PDA

View Full Version : underdog!!???

grumpyguy
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
this post goes against everything i'm about.i mean i love everything walt ever built.i am a stock holder,i visit my wdw every other year,
but,UNDERDOG!!!c'mon,does anybody care about this underdog movie?bad timing,bad choice of superhero remake,just strikes me wrong.what overpaid exec sat in a boardroom somewhere and put a stamp of approval on this one?i don't think i can plan my next trip to wdw on the dividends from my stock based on the box office results for this movie.am i wrong,am i missing something here?i didn't even know disney had anything to do w/underdog.
i love ya mickey but i smell a flop....
gg out!!:confused:

Bethis26fan
07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. It lookes like a cute funny movie.

NotaGeek
07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
this post goes against everything i'm about.i mean i love everything walt ever built.i am a stock holder,i visit my wdw every other year,
but,UNDERDOG!!!c'mon,does anybody care about this underdog movie?bad timing,bad choice of superhero remake,just strikes me wrong.what overpaid exec sat in a boardroom somewhere and put a stamp of approval on this one?i don't think i can plan my next trip to wdw on the dividends from my stock based on the box office results for this movie.am i wrong,am i missing something here?i didn't even know disney had anything to do w/underdog.
i love ya mickey but i smell a flop....
gg out!!:confused:

I agree. This is a movie I will be skipping ... or watching on a plane.

Mufasa
07-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I loved the original Underdog TV series, but am not looking forward to this movie. A lot of the aspects that made Underdog so appealing seem to be missing (and I hate the idea of it being live action/CG enhanced).

I think that for a lot of these cartoon adaptations- they strive so much to try and make the characters as believable, realistic animals that it takes a lot away from the charm of the original character itself.

Sweet Polly Purebred was a TV reporter (a parody of the stereotype) and that's not something they can do with a live action film version!

And don't get me started on Riff Raff.

How are they planning to work in the unassuming Shoeshine Boy persona? What I also liked is how he didn't have natural super powers, but relied on his super energy vitamin pills which often had less than reliable results.

Also, one of Underdog's most notable traits that seems to be missing at least from the trailers is that he always spoke in rhyme- the dialog was crucial to Underdog's role as a super hero.

Underdog also had one of the best cartoon theme songs- Speed of Lighting! Roar of Thunder!

Oh well, at least the original cartoons are available on DVD.

CrazyStitch
07-24-2007, 02:42 PM
It was only a matter of time. Other cartoons from that era have been given the live action treatment already, what with Rocky and Bullwinkle and George of the Jungle.

Now, with Underdog, we just need Super Chicken and Tennessee Tuxedo! :) Oh and Mr. Peabody and his pet boy :)

BTW, you think this is bad? There's a live action Alvin and the Chipmunks coming out, too....

SBETigg
07-24-2007, 02:51 PM
It was only a matter of time. BTW, you think this is bad? There's a live action Alvin and the Chipmunks coming out, too....

Jason Lee (My Name is Earl) does the voice of Underdog as well as playing Dave in the Chipmunks movie.

I loved Underdog, the cartoon, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the "live" version but I don't think I'll like it and I do agree it looks like a flop.

disneydeb
07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
:confused: "I am looking forward to it", she said in a small voice.
Oh well, to each his own.:mickey:

ImagiAsh
07-25-2007, 09:57 AM
I agree with you. I'm all for Disney, but I just can't bring myself to go the theater and see it. Nothing about it appeals to me. :(

Crow
07-25-2007, 08:42 PM
just saw a clip:ack:
there is a need to fear

2Epcot
07-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I think that for a lot of these cartoon adaptations- they strive so much to try and make the characters as believable, realistic animals that it takes a lot away from the charm of the original character itself.

I would agree, some characters need to stay closer to the original, and not so much like they came to life. I was a big fan of the show when I was a kid, we used to watch it all the time. I don't know if these cartoons run anymore. When I saw the trailer I was thinking kids probably don't even know these characters today. The trailer also didn't seem to have any flavor or the orginal cartoon series that I could see, other then the names.

Noah's Helper
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
"Why?" was my thought too.

The trailer also didn't seem to have any flavor or the orginal cartoon series that I could see, other then the names.

Yep. :shake:

On the other hand, my son, who has never seen the cartoon, thinks the trailer is a hoot and is dying to see the movie. :shrug:

DizneyRox
07-31-2007, 07:53 AM
I'll pass on this one. My only guess is that Disney needs a tax writeoff of some sort this year.

Bethis26fan
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I finally got to see it and i liked it alot. I thought it was funny, and had some really cute parts in it.

SBETigg
08-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I finally got to see it and i liked it alot. I thought it was funny, and had some really cute parts in it.

Thanks for the report, Beth. I'll probably give it a chance on DVD.

Dracula766
08-17-2007, 05:29 PM
To quote William Shatner and Henry Rollins…

"I can't get behind that"

Anyhow, there was interesting discussion about it on Kevin Smith's podcast (smodcast) the other night. They brought up alot of good points on why the live-action Underdog will be lame.

IloveDisney71
08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
I'll pass on this one. My only guess is that Disney needs a tax writeoff of some sort this year.

:haha: My thoughts exactly!

kmo84
08-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I saw this last week when it opened.

While I didn't love it, I found it unoffensive and harmless for kids. And the dog is very cute.

I love Jason Lee on My Name Is Earl, and a few times the voice over in this movie got me to thinking about that show! I expected Underdog to start talking about karma...:rolleyes:

They shouldn't have made this movie. It was a total departure from the cartoon. Not the most original effort.
But if you have little kids and are looking to kill 90 minutes on a summer day...:unsure:

ASweetLov
08-18-2007, 11:39 PM
I will watch it on DVD. Going to the movies these days is very expensive so I have to be choosy whith the ones I go out to see. I must say though that I absolutely hate that song from Kyle Masse for the movie:sick:

LauraleeH
08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I didn't like the Kyle song, either...but I thought the movie was pretty cute!