PDA

View Full Version : bringing juice boxes for the kids in our packed luggage.

goofiecrazy
07-27-2007, 01:05 PM
I was thinking of taking some juice boxes for the kids on our next trip and was thinking of packing them in our bags.We have several of the big duffel kind from LL Bean.SO I was going to get the juice boxes that come packed in the box already and just wrap a towel around it so they wouldnt get smashed or hopefully break open while we travel.Then that way kids could have a something to drink instead of spending $$ on sodas.So has who has done this and who has a problem with them in their bag? I would put them in a carry on but now u cant do that.

BigRedDad
07-27-2007, 01:11 PM
I would not bring juices boxes at all. The cargo hold on planes are not pressurized (if you are flying). This could cause the drink boxes to explode.

If you are not flying, you can ignore this post.

BelleBeauty
07-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't take the juice boxes. You may want to buy some small water bottles and get the little packets that you stir in to make them into juice.

SBETigg
07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I agree that it sounds risky if you're flying. You could box them up and ship them to your hotel before you go or look into ordering from a grocery service there. The resort gift shops and food courts also sell things that might work out okay. Sometimes, it is worth paying for the convenience.

KylesMom
07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
We did this to save some $$$ when DS was 2 & 3 several years ago. However, each juice box was placed in ziplock bags, then bagged again, then put in Tupperware containers, then wrapped with clothes around it in a hard shell suitcase to avoid accidents with ours (and others) luggage. DS still doesn't drink pop, but now we buy the resort refillable mugs - there are other options he can choose from (Powerade, Apple Juice, Lemonade, Water). Much simpler! :blush:

If you are going to go this route, I'd ensure that if one box splits, the mess can be contained in a plastic bag or Tupperware and cleaned up later. I would also suspect that whatever you carry it in will be opened up and inspected by the TSA.

luvdiznee
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Would FREEZING them first, then putting them in plastic ziplocs then maybe another container help? :confused:

vamaggie
07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
If you do this I would definately suggest ziploc bags. Towels will help cushion but will not contain breakage. You could always use Garden Grocer if you don't want to pack drinks. They sponsor Intercot and though I have not used them I read great things about them here.

KylesMom
07-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Would FREEZING them first, then putting them in plastic ziplocs then maybe another container help?

I think that would create another problem - condensation from the frozen items/container seeping through to your clothes and other items . . .

luvdiznee
07-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I think that would create another problem - condensation from the frozen items/container seeping through to your clothes and other items . . .

Even in my "Lock & Lock" containers...;)

Clotho
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I will echo the "get it delivered" sentiment. The weight alone would deter me from wanting to pack these.

gardengrocer.com is your friend. You can not only get your juice boxes, but get some breakfast items delivered so you can eat your morning meals in the room, and save money and time. Maybe some waters and other essentials.

Catzle
07-27-2007, 05:43 PM
This past May we posted this same question. And decided to do it. We packed in our luggage, mountain dew, water and juice. We doubled bagged everything in grocery bags for the just in case instance. We didn't have anything leak or explode and everything was perfect when we arrived. We really felt this saved us a lot of money especially on water. We would do this again next year. I would just double bag everything just in case.

DawsonAR
07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
My daughter has to drink pedisure with every meal. We pack it in our checked luggage. We haven't ever had a problem. The TSA will search the bag with the liquid in it.

scootch713
07-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I have used a regular suitcase and checked it in also(for the past three years.. no problems ever). If you buy like the koolaid or capri sun that come like 10 in a box.... just pack the whole box. or two.... I pack one suitcase with nothign but drinks and snacks(it can weigh up to 50 lbs before they charge you more). Then you also have that suitcase to put souveniers in for the trip home.

PAMOUSELOVER
07-27-2007, 09:34 PM
goofiecrazy,
:mickey: I have done this many times sucessfully with out no leaks!
Buy the juice bags, capri sun or kool aid are two I know off hand that make them.
I take the big freezer bags and pack as many juice bags as I can fit in the bag. I then pack them in the luggage.
We also have taken bottle water, and SWEET ICE TEA!:secret:
Also, if you dont have a hotel with a ref. to freeze them to take to the parks, ask any CM at a food stand for a cup of ice and pour it into the cup. Have a great time!

