PDA

View Full Version : AAA or MJ

rachburch
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the thread...
I've never used a travel agent (except AAA- and I just do that for the discount), but I've been convinced through Intercotees that MJ is great. Here's my dilemma... to get the DDP, I need a MYW package, but to get the AAA package discount I need to book through AAA. (about 15% off WL rooms part of package in Jan 2008 or about $290). Now, if I book through MJ, I wouldn't get any discount unless Disney came out with package discounts. Although that's probable, it is possible I wouldn't be able to get it at the resort/time I want. i know that I can call AAA and have them get the disney discount for me, but it sounds like MJ is much more on top of things than me or AAA. So, do I risk getting no discount and book through MJ or book through AAA and get a discount, but possibly lose the chance to get a better discount? BTW, staying anywhere but WL is out of the question per my DS 7 ,I have yet to be impressed with AAA disney knowledge, and I already have a AAA membership. What should I do?

faline
07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
That's a tough call. I'm also a AAA member but I usually don't book packages so I do book through Magical Journeys.

ibrowse17
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
We have AAA and AP's. I would go with MJ. They can apply a AAA discount, plus can get you the best price on what you want. They will also apply any other discount to your package before you may even find out about it. Give them a try:thumbsup:

rachburch
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
i have been in contact with MJ and they can't book AAA packages, only AAA room only reservations (ei no DDP). Help, I don't know what to do...

ibrowse17
07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I would still try MJ. Check again, and let them know what you want. They may be able to find some other type of discount that you can take advantage of. If not, take the discount you can get from AAA.

vamaggie
07-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I would go with MJ. We booked our trip in 01 w/ AAA and I was NOT impressed with them. The agent actually gave us wrong info about park tickets (told us they were good forever but were actually length of stay ones) and other than get the room discount did not do anything for us. We are using MJ for our Nov trip and Debbie has been very helpful in planning and logistics. I truly believe that MJ will work harder/better for me than AAA. I was at our local AAA office the other day to get a triptik and got a Disney brochure just to see it. It had misleading info in it (said that on the DDP you had to cancel ressies w/ 48 hours notice--did not mention the CRT, made it sound like all ressies) which makes me trust them less about knowledge of Disney. AAA is great for many things but I feel better going with MJ since they are much more knowledgeable about all things Disney IMHO.

rachburch
07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I emailed Terrisue and asked her to book our rooms. Even with no discount, not dealing with AAA or Disney is worth it. And yes, AAA is great for somethings, unlocking my car when I've locked my keys in it (I do that alot), triptix, guidebooks, and other discounts, but not my precious Disney trip! And the CM's when I call Disney are wonderful, but I don't feel like waiting on hold forever. Intercotees have convinced me of MJ!

KylesMom
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Terrisue is awesome - I think you'll really enjoy working with her! And you know that she'll be able to get you the discounts if they're available! :mickey:

mttafire
07-18-2007, 07:31 PM
IMHO, MJ's is the way to go. Plus they are a sponsor of this site.:thumbsup:

tinksmom02
07-18-2007, 11:24 PM
I think you made the right choice--Terrisue is handling our Sept trip and she is so quick to answer my (many) inane questions.

I booked our Jan trip through AAA (had not found Intercot yet), and I swear I paid at least 2x what I'm paying for Sept! I know, we're getting the DDP for free, but my agent was not that interested in helping me, I think discounts had come out that were cheaper than what I booked, and she didn't/couldn't adjust then, AND I got royally beat on the car rental.

I'd always said that I used AAA b/c of the convenience of having everything done in one place (car, plane tix, Disney), but now that I realize how easy it is to pull it together, and how much cheaper (and to let MJ do the Disney legwork, LOL), I can't see ever using AAA again, at least for Disney trips!

RPHX2NC
07-19-2007, 01:25 AM
I have done both and without question MJ.

My customer service with AAA was horrible. They neglected to make be PS and acted like they had no idea who I was after they had my money. My "agent" was fired. MJ has been great. AAA can keep their discount, they lost my business.

Here we go again...
07-19-2007, 05:37 AM
I am glad to hear that you went with MJ, they will do a wonderful job for you.

