PDA

View Full Version : February 2008 Trip Opinions

Vinny
07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Me and my father are in the beginning stages of planning our yearly WDW trip for February 2008. Although we have not selected the exact dates yet, although it will most likely be for 7 days in the first half of the month.

Seeing as we go to WDW around 2-3 times in any given 12 month period, I have been looking into purchasing an annual pass ticket to the parks. This would make us eligible for the Disney Dining Experience at the parks and resorts. If I am understanding the reading from Info Central correctly, we would be able to save 20% on the bill at participating restaurants as opposed to paying a daily fee for the Disney Dining Plan. We are not picky eaters although we don't want to be tied down, having to leave the parks early for nightly ADR's for the DDP.

My question is: Would it be worth it for me to get the annual pass so we would be able to participate in the DDE, just stick to what we usually do and have most meals at counter service restaurants or is there something else we could do?

If I am correct, with the DDE we would be able to book ADR's for just the days that we wanted to, not having daily ones as with the DDP, right?

I would appreciate any thoughts/opinion that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance for posting.

:rocks:

faline
07-18-2007, 05:45 AM
You could run the numbers to see if you'd save money or not. If you have enough days in the parks over the course of the year for an annual pass to be less expensive than other passes, buy the annual pass. If your dining habits would more than make up the cost of the Dining Experience card, purchase that. Remember that not every place accepts the Dining Experience card so take that into account when you do your calculations. Finally, you may also be able to save if any annual passholder room discounts are available - this consideration should be a bonus - not the reason you buy annual passes!

Vinny
07-18-2007, 08:41 AM
You could run the numbers to see if you'd save money or not. If you have enough days in the parks over the course of the year for an annual pass to be less expensive than other passes, buy the annual pass. If your dining habits would more than make up the cost of the Dining Experience card, purchase that. Remember that not every place accepts the Dining Experience card so take that into account when you do your calculations. Finally, you may also be able to save if any annual passholder room discounts are available - this consideration should be a bonus - not the reason you buy annual passes!

Thanks for the info. We are usually in WDW for about 14-21 days in any given calender year, spending about 6-7 days per trip. I have always purchased a 7 day park hopper ticket totaling $264.12 with taxes. If I were to purchase 3 of these per year it comes to almost $800 for park tickets. Seeing that an annual pass costs just over half of that amount it looks like it would be a good investment for us. Also, I know the DDE does not cover as many restaurants as the DDP does but it does have all of our favorites. I am going to run the numbers for a bit to see what happens.

Beast_fanatic
07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
It sounds to me like it would be a good deal for you with your multiple visits per year, particularly if you get the 3 trips within a year. And, you are right about the DDE and being able to use it whenever you want. Most people that I've heard of that have had it have found it to be very worthwhile.

BigRedDad
07-19-2007, 07:38 AM
I have been looking at the AP and PAP with the DDE card. Since rates don't come out until close to the time for a visit, it is hard to get an idea of the cost.

I used Sept as an example to run numbers with. For September, the Polynesian example dropped to $249 from $329 per night. With taxes, this is a $90 per day price difference on the room. For our trip, that is a $630 price reduction on the room. The AP pays for itself and the DDE, leaving the DDE uses as a bonus. Most likely, I would purchase one for my wife so she can reserve the room for her sister.

January-2007
07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
If I were in your shoes I would purchase both an AP and a DDE card. Since you stay at value resorts a lot you can save even more since the DDE card provides 20% off at CS restaurants where there are no TS options available, like the value resort food courts. We would have saved money had be purchased the DDE card when we got our AP this year but live and learn, right? There's always next time... As for the AP, definately, I think it's cheaper in the long run plus you get discounts on other stuff as well like at the WOD and other shops and tickets as well. Happy planning!

Vinny
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks again everyone, the information has been very helpful. I just have one more question about the DDE. If I purchase the AP park ticket and take out the DDE plan will everyone in my party be covered by and be able to use it or just myself?

BigRedDad
07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
you are the only one that can use the DDE card unless you add your spouse for an additional $20. However, your card will cover the discount for everyone on a single check up to 10 people.