PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please!

JessicaRabbit
07-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Our family (me, DH, DS(12), DD#1(11), & DD#2(7) recently had an awesome vacation at Disney during the kiddos' April School Vacation. We stayed at the Poly b/c it was one of mine and DH's faves; it is the resort I've stayed in for the majority of my Disney visits, and b/c this was our first real Disney vacation as a family and I wanted to go all out. Well the trip was so fantastic (the kids are STILL talking about it) that I want to plan another trip back either April or Late Nov. Early Dec. 2008. I want to stay in a different resort, however, and I was hoping you all could give me your opinions.

First off we are a family of 5 - so I'm either going to be looking to house us all in one room (as we did in the Poly) or get two adjoining rooms. I don't think we want to go the "villa" route w/a full kitchen. The kids are definitely water-bugs and utilize the pools a LOT - so I'm looking for a resort with a great pool. DH has said he felt he would like to stay at a resort that was "clean and bright" but close to everything. The kiddos love the freedom to refill their mugs on their own at a resort's foodcourt - so I'm also looking for a resort that has a foodcourt that is accessible to most of the rooms at the resort. We loved being able to take a boat to MK from the Poly - so a resort that has boat transport to a park would be great. Also, we are "early to bed, early to rise" folks so we definitely would like to avoid the noiser, more evening oriented resorts. Oh, and the kids were a tad disappointed that the Poly didn't have a hot tub - so I think they would like to stay at a resort that had one (particularly if we end up going in Nov/Dec.)

So based on all that info (sorry it was so long!) what resorts would you suggest for us? DS would like the GF but I'm thinking that may be too $$$ for us. I've heard great things about the WL but have heard it tends to be on the "dark" side and that may not fit DH's request for "bright" (not that I would rule it out solely for that :mickey:). What about AKL? I know virtually nothing about that one.....

Any opinion/advice/info given is welcome and appreciated!!!:)

Thanks!

Susan

SBETigg
07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I would go with the Grand Floridian. It's not that much more than the Polynesian, actually. The AKL has the same sort of dark feel to the rooms that the WL has, from what I understand. Plus, the WL and AKL aren't cut out for five in a room unless you get a suite at WL. You might also try the Beach or Yacht Club, but make sure you have a room with a day bed. Great pool, light and bright feel, but I'm not sure they are as good at accommodating 5 as the Poly/GF.

wedway fan
07-27-2007, 02:18 PM
have never stayed there, but i'm sure you'll get plenty of votes for POR/POFQ from other intercotees. seems to meet all your criteria- fits 5, great pool, great food court. not sure if it's "bright" enough, though- more of a southern, easy-livin' atmosphere.

NJMan66
07-27-2007, 03:23 PM
At first I would have said the Animal Kingdom lodge, but to meet your criteria 100% I would suggest you stay at the Wilderness Lodge. You can get two adjoining rooms; one with bunkbeds, and the pool is amazing!

GrmGrninGost
07-27-2007, 04:27 PM
No doubt in my mind, the Wilderness Lodge! :mickey:

offwego
07-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok I'm flying off in a different direction...but.

Have you considered the Beach club?
It offers the following:
Bright colours (kinda pastels and white thing)
Amazing pool (and hot tub) complete with sand bottoms
Boat access (to Epcot and MGM)
Across the lake night life (not in your backyard but where you can get to a family themed disney version of a boardwalk) and I'm pretty sure they can have 5 fairly easily as they offer a daybed which may be handy with DS.

Might be worth considering if pools are a big driver for you.

wendy*darling
07-27-2007, 09:11 PM
:ditto:

I've got to add my vote in for the Beach Club.
You can fit 5 (there is a daybed like at the Poly)
The pool is the hands down BEST on property!! You might even find it hard to get the kids to leave and go into the parks!
There is the BC Marketplace for mug refills, and light foods. No real "food court" at the deluxes, but a decent counter service place.

I would vote against the WL or AKL- they do not fit 5 in one room, and I don't think it's worth it to pay for 2 deluxe rooms.

If you want to go with Port Orleans- Riverside, they do have some rooms in Alligator Bayou with a trundle bed for a small-ish child- and so they can fit 5. POR is the only moderate that can hold 5 people.
Port Orleans- French Quarter only accommodates 4 per room, but since it's a moderate, 2 rooms may work well for you.

Back to the Beach Club- you are right in the heart of things. Boat access to 2 parks, a lovely walk right into Epcot. The Boardwalk right across the way. Lots of great dining options. A relaxed, beach-y feel.
It's my favorite resort on property! :thumbsup:

5fromabove
07-27-2007, 09:33 PM
We put 7 of us in one of the rooms with a day bed (granted, 2 of them were 2 and under). You could sleep very comfortably with 5 in there, I'm sure your girls could share a queen and your DS would fit on the daybed. Our DD was 12 when she slept on it. The pool is absolutely amazing...3 acres, a sand bottom, a whirlpool, a cool slide, a lazy river, etc etc etc etc. They have a great ice-cream shop (Beaches and Cream) that is wonderful. You can WALK to Epcot and the Boardwalk area. It's a quick boatride to MGM. It is VERY light and bright and clean and wonderful. I could go on and on...but looks like other people have filled you in nicely on it too. :) Good luck with your decision! :) :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
The Yacht and Beach Club has an AWESOME pool :swim:

mouseketeer mom
07-27-2007, 10:19 PM
We're a family of 5 too! Its myself, DH, and kids DD 13, DD 11, DS 7. Poly is a favorite of ours, but we have stayed other places.
From what you described, The Beach Club sounds like a perfect fit for you!!!! The pool is amazing, ..a lazy river, great slides, a wading pool with sand for the little ones, a few hot tubs, a section of the pool that is a "whirlpool".(my kids loved that!!!) Family friendly, bright, happy, close to Epcot..Perfect! We really enjoyed it alot, and would return.
We stayed at the WL twice..once in a deluxe, once in a villa. My DH loved the villas. It was huge, but too quiet and dark for my taste.
AKL felt too far away from anything for us. I don't know that we would return there.
If we can't stay at the Poly...I would chose the Beach Club, or WL..but it sounds like the Beach Club has everything you are looking for!! My kids loved it!!!! We did too.

