PDA

View Full Version : Braces

ImagiAsh
07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey everyone! Just a quick question regarding braces. I am a 20 year old about to get braces (:blush:)--both the upper and lower. I've already been through the dreaded mold and the not-so-bad separators. Next Tuesday I will be getting my braces on. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems as far as the gag reflex during this? Just about everyone I have talked to at home said no... but after that mold... I'm really hoping for some further assurance. Thanks!:thumbsup:

SBETigg
07-24-2007, 07:51 PM
I haven't had braces, but according to my kids-- the mold is the worst part as far as the gag reflex goes, and the actual braces don't cause as much pain as the separators did. The first two weeks are a big adjustment as far as eating, but soon enough, they feel comfortable and eating is much easier. The first adjustment after the braces are on (about a month out) can be the most uncomfortable as far as feeling some pain, but even that is manageable. Best wishes for an easy time getting them on and a smooth transition.

DessertDivaFL
07-24-2007, 08:19 PM
You've already been through the worst of it. :thumbsup:

Make sure you ask lots of questions at the office. They are usually more than willing to give you advice and make sure they give you that food list (what you can and cannot eat). It is really important to brush after every meal. My daughter got her braces on a few months ago and they showed her a before and after picture of someone who didn't brush well. Let's just say that person has straight, decaying teeth now! :shake:

jodijo
07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I had braces and never gagged. I agree the mold part was the worst as far as gagging goes. Also, my orthodontist always gave me a pack of sugarless gum after words. He said that chewing it helped lessen the pain.

Christine
07-24-2007, 08:37 PM
I had braces and the molding was the only time I had a gag reflex. The bands slip on your back teeth (they just push down over them) and the brackets glue on.

Good luck!

Are you going with metal or porcelain?

mook3y
07-24-2007, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=jodijo;1366336]I had braces and never gagged. I agree the mold part was the worst as far as gagging goes. QUOTE]
By far the worst is the mold!

I just got my braces off a few months ago! YAY WOOT !

I recommend having a good meal before you go get them on. That first night you will want to eat soft foods.

For me, the first several times they tightened the braces, I had to eat very soft foods. wasnt too bad since I love grilled cheese sandwich and soup!

ImagiAsh
07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Are you going with metal or porcelain?

Well, I am getting something called Mystique on the top. It will only appear as a thin bar across my teeth. And I believe I am doing porcelain on the bottom.

Christine
07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, I am getting something called Mystique on the top. It will only appear as a thin bar across my teeth. And I believe I am doing porcelain on the bottom.

I haven't heard of Mystique. Sounds great!

I had porcelain on top and bottom (I was in my 20's when I had braces as well). The only thing to be really careful about are staining foods/liquids.

Spaghetti sauce, Sunkist soda, etc...certain things just discolored my brackets.

I think you'll do great! Best wishes to you!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-24-2007, 11:27 PM
It has been a lot of years but, I remember getting the molds and the gag reflex. :ack: Getting braces on and maintained were nothing like that. Good luck, I am sure you will be fine!!

DisneyDudet
07-25-2007, 05:28 PM
I had braces in 3rd grade. The molds are the worst part. When you get them off.. you may have more molds made, so be prepared (I'm very sensitive to gagging-thanks Popa!). If you require a retainer after, you will have to have a mold. What helps is breathing through your nose... don't stop breathing or start breathing through your mouth.. makes it worse.

As far as now, it will generally be discomfort. I never really had pain. My mouth was just sensitive when biting down for a few days after getting them tightened. Soft foods during those days and Advil helped quite a bit.

Also, when you chew, make sure you alternate sides, as the wire can move to one side and poke your cheek! That was the worst part for me.

Make sure you clean as they tell you to. Also, mouthwashes help if you can't get to a toothbrush between meals (better than nothing).

You'll get used to it all in a few weeks!

If you like corn on the cob... eat up now... you won't get too for a long while!

mook3y
07-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh, make sure you get wax from your dentist too. You are going to want that.

the corners of your mouth have to toughen up and the inside of your cheeks can get pretty sore.

But especially, if your teeth have to move back any, the wires slide and poke out the back and that can really hurt the back of your mouth. A little wax brings a LOT of relief!

SallyfromDE
07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I had to wait until I was 20 to get braces, when I could pay for them myself. Having them put on or worked on, wasn't much different then just going to the dentist. The molds never bothered me. I had to have a plate made a few years ago, for TMJ and some small ones for caps. I just remember eating alot of soup the first few days after having the bands tightened. The only thing that really bothered me, was brushing my teeth. I could not stand it. I was able to find a water pik somewhere and I loved it!! I did not have 1 cavity when the braces came off. No sticky food, like taffy or gum.

ImagiAsh
08-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone! I got them on yesterday. It really wasn't that bad. I'm, of course, sticking to a soup and smoothy diet for the next few days, but I'll make it through! Thanks again!:D

poeticeclipse
08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Oooohh braces chat! I love it!

I got braces at the end of my 8th grade year and had them for just over 2 1/2 years. Let me tell you... you've been through the worst part. Getting the actual braces on is kind of interesting actually. For me, the pain I experienced the first few weeks with the braces was nothing compared to the pain with the spacers. Gag wise... the mold is really the only time I gagged. I don't remember getting choked up during the actual braces process. You will have to get impressions done after you get the braces off. I always looked like a drooling fool doing that.

Make sure to stick to soft foods! Lots of mashed potatoes and gravy, jello, ice cream...uhh..... milk? haha. Your choices will be very limited for a little while. Don't be one of the stupid people who thinks that you can eat a caramel apple or something like that. I've seen many friends break their brackets doing that. Not fun.

Good luck with everything!!

poeticeclipse
08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks everyone! I got them on yesterday. It really wasn't that bad. I'm, of course, sticking to a soup and smoothy diet for the next few days, but I'll make it through! Thanks again!:D

After typing my previous post I read this... derrr.. i'm dumb. I'm glad it wasn't that bad. What color did you get?? I always stuck to pink or light blue. They were the most attractive colors. Be aware that if you get clear and are a coffee drinker, you'll have issues with the bands getting stains.

mook3y
08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I had to wait until I was 20 to get braces, when I could pay for them myself.

:blush: Im going to be 40 in 2 weeks and I just got mine off a couple months ago!