PDA

View Full Version : Portland Maine Ideas?

disney323
07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
DH and I are going to Portland Maine in October for our 5th wedding anniversary. (Not going too far since we are leaving our 2 yr. old with family) Are there any special restaurants that anyone can reccomend? Thank You!

emmatink
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I am a Maine native what kind of restaurants? Sea Food I presume :) There are lots! Do you like a more elegant atmosphere or are you into the "hole in the wall" type places? The Old Port is a great place to start, lots of restaurants and night life. Give me a little bit more of what you are looking for and I will give more specific suggestions.

TooGoofy
07-26-2007, 06:10 AM
One of our favorite restaurants in Portland is DiMillo's. It it a "floating restaurant", converted from a ship. It is right on the waterfront, and it has great views of Portland Harbor. Good food too!

Another great place to visit would be Portland Head LIght (which is actually in Cape Elizabeth) but is faily easy to get to...no restaurants at the park (Fort Williams), but it's a great place for a picnic!

disney323
07-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. We are looking for at least 1 romantic night for dinner. The floating restaurant sounds nice. I don't eat much seafood (I'll eat haddock/schrod) but dh loves it so a recommendation would be great. We are also looking for any activities that may be fun. Thanks again!

SBETigg
07-26-2007, 10:05 AM
If you don't mind spending lots and taking a little drive, The White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport is truly an amazing experience. I don't think I can put in a link, but if you google it will come up. Another great one in the Ogunquit area is Arrows. I know Portland must have a lot of great places, too, but we're not that familiar with Portland. We're happier to stay around the Ogunquit/Wells area.

If you're driving from Western MA, you'll pass through Kennebunkport/Ogunquit/Wells before you hit Portland or on the way back.

TooGoofy
07-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes, the White Barn Inn is amazing!

For things to do in Portland, the Old Port is nice with lots of quaint boutique shops. You're about 15 minutes from LL Bean in Freeport, which also has lots of shops.

Disdude
07-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Not into seafood? Ain't much else to eat in Maine. :)

I grew up in Maine but I haven't been back all that much. After High School, if I wanted to go out on a date, I often went to the Dunston School in Scarborough. It was an old school house converted into a restaurant. It's been probably 15 years (Wow. I didn't realize I was that old) since I was there and I have no idea what it is like today (is it still there?).

When I do go back to visit my family I usually hit:

1) Cap'n Newicks in Portland - Seafood and far from romantic
2) The Clambake in Old Orchard - Same as above

I doubt you could wrong with Dimillos. As for things to do, I agree with what others have said. Freeport is nice if you're into shopping. L.L. Bean is worth a visit if you've never been. I love the Old Port. There is so much character there. I always enjoyed walking the cobblestone streets and taking in the sites. You will be there at the right time (weather permitting) for leaf peeping. You could be like the locals (I'm sure my Mother will be on the road) checking out all the colorful trees.

I'm more familiar with the Brunswick, Lewiston, Rumford areas. Sorry I'm not much help but I do hope you have a good time.

TooGoofy
07-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Another thing you could do is go on a Casco Bay Ferry ride. They go out to the islands in Casco Bay. I think they have a sunset cruise too (at least they did a couple of years ago). It may be a little chilly out on the water in October though, so dress warmly! They have a good website, so google Casco Bay Ferry and you should get there.

And yes, Disdude, the Dunstan School Restaurant is still there...but Cap'n Newick's is not. We just went to the Clambake for my Dad's birthday a couple of weeks ago!

dolphinmickey9170
07-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Just a note, DiMillo's serves a mean landlubber's steak. Born and raised in Maine, I hate lobstah, can you believe that??? Anywho, everyone else in my fam loves it, so whenever we go, it's steak for me. Ask to be seated by the windows. The view is spectacular.

Have a great time.

disney323
07-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Awesome suggestions, thanks so much!!! I am making notes of all of it.

TooGoofy
07-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Born and raised in Maine, I hate lobstah, can you believe that???

In the 1800's in Maine, servants would have a special clause written into their contracts. It said that they could not be served lobster for a meal more than three times a week. Back then, lobster (in Maine) was considered a "commoner's" food!

dolphinmickey9170
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I heard that recently, didn't know it was a commoners food. And to think it's almost $18 a pound in Shrewbury PA. I almost died. You can get lobstah in Maine under $10 a pound, sometimes even around $6. Too funny.

Just wanted you to know that Capt Newicks closed last year. May I also suggest, via my Mom, Warren's on Route 1 in Kittery. She said their seafood is awesome. Me personally, give me that beef. Howevah, the lobstah, clams, scallops, shrimp and huge salad bah keep them coming back.

Have a great time.

Ayuh, I'm native.
Maine, the way life should be.

MickeyandTink
08-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Made my first trip to Maine 3 years ago. Loved it. Most memorable experience, though, was getting lobster rolls at McDonalds. They were really good, too.

I keep waiting for the local McDonalds to get them on their menu, but it may be a long wait. :D