TooGoofy
07-28-2007, 06:49 AM
When I was reading your post, I immediately thought "Beach Club!" In my opinion, Yacht Club is a little darker and more reserved...Beach Club is bright and cheery. The pool is amazing, there is a great hot tub, boat transport to MGM & Epcot...it sounds perfect for you!

Maleficent's Dad
07-28-2007, 08:51 AM
First off we are a family of 5 - so I'm either going to be looking to house us all in one room (as we did in the Poly) or get two adjoining rooms. I don't think we want to go the "villa" route w/a full kitchen.
This would require a deluxe resort to handle all 5 in one room. The exceptions would be AKL and WL - they don't handle 5 to a room. You'd also have to make it known when you book that you need a room for 5. Some rooms at POR can also handle 5 people. I don't know about suites at the All-Stars and if they handle 5 or not.

The kids are definitely water-bugs and utilize the pools a LOT - so I'm looking for a resort with a great pool.
Best pool is SAB at the YC/BC.
Poly, GF have zero entry pools for a resort fitting your description. We also enjoy Luna Park pool at the BW.

DH has said he felt he would like to stay at a resort that was "clean and bright" but close to everything.
BC would fit this perfectly - close EPCOT, BW, & MGM. It's a bright, cheery resort.

The kiddos love the freedom to refill their mugs on their own at a resort's foodcourt - so I'm also looking for a resort that has a foodcourt that is accessible to most of the rooms at the resort.
Most resorts will satisfy this need. BC has three locations to fill your mugs - the BC Marketplace inside, and two out of door locations (B&C ice cream shop & Hurricane Hanna's, both located near the pool). But this convenience is found at most WDW resorts.

We loved being able to take a boat to MK from the Poly - so a resort that has boat transport to a park would be great. Also, we are "early to bed, early to rise" folks so we definitely would like to avoid the noiser, more evening oriented resorts. Oh, and the kids were a tad disappointed that the Poly didn't have a hot tub - so I think they would like to stay at a resort that had one (particularly if we end up going in Nov/Dec.)
Still have to go with the BC here.
BC has a boat to MGM & EPCOT (although it's much quicker to walk to EPCOT than boat it).
We're also an "early to bed/rise" family. Main pool at the BC closes (usually) by 9 PM, and Illuminations is over by 9:20 PM, so most of the noise is over and done by that time. BW is much more lively in the evening.
BC has several hot tubs - your kids will have a blast trying to "find" them in SAB!

DS would like the GF but I'm thinking that may be too $$$ for us. I've heard great things about the WL but have heard it tends to be on the "dark" side and that may not fit DH's request for "bright" (not that I would rule it out solely for that :mickey:). What about AKL? I know virtually nothing about that one.....
GF is tops. But also expensive.
WL & AKL have similar "feels" as they both have amazing (albeit 'dark') lobbies. In these resorts, you'll need two rooms, however.

I've got to go with the majority here, the BC definitely seems to fit your bill.

Sorry for the long winded post. We love the BC, and I think it would fit your needs perfectly! The only downside is that you won't have the view of the MK (nor will you be as close to the MK Park). But EPCOT is, quite literally, right next door! :mickey:

MickyLuver
07-28-2007, 09:45 AM
BEACH CLUB!!! The previous posts say it all! You won't be disappointed. You can walk to EPCOT and MGM. Have time planning. :mickey:

Disnamic Duo
07-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Not that I think it'd be your best choice, but you CAN get a room for 5 at AKL - contrary to what several have said here in this thread. The deluxe rooms will accomodate 5 people. I'm not positive, but I'd imagine WL is the same way (since they're very simmilar resorts).

disneymom2000
07-29-2007, 10:47 PM
While reading your post, you described the Beach Club accurately. I have returned to this resort for the very reasons you described. I love the bright colorful rooms, the boat to Epcot and the Studios, the pool (absolutely awesome) and in the winter most pools at the resorts are heated up. They have the refillable mugs. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

JessicaRabbit
07-31-2007, 08:48 AM
It does sound like the BC will be perfect for us! Thank you for all of your opinions and input! I knew you guys could help me out! :rocks:

BigRedDad
07-31-2007, 09:15 AM
From the sound of it, your family kind of likes things more luxurious. The way to consider the resorts at WDW is Deluxe=Hotel, Mod/Value=Motel. Deluxe resorts have interior hallways to your rooms and the others open to the public.

In order to fit 5 in one place, Deluxe is the only way to go. As others have said, BC is probably going to be the best fit for your criteria. Boat to MGM, short walk to Epcot, Boardwalk across the pond, best resort pool.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
07-31-2007, 11:58 AM
dang, you guys make me want to book a room at the beach club...lol