PDA

View Full Version : Tsa ?

yasmina
07-22-2007, 08:09 AM
We leave in just 3 days! :mickey::mickey:

I looked all over the TSA website and couldn't find anything on this:

Last night I was putting together my girls' travel journals. They turned out great! But I did decide to let the kids put the stickers on the pages themselves. I just pooped out :) I bought HSM folders, printed all the sheets on bright-colored card stock for easy writing, punched holes in the paper, and binded it together with wired ribbon. I also bought big pens (like the souvenir ones you can buy in the park) also HSM themed.

Can you tell that my girls are crazy about High School Musical??

My question is this. Do you think the TSA will allow the pens as carry-on items? I included puzzles and trivia games for them to do on the plane. I had planned to attach the pens with the binding, but when dh saw them, he expressed the concern about tsa, so I left them separate.

I can, of course, give them regular pens/pencils for the plane trip, but I really wanted to attach the pens so they don't get lost (a major problem in our house!)

TIA!

vamaggie
07-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Do't know about the pens you are talking about but if they are gel like they may not be allowed. You could always include the pens in the 1 qt ziploc bag each is allowed if they fit. Good Luck!

yasmina
07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Do't know about the pens you are talking about but if they are gel like they may not be allowed. You could always include the pens in the 1 qt ziploc bag each is allowed if they fit. Good Luck!

No, they're not gel pens, just really large sized ball point pens - like an inch in diameter and 8 inches long. I'll try, but I doubt they'll fit in a quart-sized bag.

I know you can buy these pens in the parks along with autograph books (we did on our trip 2 years ago). Has anyone ever brought them home with them in a carry-on?

DizneyRox
07-22-2007, 09:44 AM
The pens will be fine. The ink inside is insignificant (probably the same amount as a normal pen or smaller). I would just put them in my carry-on so they get x-rayed. If you're still scared, pack another set in your checked bags and you're golden.

CleveSJM
07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh yeah, the pens will be fine. They are not close to being a weapon and the liquid is not an issue. As DisneyRox said, make sure they go through the xray and you'll have no problems.

Hundreds of people fly home with those pens everyday from Orlando.

kakn7294
07-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I had a regular pen in my carry-on in December and I didn't have any problems with it. The big pens actually have similar amounts of ink - only the barrel of the pen is bigger, so I don't see why you should have a problem. Perhaps just to be safe, you will want to consider taking extra pens in your checked luggage, but you should be fine.

DizneyRox
07-23-2007, 07:39 AM
I had a regular pen in my carry-on in December and I didn't have any problems with it. The big pens actually have similar amounts of ink - only the barrel of the pen is bigger, so I don't see why you should have a problem. Perhaps just to be safe, you will want to consider taking extra pens in your checked luggage, but you should be fine.
Deja Vu