PDA

View Full Version : What is Mears?

cherbie66
07-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi everyone. I am planning a trip to Disney from aug 27-sept 4 and want to go to universal and IOA also. I have heard people talking about Mears, what exactly is this? How do I get it? Will they pick me up at my resort (AS Movies)?

plutoboy
07-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Mears is a transportation company that mainly basis itself out of the Orlando International Airport. They also own/operate the taxi companied here in Orlando such as Yellow Cab and Checker Cab. As a resort General Manager here in Orlando I do caution people about using Mears as they are not always that reliable. I have had family after family left waiting either for the Mears Airport Van/Shuttle Van only to have it never show up because the van driver is at the wrong hotel. Unfortunately their taxi service is starting to get just as bad.

Unfortunately since you are staying at Disney a taxi or Mears will really be your only choice of getting into and out of Disney...if you do not rent a car.

Sorry the news on them is not that great but I hope it helps.

tadshome
07-17-2007, 02:51 AM
I used Mears last year from our hotel All Star Movies on 3 occassions(Universal, Seaworld and Florida Mall) and each time the cab was outside reception when requested and they also booked the return cab for me and it was there at the agreed time. :thumbsup:

countrycharmer
07-17-2007, 07:22 AM
We tried Mears, but prefer Happy Limo even more....roughly same prices and service is much nicer.

07-17-2007, 02:26 PM
We had reserved a Mears shuttle when we were there this past May to take us to Universal. When I made the reservation, I was told that we would have a van/shuttle & it would take about 20 mins. to get to Universal. Mears did show up on time but it was a large bus & the driver said he had to make multiple stops & would take well over an hour to get to Universal. As we wanted to get there at park opening, we opted for a taxi & were very happy with that. There were taxis readily available at the resort. We will never use Mears again.

cherbie66
07-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I heard that Mears is about $16. Is that for a shuttle?

countrycharmer
07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I took Mears to a Shopping mall around Xmas....first of all when I got in they started the "fare" counter at $3.50...I gave the man EXACT directions....he took me to the wrong mall and told me to get out he was running late and I could call another!!! He then had the audacity to charge me $18.00 and added his own tip making it $21.00!! I was beyond aggrevated.... I called my husband who told me he took me to a mall that was not even close to where I wanted to be.... I then called Mears and told them what happened.... they asked me for a description of the man, etc., I told them they dispatched him to pick me up originally so they should know the person!!! Then he told me that he could send someone, but it would cost me another fare!! I then proceeded to really tear him a new one!!!! I told him if he did not have anyone there within 10 minutes I would call the police and Disney would be informed.... he called me back on my cell, told me who would be picking me up, and that after thinking it over there would be no charge! I asked him why the meter "started" at $3.50 before I had even given the guy my destination and he said that he would be needing to check that out. I also asked why the tip was automatically added in...no answer for that either. The newer taxi came 1 1/2 hours later!!! Get this....they sent another company and wanted me to pay.... I got in told the driver where I needed to be and that I had no intentions to pay them...they could contact Mears.... he called his office, they called Mears and finally I got to me destination.,...only to find the store closed!!! At this point I had the taxi guy drive me to the restaurant where I knew my husband and some Coronado employees had gone for dinner and ordered double margaritas!!! My tip to the second driver....never work for Mears!!

spoiledraf
07-19-2007, 06:07 AM
We used a cab last year and had a great conversation with the driver. He said Mears is really raking the drivers and it's impossable to make any money anymore. As I recall, he said each driver has to pay Mears something like $750 a week for the honor of driving the cab. They don't make a penny until they bring in that much money. He said said since Magical Express started, (owned by Mears)they have lost all their good fares from the airport and all they get now are short fares between resorts within Disney. He said a lot of drivers are leaving and whats left, and the new ones coming in, are the bottom of the barrel. He wa actually a pretty comical guy and we had a great time riding with him.

Somebody mentioned $16 dollars fare to Universal. Try $40 plus tip! each way!

Beast_fanatic
07-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Somebody mentioned $16 dollars fare to Universal. Try $40 plus tip! each way!

The $16 was for the Mears shuttle (a bus), not for a taxi ride. I'm not sure if the cost is $16 or more, but that's what that was in reference to...

goofiecrazy
07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
We have never had a problem with Mears in the past. BEfore Disney had ME we used Mears from the airport to the hotel and back.We used them to get to Sea World and Universal everytime.We call the day before to get to SW or Universal and they have always been on time and picked us up on time and droped us off on time.We will use them again to get to Sea World again on next trip.