PDA

View Full Version : Exceptions for Resort Guests

pooh0601
07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Do the resorts still "cater" to their own guests and allow you to dine at their restaurants as walk-ups? We were told back in April when we were there that we could go "early" to Chef Mickey's for either breakfast or dinner and get a table as a walk-up as a resort guest.

Does this hold true for all Disney hotels?
We were interested in doing this in August when we are at the Poly to dine at Ohana's.

lockedoutlogic
07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
there is no sanctioned policy....

some locations would do that in the past...some wouldn't....

it probably simply depends on a bunch of factors on a given day....

no harm in trying.

SurferStitch
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I know it didn't apply to us in Grand Flo concierge in 2005. We tried to change our Citricos ADR to a second dinner at Narcoossee's, and not only could it be not be done (several days in advance), but when I asked about showing up at opening to see if I could get a table on the day we wanted, we were told by Narcoossee's that nothing would be available.

Each resort may be different, so you never know.

I would make an ADR, though, if you really want to eat at a certain restaurant.

Dedivah
07-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I would try to get a reservstion. I would not trust waking up.

MinniesMom
07-26-2007, 11:20 AM
This did not apply for us when we stayed at POLY two years ago. We tried to have breakfast at Ohanas on two different days and couldn't get in! It's a very popular breakfast and they did not give any "preferential treatment" to POLY guests. I would suggest making an ADR if you can.

Dining at Disney has become so crazy with ADRs. It's a shame that (at certain times) you can't even dine at the resort your staying at anymore unless you have an ADR!

In fact, when we were there (in Oct.) we wanted to change a dinner reservation one night and asked if there was anything available anywhere on the monorail line (between POLY, GF and CT) so we wouldn't have to go to far. The ONLY thing (in the vincinity) available that evening was Artist Point at WL at 9:00 p.m. - Can you believe it?

HOLITRIN
07-26-2007, 12:20 PM
A few years ago when we went, I made our ADR's - then known as PS (Priority Seating) 90 days in advance. That was the soonest you could make them. Now they are making them 180 days in advance! :D

I agree with the previous poster about not being able to go to a restaurant in your own resort without an ADR :confused: What other hotel has anyone ever stayed in (not including any Disney property) that you couldn't walk in and have a meal without a ressie??

I think that Disney's next investment should be more restaurants, or if possible, expanding on some of the more popular ones. I don't see this issue getting any better in the future.

What next - ADR's 360 days out ;)

KylesMom
07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I think that Disney's next investment should be more restaurants, or if possible, expanding on some of the more popular ones. I don't see this issue getting any better in the future. HOLITRIN, I suggested this very thing in my recent trip report wrap-up. And I'm an obsessive planner, calling exactly 180 days for my ADRs!

I suppose if it was toward the end of April during slow season, they may suggest that to you if they knew their restaurants weren't full up.

Walkups for Chef Mickey's, Whispering Canyon, Ohana, etcetera are far & few between during moderate to busy seasons, even if you are staying at their resorts. The DDP has just made it moreso.

dteed
07-26-2007, 03:39 PM
I would count on nothing and plan for everything. ADR's are necessary now more than ever because of the DDP. We tried to wing it for our baseball tournament last time and ended up eating at places we never thought of before. My suggestion is book everything and cancell as needed. That way you know what you are doing.

pooh0601
07-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately nothing is currently available for ADR's at Ohana's, but I keep checking.

I waiting exactly 180 days out for our upcoming December 07 trip and booked everything I possibly could think of as far as where we might want to eat and for many more dates that I know we will even be there for. Because I do not know exactly what rates there will be a room available for. Once I book the room, then I can always cancel the dining. But I learned if you wait to book the room first, a lot of the dining options you might want will be gone.

It's a shame it has to be this way....

Polynesian Dweller
07-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I agree with the previous poster about not being able to go to a restaurant in your own resort without an ADR :confused: What other hotel has anyone ever stayed in (not including any Disney property) that you couldn't walk in and have a meal without a ressie??

Actually, there are lots of hotels like that. If they are catering to people outside of their hotel then they will expect ressies. We just stayed at the Banff Springs in Banff Alberta and we had to get reservations every night in order to get seated. It's not that unusual.