The best part is not having to worry about discounts now. If something comes up they will work to get it and email you with your savings!

rookie
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
To get the Dining Plan don't you have to book a non-discounted room? If so, does using MJ add any real value here over AAA. I'm still a year and a half off of worrying about this so I haven't kept up on the specific rules.

BigRedDad
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
You really need to weigh the options of the entire trip. I am in very early planning stages. I will most likely go with MJ when we do start the plans. Things to look at is how long you will be there. For us, we are going to stay 8 days/7 nights. I used the Sept AP discounts as an example. For the Poly, we would be able to get a room for $249 per night. The savings is $630 for the trip after tax is factored in. MJ knew of this discount before anyone else here on Intercot.

Basically, I would have gotten a "free" PAP & DDE card from our original plan. When making your plans with them, let them know you are willing to buy an AP if the rate difference hits a certain price point.

Another piece of advice I have learned in the home, work, and life in general is to let the experts do what the experts do.

faline
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
To get the Dining Plan don't you have to book a non-discounted room? If so, does using MJ add any real value here over AAA. I'm still a year and a half off of worrying about this so I haven't kept up on the specific rules.

My understanding is that AAA packages, booked through AAA, include a discount on the room even with the dining.

Despite this, I have probably saved more money working with Magical Journeys as they have kept an eye out for other discounts whereas AAA ordinarily doesn't apply any additional discounts after you do your initial booking with them!

HOLITRIN
07-19-2007, 10:52 AM
The last time we went to WDW was back in 2004 so MYW was not part of the offerings. I am in the early stages of planning our trip in 2008 and the information I've gotten from MJ is that even with an AP, if you do the MYW w/DDP, there is no room discount. :mad: If booking with AAA does give you a room discount and a DDP discount.

So, what other discounts could MJ provide with the MYW to "beat out" the AAA discounts?? I usually just book through Disney and have taken advantage of AP room-only in the past. As everyone else on these boards, I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck!! :D

faline
07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
What you get with Magical Journeys is the following:

1. Personalized service that if friendly, prompt and efficient.
2. Any discounts for which you are eligible.
3. Any FUTURE discounts for which you are eligible!
4. The ability to sit back and have someone else take care of your reservations.

The third one is the one that really tips the scales. When you book directly with Disney and/or AAA, they quote you a price, you agree, and you never hear from them again until you get your travel documents. With Magical Journeys, they constantly evaluate your existing reservation to determine if any new specials will apply to you and will save you money. If they find something, they let you know and make the ajdustment for you.

For example, I booked a room only reservation a couple of years ago. My Magical Journeys agent contacted me to recommend that I switch to a free dining package which I did. This was even before most folks even knew free dining was going to be an option.

BigRedDad
07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Personally, MYW and DDP is a waste of money. The only way to make it worthwhile is to get a 10-Day, non-expiring pass. Once you figure that cost in, you are almost at an AP.

I recommend pricing out the packages with a spreadsheet. You can figure the cost of the pieces separately to determine where the best bang for the buck is. The biggest savings you are going to find is in the resorts. The 12.5% tax is significant. It will add up quickly. September example for Poly was $329 vs $249 a night. With tax, this is a $90 per day difference in price.

If you want a quick spreadsheet, I can send you one that I am using. I just plug in the room cost, number of nights, ticket and flight cost estimate, number of people going and it pumps out the numbers.

rachburch
07-19-2007, 04:44 PM
i just wrote a long post and the whole thing just got deleted:angry:
so now its going to be short and not as sweet as it was...
*Terrisue has already saved me time and energy (long story)
*BigRedDad- how do I give you my info so you can send me that spreadsheet?

Kairi_7378
07-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Booked my first "adult trip through AAA. Couldn't have been happier with their service. Second (upcomming) trip was a different story. They tried to get me to go on vacation on Yom Kippur, even after I explained a few times that DH will not eat or travel on that day. My two experiences show that they are kinda hit or miss.

rookie
07-20-2007, 08:17 AM
So, what other discounts could MJ provide with the MYW to "beat out" the AAA discounts?? I usually just book through Disney and have taken advantage of AP room-only in the past. As everyone else on these boards, I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck!! :D

I'll try. I think if you are dead set on the MYW with DDP package then you won't beat AAA by going through MJ. However if you are flexible MJ might (maybe even likely will) find you alternatives to that package deal that will save you money or enhance your vacation (e.g., better room).