PDA

View Full Version : Kids' meals on DDP?

Mary Chase
07-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I thought I heard that some counter service restaurants will serve a smaller portion of an adult menu item as a kids meal if you child doesn't want anything on the kids menu (we'll be on the DDP). Has anyone had this experience? If so, in which restaurants? My child will eat many things, but does not like peanut butter and jelly and will probably get sick of mac and cheese (which seems to be the offerings at many counter service restaurants). I would also like my child to be able to eat a little healthier. Any advice? We'll be there for a week and I just don't want him eating chicken fingers and mac and cheese all week long. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jenfriend
07-29-2007, 07:00 PM
The dinning plan states that if a child's meal is available, then your child must order from that menu. Many of the table-service restaurants have great choices or buffets for the kids. They usually have a kids buffet, but kids can eat anything in the buffet. Counter service meals will be more limited, but then they are for adult choices too. Every counter service and all but one table service restaurants had a kids meal/menu. Boatwrights at Port-Riverside didn't have a kids menu, so my kids ordered from the regular menu. We still talk about the shrimp cocktail that my 6 yo ordered - it was as big as her head!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
07-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for asking about this. My youngest is allergic to Peanut butter (peanuts). My oldest likes it but he can't have it. My youngest is so allergic he can't even be around it. My children like shrimp and more adult type foods. They love Asian food. So, I'm all for smaller portions of adult food. I hope we can find a solution to this "dining dilemma." If not, I will probably eat their chicken fingers or mac n' cheese so they can get some of my "real food" every now:secret: and then.

TheRustyScupper
07-29-2007, 09:52 PM
1) Kids MUST eat from kids menu, if available.
2) It just makes sense.
3) The DDP for kids is pretty cheap.
4) A kids price wouldn't sustain an adult size meal.

NOTE: For the peanuts allergy - if they can't even be around peanuts, this could be a problem. Although chefs can prepare non-peanut, they can't stop the restaurant from having nuts (like they can on airplanes). In some eateries where nut-dishes are significant, this could be an issue.

Mickey91
07-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Kids CS credits are better used at breakfast. If there is a possibility of getting a kids portion of an adult meal, I have never had the priviledge. Never hurts to ask though. As for TS meals, order something they may like from the menu and let them sample a bit of yours. There is so much food, you won't miss it.

murphy1
07-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Me and my friends are constantly complaining about this with CS meals, it's not fair that a kid should have to eat the same stuff, I mean they can only eat so much mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and grapes or carrots! Even if is was smaller portions of some of what they offer adults. My kids are good eaters, so I'd like to see better offerings, but like someone said we do breakfast c/s or good buffets so they get a great meal.

TheRustyScupper
07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
. . . Me and my friends are constantly complaining about this with CS meals, it's not fair that a kid should have to eat the same stuff, I mean they can only eat so much mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and grapes or carrots! . . .

1) The obvious solution is not to buy/do DDP.
2) DDP is designed to make a profit.
3) They have selected costs for each meal.
4) Options reduce the profit margin.
5) If you elect to buy DDP, then you abide by the rules.
6) It is a shame, but that is the way it is.