PDA

View Full Version : Why Should We Still Care?

BrerSchultzy
07-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Okay, so I'm in a bit of a funk:

Vinokourov of the Tour de France is the third rider to be caught doping....and the tour leader, Rasmussen, skipped a mandatory test at the start of the Tour (though he passed another one a week later). All this while last years Tour de France STILL doesn't have a declared winner, after the Floyd Landis doping incident.

Bonds is after the Home Run Record, and all the journalists who said "He Cheated" and "McGwire Shouldn't Be in the Hall of Fame" are now saying "Innocent until proven guilty." Sosa is lambasted for his home run mark, because he once got caught with a corked bat, and then forgot how to speak English when asked about Steroids.

Three UFC fighters are caught using steroids, including Royce Gracie, one of the founders of the sport.

Tim Donaghy is fixing games (allegedly) in the NBA.

Michael Vick is a low-life thug who killed dogs for fun.

So, here's my question: Has anyone else started to feel like we're only watching the athletes who didn't get caught? Sure, these incidents seem to be few and far between, but do we really trust that the athletes we are watching are innocent, or just haven't been caught cheating yet?

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
You forgot about Gary Player's allegations last week about at least ten pro golfers using steroids...;)

But yes, I agree with you. (Especially having our own local escapades recently with the (thankfully former) Bears' Tank Johnson.

BrerSchultzy
07-24-2007, 05:15 PM
You forgot about Gary Player's allegations last week about at least ten pro golfers using steroids...;)

But yes, I agree with you. (Especially having our own local escapades recently with the (thankfully former) Bears' Tank Johnson.

Hmmm...not helping. ;)

Donald A
07-24-2007, 06:11 PM
You bring up some good points, but the reason that sports keeps going is people keep paying to see these thugs play. I will be the first to admit that I am one of them.

We live in a world that isn't fair. Horrible things happen in this world. I choose not to dwell on them as I get too depressed. Following sports gives me a chance follow something that isn't life or death. After all, these well paid athletes are just playing a game. Those that make it become more than a game and start to lose homes and empty bank accounts (I've seen it happen) such as those that bet on these games are not in the majority.

That being said, I am beginning to get really sick of it. I love animals and I think the Michael Vick thing put me over the edge. I am glad the commisioner suspended him.

The NBA thing will be bad because it will place doubt in the heads of people. If I go to a Pacers game this year (I probably won't, however) and see a bad call, how can I not think the ref was paid off. If it is a real bad call I might even yell about it at the ref. This really isn't fair to the ref, but this is how people will think. Mr. Stern has a very rough road ahead of him.

As long as people keep paying. This stuff will keep happening. This is why I think Mr. Goodell is right on with player conduct crackdowns. He wants to get this stuff taken care of before the NFL fan base declines. After all, look at many of the NHL and MLB markets that have not recovered after major player strikes/ lockouts. People will only take so much especially with sky-rocketing ticket prices.

I'll get off my soap box now, but what a great thread topic to discuss.

Hammer
07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
You bring up some good points, but the reason that sports keeps going is people keep paying to see these thugs play. I will be the first to admit that I am one of them.

We live in a world that isn't fair. Horrible things happen in this world. I choose not to dwell on them as I get too depressed. Following sports gives me a chance follow something that isn't life or death. After all, these well paid athletes are just playing a game. Those that make it become more than a game and start to lose homes and empty bank accounts (I've seen it happen) such as those that bet on these games are not in the majority.

That being said, I am beginning to get really sick of it. I love animals and I think the Michael Vick thing put me over the edge. I am glad the commissioner suspended him.

The NBA thing will be bad because it will place doubt in the heads of people. If I go to a Pacers game this year (I probably won't, however) and see a bad call, how can I not think the ref was paid off. If it is a real bad call I might even yell about it at the ref. This really isn't fair to the ref, but this is how people will think. Mr. Stern has a very rough road ahead of him.

As long as people keep paying. This stuff will keep happening. This is why I think Mr. Goo dell is right on with player conduct crackdowns. He wants to get this stuff taken care of before the NFL fan base declines. After all, look at many of the NHL and MB markets that have not recovered after major player strikes/ lockouts. People will only take so much especially with sky-rocketing ticket prices.

I'll get off my soap box now, but what a great thread topic to discuss.

