PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 - Jeff T's Family Trip to Disney

Jeff T
07-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Day 2 - Jeff T's Family Trip to Disney

It’s Sunday and the first full day at Disney World. Today we are going to the Disney MGM Studios. As usual everyone was awake by 7:00 AM and ready for a quick breakfast from the Beach Club Market Place. The Market Place was busy, but my wife navigated the crowd grabbed fruit, muffins and drinks for everyone. We decided to eat in the solarium between the Villas and the Beach Club. This is a great place for a quiet breakfast. We then made the short walk to the boat dock at the Yacht Club Resort. Friendship IV arrived in only a few minutes and we were off to the Studios.

We arrived at the Studios before they opened – this is a first for my family! It gave us the opportunity to watch the park opening ceremony and get to the Rock n Roller Coaster attraction to start our day. My 7 year-old son has never been on this attraction so he was very excited. The line was short and we were quickly inside the building. Just as we were ready to get in the limousine coaster car everyone was asked to leave the attraction due to a mechanical failure. Boy was I mad and my son disappointed. To make matters worse, they did not issue any Fast Passes to anyone as you exited the attraction. The attraction did not open until much later in the day, and the line was way too long to even think of riding it. By the way, we never did get on this ride the whole week. It was also down for some reason. Well, after the RNRC event we decided to ride Tower of Terror. The line was short and the ride did not disappoint. We went up and down several times. They even added a few minor improvements to the attraction (i.e. video illusions of ghost guest in the elevator shaft as to drop and pause.

Enough big kids rides, we had to do something our 3 year-old would enjoy. We then watched the Little Mermaid show – good as always, and the Playhouse Disney show. My 3 year-old really enjoyed this show. He danced, clapped and sang the songs. My 7 year-old on the other hand, sat on the bench in the rear of the theater and wanted no part of this attraction. Playhouse Disney is a good show, but the stage elevation and audience elevation are not ideal. As a result, you have a difficult time seeing the puppets, taking pictures or filming the attraction. They need to make this a more permanent attraction with seats or benches and modify the stage setup. Next we rode Star Tours and Muppets 3D. My 7 year-old loves Star Tours, but I think it needs a major overhaul. The attraction itself needs an update. Much better simulator technology is available today that would make this a great attraction. Regarding the Jedi Training sessions which are performed each day outside this attraction, my kids were never selected. We tried several times, but each time they were two of only a few that did not get selected. Again the 7 year-old was really disappointed. Well good food cures all – we went to Mama Mel Rose’s for lunch. The food and server were very good. The price was ok too. My kids actually ate everything on their plates. Also, the new kids meal selection is an improvement over previous years menus. You can actually order a healthy full meal for your kids. In the afternoon we watch the Lights Motor Action stunt show. This is a good show, which we all enjoyed. The only complaint is that we were cooked like eggs in those bleachers. We were exhausted after sitting in the heat for so long. Next we rode the Great Movie ride, did a little shopping and it was time for dinner. We went to the 50’s Prime Time Café a littler earlier than or reservation just to cool off and have a drink – yes, a beer! The kids played with their newly purchased souvenirs. An hour later we were called for our table. By this time our youngest son fell asleep. With this in mind the cast member who waited on us did not go through his normal routine (i.e. get elbows off table, eat your food, etc.). The food was simple and good. We even tried desert – smor’s and ice cream. Both were very good. My son enjoyed making his own ice cream Sunday. Shortly after leaving the Prime Time Café, it started to rain. We decided to skip Fantasmic this evening at take the boat back to the Beach Club Resort. We were just too hot and tired to do much more at the Studios. After getting to the Beach Club my kids noticed a moving was being show on the beach next to the Storm Along Bay pool. We stayed and watch Cars for about 30 minutes then headed up to our rooms for the night.

Overall, it was another good and productive day. I only wish my son could have experienced the Rock and Roller Coaster. Tomorrow the Magic Kingdom.

Lizzie
07-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a good day sorry about Rockin Roller Coaster good excuse for another trip.

SBETigg
07-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh, what a shame about Rock n Roller Coaster! So sad your son missed when he was so excited to ride. But it does sound like a good day, otherwise. Thanks for reporting.

Dizneyfan
07-21-2007, 01:44 AM
So sorry that your son didn't get to ride RnRc. :( Other than that minor set-back it seems you had a wonderful day. Thanks for the report.:thumbsup:

January-2007
07-21-2007, 09:00 AM
How cool you got to experience a bit of the new beachside movie they've just started doing! That started right after we left, we would have loved to have seen it! Thanks for the trip report, I can't wait to read all about your Magic Kingdom day!

pdrlkr
07-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Bethis26fan
07-22-2007, 05:44 PM
thanks for sharing.

dolphinmickey9170
07-22-2007, 10:50 PM
That's a bummer about the RnRC!! Overall, it sounds like a good day.

dtootsie42
07-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Sorry about RnRc....next time. Sounds like it was another good for all of you.

faline
07-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Seems Rock n Roller Coaster has been down quite a bit as of late. Sorry you missed it!

The rest of your day sounds like it was fun!

Bethanymouse
07-23-2007, 11:47 AM
It sounds like it was a fun day in the studios! Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

Pocahontas
07-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm so sorry about RnRc, it is by far my favorite ride at MGM and I would also be bummed to miss it. I'm glad the rest of your day was good. Thanks for your report.

MauiMouse
07-24-2007, 06:44 PM
What a bummer about RnRC being down, it's one of my favorites. :mickey:

KylesMom
07-25-2007, 05:01 PM
What a bummer about RnRC - it really has been having problems lately! Between that & the Jedi encounter, I'm sure DS7 wasn't really happy - glad to hear you had a good meal @ Mama Melrose & that you enjoyed the stunt show as well as the rest of your day. Thanks for sharing!