PDA

View Full Version : upgrade more likey in the evening then in the morning?

LiloLovesTheKing26
07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Of course we all go hoping we will get an upgrade but I never have. I have decided this time to just ask. It won't hurt all they can do is say no. My only problem is is that we wil be checking in fairly early. I know our room won't be ready but since it is early do you think that kills the chance to getting the upgrade? Or is it completly random? We are checking in 3rd week of september! thanks!

k_reile
07-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't know...but I am hoping for an upgrade also...but I do not think I can bring myself to ask though. Our flight lands at 12:45pm so we should be there early afternoon...we also will be there at the end of the 3rd week of September and into the 4th week.

Polynesian Dweller
07-27-2007, 02:26 PM
It never hurts to ask, at any hotel, not just Disney. But time of day is likely to have a lot less to do with it than how booked the hotel is. If its heavily to completely booked then you won't likely get an upgrade. If its lightly booked then you have a chance.

Hotels may not grant your request right away but if its moderately to lightly booked they may tell you that if you are willing to wait to check in they can let you know later on. They will still hold a room for you under those circumstances.

TikiGoddess
07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
We checked into the WL at 9am on our last trip, and received an upgrade (standard to courtyard) without even asking! Don't know how that happened.... pixie dust, I guess!

TikiG

Jen C.
07-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Just curious...Do you intend to ask for a free upgrade right out of the gate, or will you ask if there are any available, or what it might cost to upgrade? Kudos to you, I could/would never do it.

We received an upgrade on our last visit~CR Tower view to CR concierge, without asking. We arrived at a very busy mid-afternoon time. The room was pre-assigned. The CM didn't say, "you get an upgrade". For all he knew, that was what we paid for. It was done long before check-in, I'm certain.

Gotta Love the TTA
07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I've read posts from people who claim to be front desk CMs.

Their story is that free upgrades are given for operational reasons--the most typical being that a particular class of room is over-booked.

My Midwestern reticence wil not allow me to ask for something for nothing, and personally, I think it's bad form bordering on rude. We all can very well imagine nasty scenes at the desk when someone demands something he didn't pay for and is told "no."

I am a firm believer in paying for what you want. If a certain view is important to you, just pay for it and don't pin your hopes on a upgrade that probably won't happen.

What you might do is ask how much an upgrade to water view/courtyard view/king room/ concierge would cost. Do your homework before you go so that you know. You might be surprised with a discounted price for the upgrade.

TheRustyScupper
07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I've read posts from people who claim to be front desk CMs.

Their story is that free upgrades are given for operational reasons--the most typical being that a particular class of room is over-booked.

1) Correct, there ARE specific reasons for upgrades. Example:
. . . sell a class room at full rack rate (first biggest reason)
. . . overbooked room type or view (second reason)
. . . mechanical problems with rooms
. . . housekeeping problems
2) Most are done well in-advance of people's arrival.
3) However, there are some Pixie Dust upgrades.
4) When available, this is STRICTLY up to the CM to suggest.
5) NEVER did/do I give a free upgrade when someone asks.
6) It is felt the guest is trying to get something for nothing.
7) Otherwise, the CM just seems to like you and voilą!

Mickey 101
07-28-2007, 02:59 AM
The Rusty Scupper.........

1. Are you a front desk CM?

2. I didn't understand the first biggest reason.
Would you mind explaining?

3. Thank you.

Donalds Duckie
07-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Personally, I could never ask for an upgrade without clearly asking to buy it.

Example, Dec. 2005 I booked a garden view room at Yacht Club. Upon arrival at I was so excited and the resort/view was so nice it was worth me PAYING for an upgrade. So, I asked the CM, "I would like to buy an upgrade if there are there are any water view rooms available." The CM very happily and politely got to work checking and granting my request.

Now, there were only 2 water view rooms available and the couple checking in right next to me asked for an upgrade without the offer to buy it. Our CMs talked briefly and gave me, a solo traveler, the king bed in a great location and gave the couple the 2 queen beds in a less convenient location. That couple got a bit upset and were told "she is buying her upgrade". Boy, did I get some uphappy looks from that couple. While we were both granted an upgrade, paying for the upgrade got me the better room/location.

Was it worth the $$$? Absolutely!:cloud9: It was a perfect room/location that I would request my next stays at YC!

Rusty Scupper, do CMs get upset when guests make it very clear from the beginning they want to BUY the upgrade if it's available? I want to be sure I'm not out of line asking to purchase an upgrade. Many times I book a standard view (even at non-Disney hotels/resorts) then I arrive at the resort and decide I really do want that better view.

TheRustyScupper
07-28-2007, 10:53 AM
. . . do CMs get upset when guests make it very clear from the beginning they want to BUY the upgrade if it's available? . . .

1) No one actually gets "upset" when folks ask for free upgrades.
2) More of a case of disappointment in human nature.
3) Of course, the guest DOES get talked about later!
4) Normally, not in complementary terms.
5) Many CM's just don't like moochers!
6) As for asking for a PURCHASED upgrade, no problem.
7) At least the folks are wanting something for which they'll pay.
8) It can result with a free upgrade.
9) If the upgrade is available, it up to the CM's discretion to request.
10) I've occassionally seen discounted upgrades, when free one weren't available.

Donalds Duckie
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much RustyScupper!:mickey:

I did not want to ask to purchase upgrades in the future if it is inapproriate to do so. I try and book the particular views I want when I make my reservation or upgrade the view before I travel. However, there are still times I think I may not "need" more than a standard view at booking but change my mind when I arrive at the resort.

Now, just 34 days to CR Tower MK View!:cloud9:

Wrigley
07-28-2007, 02:37 PM
We checked in pretty early in the morning to the WL and we had reserved a plain ol standard room; however, when we arrived they told us that we had been upgraded to a Villa with no extra charge!:cloud9: It was wonderful. A true Disney magic moment!!:mickey:

irish1967
07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
1) Correct, there ARE specific reasons for upgrades. Example:
. . . sell a class room at full rack rate (first biggest reason)
. . . overbooked room type or view (second reason)
. . . mechanical problems with rooms
. . . housekeeping problems
2) Most are done well in-advance of people's arrival.
3) However, there are some Pixie Dust upgrades.
4) When available, this is STRICTLY up to the CM to suggest.
5) NEVER did/do I give a free upgrade when someone asks.
6) It is felt the guest is trying to get something for nothing.
7) Otherwise, the CM just seems to like you and voilą!

I have heard #5 from a former front desk CM as well (regarding FREE upgrades - not someone willing to purchase and upgrade)

Polynesian Dweller
07-30-2007, 12:13 PM
1) No one actually gets "upset" when folks ask for free upgrades.
2) More of a case of disappointment in human nature.
3) Of course, the guest DOES get talked about later!
4) Normally, not in complementary terms.
5) Many CM's just don't like moochers!
6) As for asking for a PURCHASED upgrade, no problem.
7) At least the folks are wanting something for which they'll pay.
8) It can result with a free upgrade.
9) If the upgrade is available, it up to the CM's discretion to request.
10) I've occassionally seen discounted upgrades, when free one weren't available.
Normally, when you are asking for an upgrade you are not necessarily asking for free. However, asking for one does not necessarily mean one is a moocher and that shouldn't be assumed. (I've owned a hotel at one point). If the hotel doesn't want to give one or requires a fee, there is nothing wrong with that as a reply either. I would tell CMs as I told my staff, just look at it as another transaction without assuming anything about your customer.