PDA

View Full Version : Chicago, IL

MMouse6937
07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
We are leaving Tues for a conference at the Hyatt in Chicago. We are going to have some time for sight seeing and food. Anyone have any suggestions, comments, etc? Never been so I'm very excited to see some new things. Thanks! :thumbsup:

PeterPanFan
07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Eat Deep Dish Pizza at Ginos East.

You cant go wrong with any of our Museums.

Navy Pier is ver nice.

Also if you like shopping there is always the Mag Mile on Michigan Ave.

have fun eat pizza

Donald
07-27-2007, 12:38 PM
1)You can go see Wicked.
2)Go Shopping!!!!!!!!
3)Go to the beach.
4)The Aquarium is really nice (go early!)
5)Check out the museums-sometimes they have special exhibits.

BethieTink
07-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I lived in Chicago for 8 years and it is a wonderful city. One of the best eating cities in the world. Here are some suggestions -

Sai Cafe - Japanese and the best sushi ever
Emilios or Cafe BaBaReeba - wonderful Spanish tapas
Carsons for ribs
Lou Malnati's or Giordano's for pizza
Also, if you want to venture out for Polish food, Chicago has some great ones. My favorite was Czerwone Jablusko.

Have fun,
Beth

heart4princephillip
07-27-2007, 01:35 PM
I love Chicago! One of my all time favorite cities! If you love architecture, this is a great city to visit.

1) Check out Sears Tower - amazing views
2) Navy Pier
3) Don't miss Millenium Park
4) Art Institute (next to Millenium Park)
5) Check out the outside of the Tribune Tower
(it has pieces of buildings from all over the
world - commandeered by reporters and
such).
6) Shedd Aquarium
7) Michigan Ave shopping - a.k.a. the
Magnificent Mile

OOhhh...I am so jealous! Have a great time!

Belle619
07-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Be sure to notice the Water Tower on Michigan Ave. - it was the only structure in the city that was left standing after the great Chicago fire in 1871.

I would really recommend taking a trolley tour - it is the best way to see the most sights while in town. It is one of those tours where you can get on/off at all of the major tourist destinations throughout the city.

Have fun!

sonayo74
07-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I would also recommend Lincoln Park Zoo. It's a short drive (or bus ride) from where you're staying.

I have to second the above suggestion for Millennium Park. It is really beautiful. If you're still there Friday afternoon, you can catch a free rehearsal at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion for whatever concert will be playing that evening.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-28-2007, 12:46 AM
I was in Chicago back in the 80's for business and we went to Gino's for pizza. I still remember how great it was! And Carson's was fantastic also.
For clubbing/dancing, we went to Rush St. I don't know if that's still the place to go or not.
Chicago was a fun town!

MMouse6937
07-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the info! We leave Tues am. Looking forward to seeing some great things! Take care! :D

Mufasa
07-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Chicago is a fantastic city, especially when it comes to dining- lots of great choices in the city.

Tru at 676 N. St. Clair is one of my favorites. Sure, it's pricey and unfortunately it's still one of those stubborn restaurants that has a strict dress code for men (that means jacket required... I mean even Chicago's iconic if dated Pump Room dropped their jacket requirement a few years ago).

However, the food and particularly the desserts are great. You can actually drop in the restaurant after 9:30pm Monday-Thursday, or Friday and Saturdays after 10:30pm and experience a five-course dessert tasting menu which is amazing.

Arguably at the top of the fine dining establishments in Chicago would be Alinea at 1723 N. Halsted. They're open Wednesday through Sunday and again, it's very pricey but definitely a memorable experience. The chef- Grant Achatz is really innovative with his progressive menu, but it's not for everybody (it's in the realm of molecular gastronomy) and the dining experience is quite long, depending on just how many courses you go through but there's very little you'll find like it anywhere else in the country and a lot of surprises as far as the preparation method or taste combinations that are presented during the meal.

Much more in the affordable and reasonable price range, there's Frontera Grill & Topolobampo at 445 N. Clark. They're both run by Rick Bayless (Topolobampo is the more upscale offering) and Frontera Grill was named by the James Beard foundation as their outstanding restaurant for 2007. Great, authentic mexican food.

Topolobampo will take advanced reservations but Frontera Grill will only take advanced reservations for parties of 5 or more- they will take same day reservations for all party sizes but you need to call first thing in the morning before they open, or have your hotel concierge attempt to snag the reservation for you- otherwise, be prepared to wait (though if you can snag a seat in the bar area they also serve the full menu from both restaurants there if you don't mind putting up with the crowd).

bleukarma
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
I’ve been to Chicago once for only a few days and I fell in love! It’s such a wonderful city!!! I recommend going down Michigan Avenue and enjoying all the shops. Also, I believe the Art Institute of Chicago is free on Thursday and Friday nights and I highly recommend going! It’s probably the best museum I’ve been in! It’s also right on Michigan Ave, but if I remember correctly it’s a little bit of a walk from the “magnificent mile” shops.

Have fun!!! :mickey: