PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Is No Joke

DizneyFreak2002
07-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Hello again everyone.... I don't know if anyone noticed, but I was offline for a week... Last week, we had a freakish storm in NJ... My house was hit by lightning... I was in my room listening to the radio... I heard a loud explosion, then saw a flash of white light.... I knew it was not normal thunder and lightning... My radio turned off then back on, my TV shut off, and lights flickered... My mother started yelling up to see if I was OK.. When I opened my bedroom door, I spelled something burning... My mother and father ran upstairs and smelled it too.. My father called the fire department right away... They told us to get out of the house, that they would be right there.. They were there within 2 minutes.... Thankfully, there was no fire, and no one was hurt.... Just a bunch of nerves shot at that point.... However, my mother board in my computer became damaged... A tech from Dell had to come out and replacemy mother board... So, now, I am back online and ready to tackle Intercot and all things Disney...

Strmchsr
07-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Glad you're okay! Lightning kills more people per year than tornadoes and hurricanes combined, so you're right it's no joke. That's why I tell folks not to stay outside during those afternoon thunderstorms at WDW!

ElenitaB
07-21-2007, 01:07 PM
That's scary, neighbor! First a tornado in your area last year and now the lightning strike! Who knew Bayonne was so dangerous? ;)

Seriously, glad you're all okay and that there was no major damage to your house and that you're all okay.

DizneyFreak2002
07-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the well wishes.... I am glad everything worked out ok... Other than a huge hole in our ceiling, caused by the firemen looking for a potential fire... But, hey, a gaping hole is better than a burned down house....

BronxTigger
07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow. That is crazy! I'm glad you're okay.

I always unplug everything now when there is lightning in the area. There's too much chance that something can blow out. Actually, I think one of these storms crashed my desk top computer. The power portion of it is toast. Hopefully the rest of it is okay, and it's not my main computer anymore.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-21-2007, 08:58 PM
We got that nasty storm out here too. :(

Lightning hit our Cablevision transformer. We were out of cable/phone and Internet for 36 hours. It made a really loud pop noise so we knew that was not good. Scary stuff.

I am so glad no one was hurt and you are okay.

RenDuran
07-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Glad everything is okay for you and your family!

When we first moved into our house back in June 1995, we had lightning blow the electric lines off the side of our house! I still hate storms....so I can only imagine how you all felt!

PirateLover
07-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Glad you are ok! I wonder if that is the same storm that hit in south jersey... Lightening struck a refinery and also an old house dating back to the civil war in the same town on the same night (Deptford, NJ)

gueli
07-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Lightning damage has had us cable guys running like mad...I work on the main system here on long Island & have had about 30 hours of OT since the storm (+ my regular 40 standard)... feeling burnt out.

Glad you are safe & remember to turn off all computers & high end electronics during a storm (even unplug some of them....)
It might save you (& your compouter/TV) a lot of down time...
:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Lightning damage has had us cable guys running like mad...I work on the main system here on long Island & have had about 30 hours of OT since the storm (+ my regular 40 standard)... feeling burnt out.

Glad you are safe & remember to turn off all computers & high end electronics during a storm (even unplug some of them....)
It might save you (& your compouter/TV) a lot of down time...
:mickey:

Ours was literally hit by the first bolt of lightning. I usually unplug and turn off all electronics at the first sign of a storm. Didn't have time this time. :(

The tech that showed up here was awesome, the people we talked to on the phone (the 5-6 times we called and they called back) were another story! :mad:

On behalf of all the other people on LI that had a problem, THANK YOU!! :D

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Glad you are ok! I wonder if that is the same storm that hit in south jersey... Lightening struck a refinery and also an old house dating back to the civil war in the same town on the same night (Deptford, NJ)

That is the same exact storm....

chrisb26
07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Glad to here your alright we had a simular thing happen to us last year. We where having a bad storm and I was on the computer I know dumb me I wasn't thinking :blush: anyways lightning hit our satelight dish. The lights flickered. The TV went off and the computer turned off. The computer wouldn't turn back on and I couldn't get it to do anything. Turned out that I Fryed my motherboard and power supply. What was even worse was that because I was using my computer I felt the jolt from the mouse it was crazy. If all that wasn't bad enough our TV was out for a week. Our phones didn't work either for a couple days. Somehow my XBOX got fryed also it wasn't even on I don't think but I can't turn it on anymore and still haven't gotten it fixed :(

conorsmom2000
07-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm so glad that you and your family (and your home!) are okay! What a frightening experience!

I'm only a little bit away from you and we had that same storm - I'll be honest, at 37 I don't get too scared of storms, but that one had me shaking! Mike had already left for work and Conor woke me up to tell me it was thundering. I didn't hear anything so I told him to get in bed with me - the next flash of lightening and crack of thunder had us both out of bed! I ran downstairs to shut all the windows and the storm was right over the house - at one point Conor and I were both standing in the hallway with tears in our eyes, literally having no idea what to do! :blush: I can't remember the last time a storm had me so scared - you could see the lightening coming straight down!

After it was over, I took Con to his math games class and one of his little friends wasn't there - we found out a wire had gotten hit in front of their house and set their garden on fire, though it was put out before it reached the house.

That was a terrible storm!

disneydrmr
07-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow! Glad you are ok and that your house is ok. I agree.. a hole in the house is better than no house. Sounds like your area got hit pretty hard. LIghtening has always scared me. I always unplug my computer when it's lightening, and won't talk on the phone either. Scary stuff.... glad you are back up and running!

ImagiAsh
07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Glad to hear you and your family are alright! I live on Long Island, but was actually in Disney during this storm. I didn't even realize such weather was in the area until our flight back home was delayed. This is turning out to be a very unusual summer-- tornados on Long Island last week and low 70s today.