PDA

View Full Version : My last minute birthday trip

LibertyTreeGal
07-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Well, my husband surprised me late last week with the suggestion that on our way home from N California, we spend a day in Disneyland. I said, "Are you crazy? It's gonna be hot and crowded, but at least it will be a monday so it might not be so bad." So we made ressies at an RV park (we had our pop up trailer with us) and we started the long trip of driving the popup down I-5 (I had never driven with it before and the grapevine took a few years off of my life). The only saving grace on the trip down was that the boys had no idea where we were going and didn't ask every five minutes if we had arrived yet. *phew*

So we had them distracted enough that they didn't see the Disneyland signs, but when we turned off on Disney way and I saw the Tower of Terror I began to get nervous -- with good reason. All of a sudden I hear a hushed whisper, "Matt... look."

Then in the kind of loud unison only twins can manage, "Tower of Terror! AAAAAHHHHH... we're at Disney." Then came the thanks and pledges of undying affection. Which came to a screeching halt when they found out we weren't going until the next morning. But then they discovered there was a pool and they recovered.

So anyway, we got up bright and early and Reese Witherspoon happily sold me some tickets (I swear, she looks exactly like her), and by the time we got to the Matterhorn, the line for Nemo had already reached the 1 1/2 hour point and stayed there all day so no, we weren't even tempted. However, a pleasant symptom of this new "must see" Nemo affliction is that until noon we pretty much walked on to all the rides, something I didn't expect in the summer.

I have to say that my favorite thing all day was the newly refurbed Pirates Lair, formerly Tom Sawyer's Island. Now, I am a purist and did not expect to like this, so I was surprised, but it was so well done and imaginateive that it won me over almost immediately -- the only downside being the crowds that are now over there, but if you walk around while the Captain Jack show is going on, the crowds are not bad. They had a treasure cave where it really does pay to try and take a bar of gold. The effects were very funny and very impressive. They also had some really nifty photo ops -- like the bone cage from POTC 2, and ways for the kids to amuse themselves by pumping water out of a pirate treasure ship and trying to hoist a treasure chest from out of the water. Really neat.

The other nifty bit was the fireworks, which were down in March because of high wind conditions. Wow, far superior to Wishes, I loved it. I loved seeing Tink flying from the matterhorn, couldn't believe how cool that was, and the "cannonballs." Wow.

After the fireworks, we ran over to Autopia, which is far superior to the Tomorrowland Speedway over at WDW.

The last thing I wanted to mention was Billy Hill and the Hillbillies over at the Golden Horseshoe Cafe, they were hilarious and if you want to sit and enjoy yourself, go and give them a listen. I can't do them enough justice.

And I have a new most infuriating park moment. Our one long queue, 45 minutes for Roger Rabbit, was the most horrible Disney experience of my life. A family had a three year old girl who desperately needed a nap, a 6 year old boy who wouldn't stay with his family, and an absolute lack of compassion for everyone else in line. The boy kept going back and forth through the families to see the different stuff, and it got old really quick. BUT THAT WASN'T THE BAD THING. The girl shrieked and screamed at the top of her lungs, throwing a tantrum the likes of which I have never experienced in my life (and given the ones my baby brother could throw, that is saying something). Did the family take one of the many exits? No. Not even one parent with the screamer. They made us listen for 45 minutes, it was like torture, but my sons really wanted to ride so we put up with it, and the young married couple in front of us were just floored that any parent could act that way. I was too, I would never put up with a tantrum in a queue -- if my kids were being brats then out we would go, no ifs, ands or buts and they know it. Yeah I paid alot to be there, but so did everyone else and we have no right to ruin other people's vacations. Okay, rant over. I just couldn't believe it.

One strange thing though, that I have never experienced at WDW, was how many people were smoking while walking through the crowds.

All in all though, smokers and brats aside, it was a neat birthday present :mickey:

tinkwest
07-22-2007, 03:34 PM
A great trip report! I love that you were able to keep it a secret from the kids. It was probably just as exciting for you to experience their joy as it was for them to first realize what was going on.

I always seem to run in to a family that doesn't seem to realize that their children are annoying others. But I try to grin, bear it, and be thankful that it is not the way my kids acted.

disneydrmr
07-23-2007, 09:02 AM
What a great birthday surprise for you! Sounds like you had a good time (minus the tantrum brat)... thanks for sharing! And happy belated birthday! :party:

Lucille
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday trip. I really enjoyed reading your report.

Lizzie
07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeaa Disney with twins, I'm taking my 17 month old girls twins to DW in Sept for their second time. What a fun day. We used to camp at the Disney campground. Such great memories. Thanks for sharing about your trip.

ChipnDaleGal
07-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Your summer Monday at Disneyland sounded just awesome!! I am so glad you were able to surprise your boys. Next Monday I hope to be sitting at several Billy Shows myself!! Thanks for reporting.