PDA

View Full Version : Disney; history books....

DisneyorBust
07-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I am interested to start reading more about the history of Walt Disney....the origins of the Walt Disney corp. etc.
Does anyone have book title suggestions for me?
Currently my book collection is mostly Immagineering.

LandFan
07-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Walt Disney by Neil Gabler. It is the most comprehensive book I've ever read on Walt & Co. It almost made me sad by the end of the book but it is the unvarnished truth - I think.

IloveDisney71
07-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I have The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American Way of Life, by Steven Watts. It focuses mainly on Walt Disney and how he built his empire. I really enjoyed reading it and found it very informative. It covers Walt's life from the very beginning of his annimation carreer to his death. It focuses a lot on his impact on the American Economy.

brownie
07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Here are some books to get you started.

Inside the Dream: The Personal Story of Walt Disney by Katherine & Richard Greene
Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando by Richard Foglesong
Walt's Revolution! By the Numbers by Harrison Price
Disney War by James Stewart
Building a Company: Roy O. Disney and the Creation of an Entertainment Empire by Bob Thomas
Storming the Magic Kingdom by John Taylor
Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everybody Else by Kim Masters
The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney Disney and the American Wayof Life by Steven Watts

DisneyorBust
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations!:thumbsup: I look forward to some interesting reading.

handmaidenofprincesses
08-01-2007, 07:13 PM
This morning I raided the public library's bookshelves for Walt Disney related reading and I came up with 2 really good ones:

Walt Disney: the Triumph of the American Imagination by Neal Gabler (haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's one of the best ever)

Walt Disney's World of Fantasy by Adrian Bailey

I started World of Fantasy this morning around noon and I'm almost halfway through. It's a fast read, with lots of pictures, but it's also pretty in-depth. I'm really enjoying it.