My turn to get on the soapbox :soapbox:!

Where to begin? Yes, we are seeing more players in all sports in more negative circumstances, but that can be attributed to the growth of two areas, technology and science. Did anyone read the article about the Joe DiMaggio diaries which were just auctioned off? Excerpts from that let you know the Jolting' Joe found interacting with fans a chore. How do you think he would have handled the multitude of media outlets there are today?

Regarding science, it just keeps finding ways to keep bodies stronger and lasting longer and there has always been a segment of the population who will exploit it for nefarious purposes.

So, you ask, why do you still watch, Ms. Locker Room moderator? Because while the money is a motivator, I still think that there is a part in many players (and coaches) who do it because they love their sport. If I need a reminder, I can see the video on Youtube of almost every member of the Phillies team (except the guys in th bullpen as they were too far away) going out to help the grounds crew when some of its members were trapped under the tarp by gale force winds because to paraphrase the NL MVP Ryan Howard "there were people in trouble who needed some help".

Now I need to go and watch my Phillies play :baseball:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
This morning's headline on ChicagoTribune's site is about exactly this..."Why Should We Care?"

BrerSchultzy
07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
If I need a reminder, I can see the video on Youtube of almost every member of the Phillies team (except the guys in th bullpen as they were too far away) going out to help the grounds crew when some of its members were trapped under the tarp by gale force winds because to paraphrase the NL MVP Ryan Howard "there were people in trouble who needed some help".

Good point....but here's my big problem (and maybe I'll get over it some day). I see Ryan Howard, and I should be so incredibly excited that my boyhood team of the Phitin' Phils has a legit superstar, who is also a great guy. And yes, the tarp thing was wonderful, and really helps you see the best in people.....

But...

Instead, I look at Ryan Howard and think "Well...he didn't break into the majors until he was 26, and suddenly hits all these home runs? Maybe something's up there."

I'm not saying he DID do anything, but I can't help thinking it any more.

This morning's headline on ChicagoTribune's site is about exactly this..."Why Should We Care?"

I'm in the wrong line of work.

P.S. Did you see that yet another Tour de France rider has been caught...they just aren't releasing the name yet. :number1:

JPL
07-25-2007, 02:12 PM
I have to say over the years I have been collecting autographs from my favoritie teams and players and the more interaction I have had with some players the less I liked some of them.
There is one huge exception in sports that most people overlook and seem to shun as a sport, Hockey. This is the sport that keeps me going. Most of the player are still genuine and really care about there fans and will take time to sign autographs and talk to fans. They play hurt, they don't make as much money as the other sports and all have a single dream and that's to hoist Lord Stanley over their heads. Yes there are some exceptions in the game but overall this is what players should be like in all sports.
As for all the other sports I still watch baseball and football. I dumped the NBA long ago when the defense disappeared. I would really liek to see these players who are role models for kids be banned for ever and get the message out that the leagues will not stand for this sort of activity. And I blame the teams as much as the league because they are dealing with these individuals more closely and if teams started to crack down and put conduct clauses in contracts we would see alot of these problems go away.

Donald A
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM
There is one huge exception in sports that most people overlook and seem to shun as a sport, Hockey. This is the sport that keeps me going. Most of the player are still genuine and really care about there fans and will take time to sign autographs and talk to fans. They play hurt, they don't make as much money as the other sports and all have a single dream and that's to hoist Lord Stanley over their heads. Yes there are some exceptions in the game but overall this is what players should be like in all sports.

I was saying the same thing over the past week. However, about an hour ago, I get home from work and my wife tells me that the Staal brothers were arrested for disorderly conduct and Jordan was cited for underage drinking. So now hockey even has its problems.

Even NASCAR is full of a bunch of cheaters, but, just like I said earlier in this thread, people keep paying for it. (Of course I have tickets for the Brickyard 400 this weekend).

BrerSchultzy
07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
First of all...I know I sound whiny...and after all, I'll still watch sports. They're the best soap operas around.

But now, I'm watching ESPN with a morbid fascination, just waiting for the next arrest or scandal.

For example, the Tour de France leader got kicked out of the Tour today. Of course. The silver lining to that story is that an American (Levi Leipheimer) is now in third place, and almost assured of a podium spot. And his teammate, Contador, is now the Tour leader. So I guess that's good news.

Until they get caught doing something.

Grr.