PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rehabs

PeterPanFan
07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Why do they always have to redo a ride. Cant they just leave it as a classic. I love Space Mountain. I love it as much today at 37 as I did when I was 10. My kids love it as well. Why cant our grandchildren ride something the way we did when we were kids. I can see fixing it up so its safe but lets keep some of the classics the same.

MMouse6937
07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree with you on most accounts. I think Disney walks a fine line between updating to the better, but still maintaining the classic. I liked the updates to POTC but still love the old one. Not sure how I'm going to feel about the HM getting the new rumored updates. As far as Space Mountain goes, Ihave to say I agreed with you....until we went to DL. That new version is far superior to the one at WDW. The music and lights and the whole experience is so great, we loved it! :number1:

Strmchsr
07-26-2007, 05:32 PM
This is one issue that'll never make everyone happy. I think most everyone universally agrees that WDW messed up royally on Journey Into Imagination and need to return it to its original glory. From what I've heard, though, the DL HM was actually a big improvement (as is SM) and so I'm looking forward to that. POTC wasn't horrible. It didn't blow me away with the new stuff, but I didn't think the new stuff detracted from the ride either. So, I guess I'm just taking each refurb as it comes. Some will be hits, some will be misses. We all wish for the "magic" we experienced as children, but sometimes the rides (like HM) do begin to seem a little dated.

KAJUNKING
07-26-2007, 05:49 PM
i think disney understands that the people like us that visit often is where thier bread is buttered and if they dont stay on top of these things we see time take its toll on the attractions, someone who visits every 5 or 6 years probably wouldnt notice as much, but us disney addicts notice everything especially when they drop the ball

DizneyRox
07-26-2007, 06:17 PM
In general, rehabs ruin the attraction. Refurbs are another story, but when they take an attraction and plus it, I think it takes something away.

To make it easier to understand, take as an example, a hamburger. By itself it it's natural state, it's great comfort food. Now, you get these guys throwing BBQ sauce and onion rings, or three different cheeses and a special sauce, or different kinds of buns, etc. It's all fluff and in many cases ruins the whole hamburger experience. Ground meat, ketchup, mustard and a bun. Add some american cheese if you're feeling frisky!

It's very tough to successfully build on a classic... PotC is a good example, or JIYI, or El Rio del Tiempo... The list goes on...

DizneyRox
07-26-2007, 06:19 PM
i think disney understands that the people like us that visit often is where thier bread is buttered
Actually, I think that's true for Disneyland, but I'm betting WDW relies mainly on new tourists.

PeterPan
07-26-2007, 06:51 PM
As far as Imagineering is concerned, there is really no way to win this war. If you let a ride sit there forever, it is bound to "date" to the point that nobody rides it any more. If they "update" it, there is an outcry from the Old Guard. I promise you, what they are doing to Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion is NOT a "Re-Imagineering" job. Instead, it is an "enhancement." You are going to LOVE what they are doing. In NO WAY will either attraction be tampered with - only "Plussed." Space Mountain will be smoother and more exciting - music, lights, special effects, but the journey is the SAME. Haunted Mansion will look, feel, and smell the same - only better. The enhancements are truly astounding, and perfectly in character with the OLD ride.

You will not find a more Die-Hard Disney fan than me - but I totally approve of the enhancements that are on-going.

Remember, when you're GREEN you GROW.
When you're RIPE you ROT.

battlefield2freak
07-26-2007, 07:16 PM
the HM ride rehab what they are doing to it is not going to be that noticable. the most noticeable thing will be the floating head in the crystal ball. and they arent doing anything to space moutain yet although it needs the new track and more comfortable cars and a few more FX scenes to make it look like you are really flying through space and maybe glowing stars thet line the ceiling nad walls with the other planets out around the stars to enhance it more to feel more like you are in space, and fill in the gaps so its completely dark like they did at DLR.

bottom line, rehabs and refurbs are nessacary over time on much of the rides. and much of MK hasnt recieved the extensive refurbs they need so im glad they are finally taking notice in the MK and at EPCOT.

mttafire
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
IMHO, Renovations/rehabs are a MUST. Just venture to D.L. and ride space m. You will immediately want WDW to close S.M. and redo it like D.L....Which i hear there IS a major announcement coming in a few months or so..I understand wanting to keep things original but only to a point. To be honest, I look forward to all rehabs/refurbs or redo's.:thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
07-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Actually, I think that's true for Disneyland, but I'm betting WDW relies mainly on new tourists.

I'm disappointed in you.....

