PDA

View Full Version : Shipboard Charging?

GreenBeetle
07-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Do most of you allow your children full charging privileges on board? Or is this dangerous territory? :jaw:

DS 17 and DD 10 will no doubt be spending time on their own, so I'm pondering this dilemma.

jodijo
07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
On our last cruise we let our 11 year old (Not out 8 year old) have charging privileges. However, we set down rules and guidelines ahead of time. He only charged a few items such as candy bars and cheap souvenirs. It worked out very well!

ElenitaB
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
While my 11 yr old (his birthday was during the cruise) was allowed to sign himself in and out of the Lab, he was not given charging privileges. I did, however, load up a card for him at the arcade and he was able to get snacks at any of the locations on Deck 9, so he was a happy camper.

I'm planning on doing exactly the same this coming December.

RobWreck
07-20-2007, 07:26 AM
I'd imagine that you could give full charging privileges to the 17 year-old, provided you clearly explain the ground rules. Heck, in less than a year, they could open their own credit card account, so trusting them on yours in a relatively controlled environment should be ok.
Rob

TammiMcMan
07-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Our kids had charging privelages and they primarly used them for smoothies and some theatre snacks. There's no cash on board, so if you're kids are going to be allowed to go off on their own, then I think it's really a necessity.

If you're concerned, you can always stop by the guest services desk on board and have them print out your statement on a daily basis. That way, you can keep charges in check and not have a big surprise at the end of the trip.

Always Goofy
07-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Another thing that I think is possible...(somebody verify me...) is that you should get a receipt for every transaction. With that being the case, make the kids stick them in their pockets. Every evening have them give you the receipts to show them what they really did spend as well. It will show you and them if they went crazy. I have done that with my son when I gave him money. I wanted him to see just how fast it goes.

DOPEY321
07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
I didn't let my kids charge anything when I went last time . they were 7,9,&4. If I decide to cruise with them again, the kids will be newly 12,7 ,& 10 so I can see the need for the smoothies and video games. Can yoiu put a spending limit on their cards without limiting your own?

DOPEY321
07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Another question on this subject... If your children do have charging privelages onboard,and they go overboard in the shops, can you return on the ship and have it taken off your bill?