PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood & Vine -vs- Mama Melrose

Figgyluv03
07-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Okay, I'm a very picky eater and I thought after looking at the menu for Hollywood & Vine again for the thousandth time, I think that there isn't really anything for me to eat on that menu. So how would you compare Hollywood & Vine to Mama Melrose. DBf is Itailian so I'm sure he'll love Mama's. We're going to try for the Fantasmic Dining package and I don't want to use 2 table services for HBD.

Mickey'sGirl
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
We have tried both and preferred Hollywood and Vine by far. But, it all depends on your tastes. We found the choices at H & V to be wide ... and the food to be fresh and plentiful ... and the service to be exemplary. This was not our experience at Mama Melrose. You will find others who have nothing but rave reviews for Mama Melrose.

Disney_Barbie
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I might be a poor judge, because we've never tried H&V (we just don't care for buffets) But I can tell you that DH & I both worked at an authentic Italian restaurant for many years (not a chain like Olive Garden, a real Italian restaurant) so we’re pretty picky about our Italian and we give two thumbs up to Mama Melrose, it’s our favorite TS at the Studio’s.

SBETigg
07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
I haven't tried Mama Melrose, but I would not recommend Hollywood & Vine. If you're a fan of buffets, maybe it was okay. We weren't that happy with our meal there. Not that there was anything to complain about, it was just average quality food and not very exciting dishes offered.

snifflesmcg
07-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I've been to both and I'm going to have to go with Hollywood and Vine. I was pretty excited last year to have gotten Mama Melrose but I must say, it was our least favorite meal of the trip. Don't get me wrong, it was still...ok....but the apps and entrees we got weren't blowing my mind. Yes, H&V is a boring buffet but I think it will be better for a pickey eater than MM.

KAT1811
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't care for dinner buffets at all so we always eat at Mama's when we are in the Studios. We have had great meals each time.

pixiesmimi
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
We love H & V. We have eaten there every trip so far. We chose it over MM this time for the Fantasmic. The food is great and a good variety. My DH lives for food and loves the food there. We would have liked to have tried BD this time for the package but didn't want to use 2 TS. We feel like the food is better at H & V than MM.

dolphinmickey9170
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM
In May, we tried Mama's for the first time as we have always done H&V (loved it), but my craving was for a cheesey type of alfredo sauce. There was nothing on the menu for pasta besides marinara sauce. I asked our waitress and she went and spoke with the chef. She quickly came back telling us the chef would take care of us. So we ordered the grilled chicken on fetticini noodles with a garlicy, creamy, cheesey sauce. It was TOO DIE FOR!! If at any restaurant, what is on the menu doesn't appeal to you, talk with your waitstaff. They will take good care of you.

Maleficent's Dad
07-25-2007, 11:21 AM
H&V has not been kind to us - feel that it's a low quality buffet. I know people disagree, but this has been our experience.

MM has been good (not great) to us. Food is safe, flatbreads are tasty, portions are hearty.

AllDisney
07-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Not very much of a fan of the buffet. Have tried & loved Mama Melrose. I would go back there again in a heart beat:thumbsup:

angedeaile
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Something I wondered is, do you get the same choices off the menu at Mama Melrose as if you weren't doing the special Fantasmic package?

Like, do you get a different menu to choose from (aka limited choices)?

pixiesmimi
07-27-2007, 10:00 AM
No, the menu is the same. They just give you the tickets for Fantasmic when you finish. If they don't, ask them but they should have that down on your reservation.

DDuck66
07-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I admit that we are not a big fan of either of these, but the one time we tried MM it was horrible. The pizza was over done and tasteless and we waited almost 45 minutes past our ADR time to be seated. At least with H&V we can pick and choose what we want to eat depending on how it looks.

DisneyorBust
07-27-2007, 11:06 AM
We like both restaurants!
We tried Mama Melrose's for the first time last fall..what a great meal! I especially liked the flat breads.:pizza:
We have had good meals each time we dined at H&V too. But for our next trip we are gojng to return to Mama Melrose.

dog-ears
07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
We have had good meals and service at both of these restaurants. I would think for a picky eater that H & V would give you more choice. Don't know what time of year you're going (and who knows with the way ADRs are now) but we've gone, MM's always seems crowded but
H & V is not as packed.

SunnyLee
07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I have done both places. For H&V me and a friend were all dressed up for dinner and were sort of expecting it to be nicer and better food than we saw or got. Don't get me wrong we really liked it..but we definitely enjoyed Mama's much MORE over H and V. The atmosphere is more relaxed, more family geared and the food was great (course I LOVE Italian...so it was winner before I even ate there!). I would def go MM...the price is cheaper, I feel like more options and the food is GREAT! Good luck! :mickey:

Soul_Power
07-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't tried Mama Melrose, but I would not recommend Hollywood & Vine. If you're a fan of buffets, maybe it was okay. We weren't that happy with our meal there. Not that there was anything to complain about, it was just average quality food and not very exciting dishes offered.

I totally agree. My boyfriend and I made our Fantasmic Dinner Package reservation here when we were at WDW in June and found their food to just be OK/regular. The food wasn't disgusting or anything, it was just average.

playdead88
07-28-2007, 06:17 PM
we are trying hollywood and vine for the fantasmic dinner package on our next trip so i sure hope its good :) we have tried mama's and that was our favorite meal the whole vacation - its not that we wouldn't love going back we just wanted to try something new for next years fantasmic dinner - we may have to sneak a lunch in at mama's the tomato and mozz salad was out of this world!

garymacd
07-29-2007, 12:25 PM

I agree. We just weren't entirely happy with the food at H & V, but loved MM's. After all is said and done, we are going to try to get into the Brown Derby again this year.