Walt Disney World's business is roughly 50% repeat visits at all times. At least 50%...many times much higher....even among conventioners

They would never have built 5 or more timeshare locations...17 resorts....PI...3 waterparks (now 2..rumored to go back to 3)...5 golf courses...and over 60 full service restaurants for first timers....

They would never be able to use a significant portion of it.

lockedoutlogic
07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I pretty sure rehabs are just as much a necessity from a mechanical perspective as they are to create buzz or new experiences....

Disney is a pioneer in the amusement park bus. for creating attractions with very large ride capacities...many capable of accomodating 3000+ riders per hour....which compared to your average local park is amazing....

But with that high volume....comes a ton of physical stress. Ask anyone who has worked in a disney park how often rides are "101"....
with notable dubious locations including American Adventure, Spaceship Earth, the Great Movie Ride...and of course...our gold medal winner: Test Track

There's only so many times you can grease a wheel before you have to take the car apart and replace the wheel....

...if you know what I mean....

Strmchsr
07-26-2007, 09:06 PM
the HM ride rehab what they are doing to it is not going to be that noticable. the most noticeable thing will be the floating head in the crystal ball.

Actually, they're adding 2 new scenes (the bride in the attic, plus one new one in the "spider" room that I just found out about) plus the new Leota scene and a whole bunch of other new special effects. The difference will be quite noticeable.

battlefield2freak
07-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Actually, they're adding 2 new scenes (the bride in the attic, plus one new one in the "spider" room that I just found out about) plus the new Leota scene and a whole bunch of other new special effects. The difference will be quite noticeable.

oh thanks for telling me. last i heard on HM was that it was to recieve the same enhancements DLR's version recieved. of course i never heard of any of the enhancemetns except the ball.

Mickey91
07-26-2007, 11:42 PM
I prefer the rides as they are. I am extremely disappointed that I was unable to see Space Ship Earth again before the rehab and removal of the arm and wand. Likewise, I would have liked to seen O'Canada again as well. Seems like so much is changing all at once. I prefer it to be a little here and there or more to the point, not at all.

fielin
07-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Why the rehabs ? Simply because WDW is not a museum !

I do understand the need for some of us not to see things evolve and separate us from our childhood memories... But these memories are your own, and your children deserve to build their own.

If you don't want your children to tell you 'I don't want to go to WDW... It's boring, the attractions are old and obsolete, this is a theme park for nostalgic old people', you need to accept that they update their rides.

I personnaly welcome any rehab they decide to do... It means more new(ish) things to see everytime I come back.

And, if they could change WDW SM to become more like Paris SM, I would just be delighted !

Sweetpea29488
07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree with you on most accounts. I think Disney walks a fine line between updating to the better, but still maintaining the classic. I liked the updates to POTC but still love the old one. Not sure how I'm going to feel about the HM getting the new rumored updates. As far as Space Mountain goes, Ihave to say I agreed with you....until we went to DL. That new version is far superior to the one at WDW. The music and lights and the whole experience is so great, we loved it! :number1:

We just returned from our first trip to DL and have to agree with you 100% Their new version was wonderful. DH and I both thought it was better than WDW and I'm one of the biggest fans of WDW. We also loved it!!

Jasminegirlsmom
07-27-2007, 12:30 PM
We just returned from our first trip to DL and have to agree with you 100% Their new version was wonderful. DH and I both thought it was better than WDW and I'm one of the biggest fans of WDW. We also loved it!!
I also have to agree. DD and I are Die hard WDW fanatics and are wary of changes to our favorite rides, but we visited DL in March and LOVED the enhancements to both HM and SM.

GrumpyFan
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
It's something the Imagineers call "plussing an attraction" and it's something they've always done, Walt himself was prone to do this, even on popular attractions. Basically, they're always looking for ways they can make an attraction even better.

I believe another reason is competition. While Disney is "king" of the "Theme parks", they want to maintain that title, and the best way to do that is to keep adding to and keeping their attractions fresh and relevant to the current generation.

Some quotes about change from Walt Disney:
Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved.

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.

Darin M
07-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Tough question... When you truly love a ride, you hate to see it go for some new attraction that you may think stinks.

It would be cool if they could rebuild some of the classics and put them all in "Yesterland" , a new park that honors all the classic rides that got the boot, and are getting the boot from WDW.

jszczur5
07-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I like the refurbs/rehabs, but just like a typical NIMBY, I just wish they didn't occur during our once yearly trip. It's clever of Disney though. Even though we are a month away from this year's trip, I just told my husband that we HAVE to go back next year to see what they did to my favourite ride SSE, and to the HM.