*darling
07-29-2007, 08:03 PM
We did one of these a couple years back in Italy.
We thought it was terrific- definitely worth the price. :thumbsup:

The group of about maybe 20 people were seated in a separate area of Alfredo's. The chef and a representative of the sponsoring wine company spoke with us before every course. The portions were small- appetizer size-but just enough to get a nice taste of both the food and the accompanying wine.

We did not feel the need to go out and eat after- it was perfect!

It was fun and informative. We enjoyed the wines and even bought a few at our local wine store when we got home.

If we ever get back to WDW during F&W we will definitely book another of these.

SallyP
07-29-2007, 08:20 PM
In our opinion the Food & Wine pairings are the best money deal of the Special Events.
We've done Alfredo's, Le Cellier and Coral Reef in the past and enjoyed them all.
If you like seafood and are there for the one held in the Seas Salon try to attend. It's a beautiful room upstairs at the Coral Reef and everyone has a view of the tank.

k_reile
07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
do you have to make a reservation for them? We will be in WDW on the first day of F&W only and there are only 2 for that day...can you go between the two of them...or can you only stay at one (since they are at the same time)

SallyP
07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes, you do need reservations for them. The phones open on Monday, 8/6 7:00 a.m. Eastern, 407-WDW-FEST.
They are held in different restaurants so no, I wouldn't think you could go between the two with them being at the same time.

mickey-mouse35
07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks--we'll definitely try to do one and maybe two of these. It's going to be hard to pick which one, though. We're not huge seafood lovers, so I think I'll skip those. Not sure if we should try sake and sushi, mediterranean flavors, Le Cellier or Italy. So many wonderful choices!

Crow
07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Ill b there the first weekend of the fest, so am thinking if i should try one also...will have to look into it

TheRustyScupper
07-30-2007, 04:29 PM
1) If you are true wine connoisseur, no.
2) Otherwise, yes.
3) Most people do not try different wines.
4) They especially do not pick wines for the food.
5) A properly selected wine can really add to the meal segments.
6) DEFINITELY go for the pairing, if offered.

NOTE: As an example, say a Cabernet is a good choice for one kind of meat. Now, is it better to have a fruity one, a stout one, a hearty one? A good sommelier can help here. A wine pairing is "usually" a good choice.

mickey-mouse35
07-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks, definitely think we'll try. For those who have done Italy and Le Cellier, can you post what you had? Which was better, in your opinion?

wdwnomad
08-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I too would like to know people's experiences with the Italy and/or Canada Wine Pairing. I would like to do one of them and have it narrowed down to them (or Sweet Sundays). Hearing what anyone had or experienced might help me decide which one I should do. Thanks!

Natazu
08-02-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks, definitely think we'll try. For those who have done Italy and Le Cellier, can you post what you had? Which was better, in your opinion?
Oh, I forgot to tell you, we're doing Italy but not Le Cellier. Not that I think Le Cellier's pairing will be bad, it's just that Contemporary Northwestern Flavors usually means salmon and that's just not my bag.

LAST YEAR - Alfredo's
Note that this was Alfredo's so who knows what All Italy will do.
October 8, 2006
Course 1
Roasted Breast of Duck over Mescal Greens served with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Wine: Banfi Centine Rose
Course 2
Veal Scaloppini di Vitello al Setti Colli Romani
Wine: Banfi Centine Rosso
Course 3
Gianduia Chocolate Mascarpone Semifreddo
with Orange Caramel Sauce
Wine: Banfi Rosa Regale

SallyP
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
For those who have done Italy and Le Cellier, can you post what you had? Which was better, in your opinion?

Better? Just different. :mickey:
Here's a sampling of what we have had at Le Cellier. I've posted Coral Reef on another thread.

Pairing 1
Seared Scallop served with a Puree of Sweet Potato a Brioche crouton and finished with Foi Gras
Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio

Pairing 2
Tomato Poached Shrimp and Spiced Tomato Sauce Served over Angel Hair Pasta
Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva

Pairing 3
Grilled Filet of Beef served over Wild Mushroom Risotto, Finished with Truffle Beurre Blanc and Porcini Dust
Mezzacorona Merlot

To be honest with you it looks more like an Italian food sampling because of the winery represtented.
We haven't been to Le Cellier in 2 years for the F&WF pairing because we are concerned about the wines being Canadian. They are just not to our tastes. Yes, we have tried them and toured the Okanagan Valley but we just don't care for them.

Disney_Barbie
08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Here's a silly question. I am a vegitarian. I love wine tastings (we've been to a couple, nothing too fancy thought) and I'd really like to try the food & wine pairing. Would that be a crazy thing to do since I most likely will not be able to eat most of the food they 'pair' the wine with (I don't eat seafood either).
I do'nt mind skipping a course because it's meat, but I'd like to experience as much as I can. Any Veggies ever been or anyone have recommendations of a session where I could enjoy at least some of the pairings?
Disney is SO accomedating about stuff like this I can't help but wonder if there is a way I could still enjoy the sessoin. Am I being crazy? Should I give up and just do the Cheese Tasting Seminar or the Sweet Sundays instead?