PDA

View Full Version : Is Wolfgang Puck Cafe overrated?

epceddie
07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I enjoyed a great stay in Orlando back in June and was really looking forward to eating at Wolfgang Puck Cafe.
We had reservations for a Friday night and I couldn't believe how close the tables were to each other and how noisy the place was. The food was very good, but the atmosphere was horrible.
Michael J. Fox and his family came in and sat at a table right behind us and all I could think was 'what's a big celeb like him doing in a crazy, chaotic place like this?'
I'd be interested in hearing some opinions about the restaurant and any experiences that you've had.

epceddie

tadshome
07-24-2007, 01:51 AM
We really didn't enjoy our experience at Wolfgang Puck Cafe. We ended up waiting for 90 minutes for our meals - our server was very apologetic and tried to find out what the problem was in the kitchen. When our food finally arrived 2 of the meals were wrong but we were so hungry by then that we didn't say anything. :(

We will not be eating there again!

Natazu
07-24-2007, 02:35 AM
It's a little noisy and the tables are close together. They do, however, have the highest quality food and service and an absolutely ingenious menu. If anyone feels Puck's is overrated, I am prepared to take responsibility both now and in the future.

Spaceship Tigger
07-24-2007, 08:06 AM
We thought Puck's was great the last time we were there and are going back this trip. I didn't think the tables were closer together than any other restaurant on property - they all seem pretty crowded together to me.

g0189a
07-24-2007, 08:28 AM
We ate at Wolfgang Puck's in early July and had a wonderful time. We went mid-afternoon after watching Ratatouille at the AMC theater across the way for a late lunch. This avoided most of the crowds but there were still plenty of customers.

The views of the water are really nice in the daytime and the food is by far better than most of the other restaurants in the DW area so I highly recommend going there for at least lunch. The tables are close but not any closer than many other restaurants in DW. I felt Chefs de France was far more crowded table wise than Wolfgang Puck's as was 9 Dragons.

But if you're willing to go a bit out of the DW proper, head on down to Celebration and eat at the Celebration Town Tavern. We liked it so much we went back a second time on our trip. Great food and nice atmosphere too.

Glenn

Dedivah
07-24-2007, 11:04 AM
We thought Puck's was great the last time we were there and are going back this trip. I didn't think the tables were closer together than any other restaurant on property - they all seem pretty crowded together to me.

:ditto:

TheRustyScupper
07-24-2007, 11:09 AM
1) I do think it is overrated.
2) Especially since Wolfgang doesn't own the Dud's anymore.
3) He owns the rest of them, but sold out the ones at Disney.

angedeaile
07-24-2007, 02:24 PM

He doesn't! Well, way to kill my excitement :(

JK! I wonder why he sold it.... Disney must have waved some big bucks in his face for him to still keep his name on it.

I still plan on eating there regardless. I enjoyed the express' food and the cafe menu not only has more options, but looks delicious!

I usually assume most places at DW are going to be hectic. Infact, last trip, I think the only ressie that wasn't crazy was Cali Grill. We still had to wait a lengthy time for a table, but there weren't any loud folks or long wait times for food.

PrincessCandaceMarie
07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I love WP and always eat there..,.YUM

mickey-mouse35
07-24-2007, 07:40 PM
I love WP and can't wait to go back in October. Love the squash soup!!! If you want quiet and more space, maybe try the dining room upstairs? Haven't done that, but I bet it's quieter.

princessjojo
07-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Way overrated!!! Sure I live in a small hick town where there is only 1 chain restaurant that isn't fastfood (Ruby Tuesdays) but I have eaten as some of the better establishments in my many journeys (Mortons, Smith & Wolensky's, Ruth's Chris and even better independents) so I was looking forward to WP. Got my spinach dip - had egg shells in it; received DH's meal and DH received it also, they never brought me what I ordered. We told them about it, but they never offered to correct it. That was enough for me, and it wasn't that good that day either.

Maybe we just went on a bad day. Who knows, but with food, I'm a quick learner. We're finding another choice next time.

DessertDivaFL
07-24-2007, 08:13 PM
My opinion (I am a foodie) is that Wolfgang Puck's on the first floor is fine. If you don't like the noise, I suggest eating at lunch or make an early dinner reservation. If you don't mind the noise then eat later and you will still enjoy the great food and service.

The second floor may be what people are saying is overrated because it is one price (extremely expensive) for several courses and the courses are small tastings. Just a thought.

MinnieMommie
07-25-2007, 06:48 AM

When did he sell out? Does he still own the one at the Contemporary? :mickey:

MinnieMommie
07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
When did he sell out? Does he still own the one at the Contemporary? :mickey:

Does anyone have an answer to this? If so I would really like to know or receive guidance as to where I might be able to access ths information. Thanks! :mickey:

emmingo
07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
The one upstairs is overrated unless you are used to a "fixed menu" sort of place (one price, several courses, but smaller portions for each course). This isn't unusual in big food cities like New Orleans, and especially not to celebrity chefs, but its kind of weird to plop one right in the middle of WDW. I just tend to think that there are better restaurants than WPs to spend a lot of money eating at (and its kind of strange to have that kind of fixed menu with all the amazing restaurants with huge portion sizes and a comparable price point)...like Le Cellier or Artist Point (or even some others in DTD) :tasty:.

If you HAVE to do WP, I suggest the counter service on the other side of DTD over by the Rainforest Cafe. The food is just as good, if not better, and the service is much faster (the tables are still crowded...but thats ok)! :razz:

Polynesian Dweller
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
For us, WP's is way overrated. Very noisy and the food, though above average really isn't as top grade as you'd expect. Maybe that's because he sold out (if that's accurate). There are better restaurants in the area if you want. We'd take Portabello over WP any time, but its not on the DP.

Sinewiz
08-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Ate there for the first time on my last visit earlier this year and at least for me it was very overated. I don't believe I'll be eating there a second time.