I was thinking of taking some juice boxes for the kids on our next trip and was thinking of packing them in our bags.We have several of the big duffel kind from LL Bean.SO I was going to get the juice boxes that come packed in the box already and just wrap a towel around it so they wouldnt get smashed or hopefully break open while we travel.Then that way kids could have a something to drink instead of spending $$ on sodas.So has who has done this and who has a problem with them in their bag? I would put them in a carry on but now u cant do that.

DizneyRox
07-28-2007, 08:50 AM
You need to be very careful of the weight restrictions many carriers are imposing on checked bags now. Liquids are very heavy relatively speaking. Going ove rthe weight limit and having to pay heavy bag fees will quickly eat up any money saved on bringing your own.

We have had problems staying under the limit with just clothes lately, I can't imagine bringing enough liquids to really make any sort of savings appear on drinks. We do a grocery stop and usually buy about 4 gallons of water and such.

Minniemouse27
07-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm picky about my kids' juice boxes and their snacks so we will be either packing them or mailing them down ahead of time.

I've looked at Garden Grocer's site and can't find any of the juices or snacks that I buy here (no high fructose corn syrup, 100% juice... some organic, and snacks w/o any trans fats or partially hydrogenated oils).

I'm still going back and forth about mailing down a box beforehand vs packing in our checked baggage.

Oh and just an FYI, those little packets of drink mix made to go into bottles of water... 99% of them have artificial sweeteners, if that is something important to you or not.

goofiecrazy
07-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I wonder what the price would be if we sent the juice down from home along with other food snacks etc?

snifflesmcg
07-28-2007, 04:23 PM
This is a popular topic. This is the third one of these I answered this week.

Anyway, last year I checked in at the airport, a small suitcase filled with all kinds of goodies. In that suitcase was, a few bottles of water, a 6 pk of minute maid oj in plastic bottles, a quart of parlimate milk (carton), 2 bottles of alcohol (plastic bottles):secret: and several capri sun pouches. ALL of it was just fine when we got our luggage from DME.

I think you will be just fine in bringing juice boxes or whatever you want in your luggage.....as long as it's not glass.

wildernesslady
07-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I use a duffel bag type suitcase for this. I got a rubbermaid container that fits inside, and load it with water and juice boxes. There is also enough room on the side for the container for cereal and snacks. It really has saved a lot of money. We have never has a problem.

disneyfan328
07-29-2007, 08:45 PM
ok here is my take on this whole thing. I have thought of doing it both ways but no final decision yet. I belive that I am going to just use garden grocer. It is a 12.00 delivery fee if you don't order 200.00 worth of products but I totally feel that is worth it considering it will be 2.50 or more per bottle of water that we would buy in the parks. I have thought of doing the whole suitcase thing but hubby doesn't want me packing anything heave (ie water or juice boxes) in it since he will be the one lugging it all over the airport ect. we are going to take snacks and cereal in it. juice and water and 1/2 gallon of milk will come from garden grocer.

Now for the other posters who question about shipping a box. I would advise UPS or something other than the postal service or use garden grocer - here's why. My DD - 17 went on a school trip last year to Florida (we live in PA) It was her first trip away from home and we weren't able to go with her. I packed up a bunch of her favorite snacks (including indv. bottles of sunny d and capri suns, some chips, candy, gum, extra film ect. the box cost me almost 17.00 to ship via the postal service AND they didn't want to ship it becuase of the liquids in it. I think that doing it through ups MAY be cheaper, but I really don't know. since it is only 12.00 to get delivery from garden grocer I feel that it is just easier to do it that way and not worry about it. As long as you are not paying cash you don't have to be there when its delivered and anything that needs to be refrigerated will be done by Disney until you pick it up. (ps cases of water are on sale this week 32 bottles for 7.99-8.99 that's pretty good I think. way less that what we would pay at Disney

also for anyone buying milk at the resorts that have food courts. I was told that it is cheaper to buy the milk at the general store vs. the food court. fyi