PDA

View Full Version : Beignets at PO--getting there

mickey-mouse35
07-14-2007, 03:33 PM
My DH loves the beignets and strong coffee at Port Orleans. :cloud9: If we're not staying there this time and we have a car, can we stop for breakfast? I know you can park at resorts if you have ADR but what about counterservice places? Thanks!

ibrowse17
07-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes, you can:thumbsup: On our last trip we stayed at Ft. Wilderness, and drove to POFQ to check it out. While there, we ate beignets and drank coffee:cloud9: We liked it so much, we will be staying there on our next trip.

BronxTigger
07-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Forgive me....what are beignets and how do you pronounce it?

ElenitaB
07-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Beignets are square, fried pillows of dough generally covered in powdered sugar and best eaten when hot (try a zeppole up in the Bronx and you'll get the idea). When made well, they're truly wonderful. My introduction to beignets was in New Orleans at Cafe du Monde, where they're served with cafe au lait (the coffee there has chicory)... a place that everyone should visit if at all possible! :thumbsup:

It's pronounced "ben-yey" (or ben-yeah).

StitchLuvr
07-14-2007, 10:42 PM
When we stayed at POFQ this past fall we got some beignets.....they were good, but (IMO) not as good as the ones served in the TRUE French Quarter! :mickey:

It's also best to eat them hot.....if you let them get cold they're chewy like rubber. :ack:

sunlyon
07-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Forgive me....what are beignets and how do you pronounce it?

behn-yay (to sound french or acadien don't pronounce the final s even when asking for more than one)

Je voudrais deux beignets, s'il vous plait...

I would like 2 beignets (behn-yay, NOT behn-yays), please.

mickey-mouse35
07-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes, Cafe du Monde in the real French Quarter has the best, but Disney's are pretty good, too! :D

Yes, you can On our last trip we stayed at Ft. Wilderness, and drove to POFQ to check it out. While there, we ate beignets and drank coffee

This is WONDERFUL news--how did you get into the resort with the gates? We are staying offsite so we won't have any resort ID for our car.

ibrowse17
07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
We just drove up to the gate, and asked if it would be alright to check out the resort. They let us in with no problems or questions. Our resort ID from FW was on the dash, but not sure if the guard even looked at it. If nothing else, just catch a bus from one of the parks:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
07-15-2007, 09:18 PM
We've just been honest... tell them we want beignets and they usually just smile and say ok.

If you are driving, they are DTD resorts, so that will help you get there!

Clotho
07-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Quick note, based on my high school French--admittedly ages ago! LOL The only reason why you wouldn't pronounce the "s" is if the "s" is already being enunciated in the word which follows it. In the exanple, if you didn't follow with "s'il voua plait", the "s" could be fairly pronounced. Am I wrong??

But I digress!

I really enjoyed the beignets in New Orleans Square in Disneyland, but finally had "the real thing" in NOLA a little over a month ago. Deamy!

How do the POFQ ones compare?

fielin
07-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Quick note, based on my high school French--admittedly ages ago! LOL The only reason why you wouldn't pronounce the "s" is if the "s" is already being enunciated in the word which follows it. In the exanple, if you didn't follow with "s'il voua plait", the "s" could be fairly pronounced. Am I wrong??

Actually the rule is even simpler than that : final s are not pronounced. Others are !

So, when a s is a sign of plural, you will not pronounce it. But if it is, actually a word or an abbreviation (as in "s'aimer" (to love each other), "s'il vous plait" (please), "s'amuser" (to have fun), Boussole (compass)...) it will be pronounced.

Still,if a word ending with an "s" is followed by a word beginning with a vowel, there is a 'liaison'. This means that you will slightly pronounce it, in an attenuated form.

"Les beignets adorables" = [leh benn yeah za do rah bl], (the adorable beignets)
"Les roses odorantes" = [leh rohz zoh doh rant] (the smelly roses) etc...

On the subject of beignets, I LOVED THEM ! I wish I could be there to enjoy a few... They were my favorite breakfast all the time I have been at POFQ.

pwdebbie
07-16-2007, 09:54 AM
<<Yes, you can On our last trip we stayed at Ft. Wilderness, and drove to POFQ to check it out. While there, we ate beignets and drank coffee We liked it so much, we will be staying there on our next trip.>>

Does this mean that the coffee at POFQ is better than at many of the other resorts? Or just the beignets are worth coming back for?
I've been told that the coffee throughout the resorts and the parks is, in general, disappointing.

Deb

mickey-mouse35
07-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Does this mean that the coffee at POFQ is better than at many of the other resorts? Or just the beignets are worth coming back for?
I've been told that the coffee throughout the resorts and the parks is, in general, disappointing.

They offer (or at least did when we went) the Chicory coffee similar to what you can get in New Orleans, which is super strong. My DH loves it but it's a bit too bitter for me. I just go for the beignets! :D

Clotho
07-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks fielin!!