PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have stayed in the Alligator Bayou section of P.O.-Riverside...

LuckyMum22
07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
please tell me which building you stayed in and if you liked it or not. We will be there for a week around Labor Day and I'm wondering which building to try for.
I have two kids, one girl and one boy, so they don't want to sleep in the same bed. I thought the trundle bed might help our issue. My youngest is eight years old but tall, so I am hoping he'll be comfortable sleeping on it.
My third concern is the bus transportation. I have read that the main stop, near the food court, is best and that some of the outlying stops aren't picked up as often or the buses are full and you might have to stand.
Please let me know how your experience was at this resort. Any info is appreciated!
Thanks!

sgdisney
07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
On our first Disney trip we stayed there (back when it was Dixie Landings) in the AB section in building 14. It was a great location, very close to the food court and main bus stop. The main bus stop is the first stop at POR, but the bus stops at POFQ first, then makes the loop around Riverside, picking up at 3 more stops.

c&d
07-17-2007, 11:35 AM
We've stayed in buildings 18 and 17. Both were good locations. 17 was good when we had our car it was closer to the parking lot.

We liked the feel of AB, walking over the little bridges back to the room. We always saw bunnies on our way to and from the food court.

What we would do is grab a bite to eat at the food court and then head to the bus stop. By the time the bus gets to the 2nd or 3rd stop it can be very crowded, so definitely try to get on at the first stop.

We haven't stayed there in a couple of years, I'm on a mission to stay in every Disney resort. But it's one of my favorite resorts so we'll definitely stay there again.

Kairi_7378
07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
We stayed in building 27 and thought that the location was perfect. The Unofficial Guide says that the best building is 18. 14 is closest to the main bus stop and food court.

RockChalkKimball
07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
We stayed in building 27. It was a nice walk to the food court and main building. I love AB because it is more cozy and shady. It is also a quick walk to the bus top. And yes, I would go to the bus stop at the main building, as it is the first pick up. However, when we went to other stops, we rarely found the buses too full. You should be fine with the trundle bed. My kids were 9 and 14 when we stayed there and they took turns sleeping on the trundle. They both thought is was fine. If your 8 year old is under 5 ft tall, he will be fine.

tinksmom02
07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
We stayed in building 25, and I wouldn't recommend it. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely, but we were far from the parking lot (we rented), and even further from the main building. We were close to the quiet pool and laundry, but it was too cold for us to swim.

I would stay at POR again, but not 25.

Mickey's 4Walls
07-17-2007, 09:43 PM
We have stay @ POR 4 times and going back Sept 21-29-staying in AB>>>We love it there--Building 14 in great and we like 18 also very close to bus stop, food court, and parking lot. 15 is also OK. The trundle bed will work great also.. One year our room didn't have the t-bed and they brought us a fold up twin bed... it was ok also. Have a great trip and tell the mouse we'll be there soon!!!!

mickeysworld
07-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Loved staying in building 14, close to the main stop and food court!

stitch and co
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
We like Bldg 26 or Bldg 27. Not too far a walk to the main bldg or main bus stop, but tucked away in the resort--no parking lot views.

Beach Club Babe
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
We stayed in Building 37. I would not recommend that! Although the rooom was nice, close to the parking lot and close to the North Bus stop, it was waaaayyyy too far from the main building! it was an absolute nightmare getting to the food court to refill our mugs. Half the time we wound up getting lost. I think everytime we found a different way back to the room! Although it was close to a bus stop it was the 3rd POR stop. That was only because POFQ wa closed for renovations at the time. I could imagine it would be much worse, had that resort been open. The bus service was not good to say the least. Although it was a very pretty resort, we will probably never stay there again, mainly because of that experience!

ffrda
07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I had precisely the same experience as Beach Club Babe......we stayed in AB 37 as well, and found it way too far from the main building and the food court.....and when we walked it, it also seemed like we never went the same way twice. The buses that stop at the bus stop near that building always were full........I would suggest requesting a building closer to the main building, or try to switch to the POFQ which is much more compact and just as nice.
Either way......enjoy your trip!!!

rjbarker
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Another vote for Building 14. It was awesome! It took less than a minute to get to the food court, the pool and the bus stop. We had a river view and we've never had such a great time! A lot of people warned me about noise due to foot traffic but we didn't hear any noise at all outside our room for 10 days. I wish I could be there right now...

Bubbie Girl
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
We have stayed here several times and love this resort. We are a family of 5 and really liked the t bed. Even when DS was older he did ok with the bed. The grounds are so pretty and our kids always liked the pools. The boat ride to DTD is very relaxing and a nice way to end a night. We have stayed in several different buildings but I really liked 14. We had a 2nd floor corner room (they always seem bigger to me) with a water view. We had asked for a garden view but got a water view (NICE). The closeness to the main building and bus stop was good. We never waited long for any of the buses. I am sure you will enjoy your stay here.

LuckyMum22
07-20-2007, 09:37 AM
WOW! Your responses were so helpful!:rocks:
I had actually requested (prior to this post) building 25 because I thought it would be close to that outer bus stop and a quiet pool. I called Disney Travel Co. last night and switched to building 14, upper floor. I will also call the resort directly the day before we arrive since our flight gets in around 8 pm. If we can't get 14 when we check in, I'll know to ask for 27 next. I am so much more excited about the resort now! We are also on a quest to stay at every resort, as you can see from my signature. We really liked the French Quarter and explored the Riverside part when we stayed there in 2005 but I don't remember seeing the AB section.
Can't wait!...40 days now!
Thanks so much for all the responses! You all most likely helped make our trip more magical!

LarryBoy
07-20-2007, 03:19 PM
How do I request a certain building? I had Wendy from MJ request it on our reservation, but do I need to call or anything? We arrive on Tuesday morning, probably between 9-10.