PDA

View Full Version : Room Request at Pop

disneykat
07-14-2007, 08:34 AM
We are driving to Orlando and plan to arrive by early afternoon on September 1. Should I bother with a room request that time of year or should I simply discuss it upon arrival? I've never stayed at Pop, but I'd like a room close to a parking lot and not too far from the food court. Also, since Disney has gone non-smoking, do the previous "smoking" rooms have any of the smoke smell left in them? I get really bad headaches when I am around smoke or the smokey smell. Any tips are appreciated!

48 days to Pop!!:mickey:

Strmchsr
07-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Since the free dining promotion is going on and the values are easily the most popular during that time (and POP is the most popular of the values), I'd say yes a room request would be in order since everyone wants rooms close to something. IF your room location isn't what you had hoped for you can ask again at check in to see if anything is available, but making the request beforehand, while not guaranteeing anything, gives you a little better shot.

From the reports I've been given, the old smoking rooms were totally cleansed and you can't tell. DW is pretty sensitive to smoke as well and we haven't had the chance to test it first hand, but I trust the folks who have given me that word.

BelleBeauty
07-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I would make a room request, you can never be too careful if there is something you want particularly. Fax in a request 3-4 days before your arrival. I usually prioritize my requests, just in case all of them can't be met. Though you want to be close to the main building, you may want to consider asking to not have a room pool-side since the main pool (near the main building) can get very noisy at night.

Gotta Love the TTA
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
First thing you should do is look at a map of the resort.

If proximity to the parking lot is important, notice what buildings are going to be closer. For example, the 60's buildings are "preferred" with a higher price because they are (supposedly) closer to the main building.
HOWEVER, the 60's buildings are ridiculously far from the parking lot.

Some of the 80's and 90's buildings are very close to the lots.

SEcond thing is to get your request on your reservation. If you made it yourself, call 407-WDISNEY and have it added. If you went through a travel agent or AAA, they must alter your reservation.

I've heard that faxes are no longer read or honored. This makes sense to me, although I've been contradicted here. Personally, I wouldn't bother. (and don't)

Arriving early is a plus. If you are willing to wait for a specific room until afternoon, mention that as well.

All that said, there have been lots of folks who weren't thrilled with their assignment, because they didn't get what they wanted, but realized they liked where they were better.

Pop Centurion
07-14-2007, 05:47 PM
We're arriving the same day. :thumbsup:

I'd definitely request ahead of time. Pop gets pretty packed even during this time of year.
Last year we stayed in the 90's building (building #8) closest to the 90's parking lot. To get to the busses & food court we just cut across the parking lot. There was also the computer pool which isn't as cool as the Hippy Dipppy but it was still nice having a pool right at our building. I found this to be a pretty good location. Building 1 in the 50's is also good but I'd look at the map to see what will work best for you.

http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/popcentury07.jpg