PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Resort

BigRedDad
07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
We are a long way off from our trip in January/February 2009. So far, the discussions have been about convenience with an almost 3yo, almost 2yo, and a grandpa that will be slightly hindered by all the WDW walking. For convenience sake, the decision has been to stay at a monorail resort.

Rates are not going to be around for a VERY long time. By looking at today's rates (without any packages or specials), we would most likely only be able to stay at the Contemporary South Garden Wing. It is very convenient to MK, FW Camp Fire, Chef Mickey's, OHana's.

After all the rambling, my question is how nice is the Garden Wing compared to the tower?

NJRRK
07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
If you don't look out the window the Garden Wing rooms are identical to the Standard (read not club level) rooms in the CR. The only difference being the view.

They may be a little quiter, as some people have said they hear the noise of Chef Mickey's, etc. through the doors of their tower room. I don't remember that, but it's been 20+ :( years since I've stayed in a tower room.

Try to avoid the Standard View rooms, they look out at the parking lot and the back of the Convention Center. The Garden view rooms, on the lake side, feel very secluded.

We will be staying in the Garden Wing in August, I'll post my findings in Sept.

Jeff
07-17-2007, 08:58 AM
We have stayed in the Garden Wing and the rooms were nice. The only thing I would do differently is to request the top floor. We had a family above us that I swear was bowling until about 1am each night.

Lady
07-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Since walking is an issue, you may also want to request a room close to the main building-make a note on your reservation that mobility is a problem. Some rooms in the wings that directly face Bay Lake are a long walk from the monorail.

TammiMcMan
07-17-2007, 09:21 AM
The only difference being the view.In addition to the view, the garden wing rooms do not have a balcony. The ground floor rooms have a patio that is shared, not private. Also, there's no fencing around the patio, so if you are going with little ones, you may not want to be on the ground floor anyway.

BigRedDad
07-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Thank you for the feedback. We are in the very early stages of planning. The problem I am having is with our entire family. My family being the most financially sound is looking for the best bang for the buck. While the others in the family are looking at staying at a deluxe resort. Personally, if my DD would remember being at a deluxe resort, I would have no issue. She will turn 3 while we are there, so I hope that will make it more memorable.

Between flights, park tickets, and resorts, I am looking at these as the two extremes of going for 8 days/7nights (current rates):

Pop-Century - $2320
Poly MK View - $5163

I can go twice for what this one trip will cost. Hopefully, with any luck, the family will decide to join DVC.

wdwfansince75
07-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Actually, having stayed in the South Wing three times over the years (75, 81, and last year, after the rehab....also stayed in North Wing multiple times....80, 83, 99, 02, 03....will dearly miss it!), I believe it is a great choice. It is quite quiet, and very convenient. Your kids are still too young to miss the Game Room as our kids and grandkids do....

For mobility....no stairs for bus stops.....monorail is elevator or escalator accessable....Biggest (best) change over the years was adding first floor access to lobby....MK, where you should spend majority of your time with the young ones, is an easy walk.....consider an electric scooter for the week...about $200 for the week....

First floor allows easy access to Pool and dock area......coldest, most refreshing beer I ever had was at pool side at the Contemporary.....

Great view of Electric Water Parade.....short walk to see Wishes....

We've had kids and grandkids there at ages from 1 on up.....ground floor has been no problem. Many more plusses than minuses... Only noise problem we ever had was DFIL....and he was in next room!!!

Not sure how they will replace Food and Fun Center, but it should be done by the time you arrive....

TammiMcMan
07-17-2007, 10:10 AM
It's certainly more convenient to have everyone within the same resort, but it's not an absolute must. Sometimes going with extended family, it's better to plan some things separately and a few activities together. Not to mention, having your own space to relax and unwind. For example, each family unit picks the resort that works best for them. Then plan one night for a group Wishes cruise, a morning character meal and a few other meals here and there. Everyone has a different way to tour Disney and even within the same family, we each have our favorite park that we'd prefer to spend more time at.

While I love Disney, it's definitely a challenge to plan with a group.