PDA

View Full Version : Just the 10 of Us...The Brown Family's Trip to WDW!- Day 1 (Arrival)

cjb121879
07-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Cast of Characters
Me-27 and designated planner
Mom-55
Sister-18
Aunt-47
Cousin-26
Cousin-18
Cousin-14
Cousin-12
Nephew/Godchild-8
Niece/Godchild-5

To make a long story even longer, we planned this trip for approximately a year. A lot of work was put into the trip(and a lot of reviewing these boards!) and we really had the best time:number1:.

A note- Day 2 and Day 3 will be posted in the Vacations Beyond Disney forum on the Info, News and Trip Reports board, since we spent those days at Universal. Didn't want post those in the wrong place!

Bear with me- brevity is not my strong suit:blush:...

Luckily, I was sitting at a computer at exactly noon on the day before we left so I was able to check our large group :grouphug:in on Southwest. We were all assigned to Group A, except my aunt. Southwest’s system said they were unable to check her in and that she would need to proceed to the ticket counter at the airport the next day. I see a lot of this as I work for TSA, so I assumed her name resembled someone’s on the Watch List and figured that we would have to fill some paperwork out when we got home to prevent this from happening again. We resigned ourselves to the fact that she would probably be in Group C.

We arrived at the airport and checked in with a skycap, figuring that we would need to check my aunt in at the ticket counter. This was not the case. He was able to pull her boarding pass and even though she was still assigned to Group C, it saved us a trip to the ticket counter. The terminal was not as crowded as it can be and the line moved fairly quickly and we got through the checkpoint in no time. I would like to say that the flight was uneventful, but my 5 year old niece was not exactly thrilled during takeoff and landing. She is a bit of a scaredy cat anyway so she cried during the normal bumps you feel at those times. However, at cruising altitude, she was fine. Can I just say how great the Southwest flight attendants are? One of the male attendants even devised a short game for people to play while en route to Orlando. He gave a list of four occupations and the passengers had to guess which attendant had that career before joining Southwest. Somehow, my mom and aunt won!

We landed on time, though we took off a bit late due to the late departure of the flight leaving our gate right before us. Breezed through baggage claim, only to be confronted with the longest line I’d ever seen at a rental car counter. It took almost an hour to retrieve our two cars and when I got out to the lot, I found that they were out of intermediate cars and I was upgraded to a full size car! What a nice surprise!

We stayed in a house in a beautiful development with a pool, spa, game room, etc. and the kids loved it. My cousin and I were nominated to make the run to Super Walmart for breakfast foods and assorted beverages. Of course, by this time, I was developing a major headache from not having eaten anything substantial since breakfast (Ritz crackers and peanuts on the plane don’t count!). So we finish the run to Walmart just in time to start getting ready for our 9:35pm ADR at ‘Ohana!

Let me just say, if you’ve never eaten here before, DO IT! Immediately! I was very sleepy and a bit irritable from my headache on the drive over to the Polynesian. Just stepping on the grounds made me feel a bit better- I couldn’t believe how themed and beautiful the inside and outside of the resort were! Though we were about 45 minutes early, we checked in and found a seat in the waiting area. The waiter buzzed around taking drink orders and I didn’t even have to look at a menu- thanks to the wonderful advice of my fellow Intercotees, we knew we were having Lapu Lapus:papple:. After the first sip, we were officially on vacation (Headache? What headache?)! We were seated roughly 20 minutes early and our wonderful server started bringing out food right away. The kids tried all the sauces for the wonton chips and before we had a chance to wonder what was next, the salad was on the table. Next were the unbelievable wings and the shrimp (which everyone else loved- I don’t like seafood so I can’t say from firsthand experience). We also made a dent in the wonderful au gratin potatoes and stir-fried veggies. And when we thought we couldn’t eat anymore, pork loin, turkey, sausage and sirloin steak as far as the eye could see:thumbsup:. The steak was not done as well as I would have liked and when I asked our server about it, she said she’d be more than happy to get me some. And the best moment of all, just as we began dessert, the lights dimmed and Wishes started. We were at a table that wasn’t even right up against the window and we still had a great view:cloud9:. My family couldn’t get over this restaurant and they all thanked me profusely for researching it and making the reservations- balm to a Disney planner’s soul! Everyone was so full and happy that ‘Ohana became a byword for “awesome” during the entire trip:number1:!

When we got home, everyone showered and fell into bed ready to start our first full day of vacation the next morning!

TiggeRia
07-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Sounds like a good start to your trip! Ohana's is one of my favorite restaurants-glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more! :mickey:

gauvin4
07-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Wow!! Sounds like everything is going perfectly so far. Can't wait to read more.!!:mickey:

T-Belle
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
We're trying O'Hana for the first time next trip and I can't wait! Especially after your review. Sounds so yummy! Thanks for posting.

January-2007
07-13-2007, 09:38 AM
We have a late ADR for 'Ohana in September, 9:30 PM... Yours was around that time and you had a fantastic time... this is good!! How great you got to see Wishes from the table, as well! Thanks so much for the trip report, I can't wait to read more!

faline
07-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Wonderful start to your trip!

SBETigg
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
'Ohana! Fun first day. Nothing like stepping into the Great Ceremonial House. Thanks for the report.

StitchLuvr
07-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a great start.....like the others, I can't wait to read more!! :mickey:

Although we've only done the Lilo & Stitch breakfast at O'hana's, we love it there too!! Great food, and the view is incredible!! :cloud9:

dolphinmickey9170
07-13-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm glad your headache was washed away with your Lapu Lapu.....they are yummy. O'Hana is awesome, great foot, great atmousephere and of course, great view of Wishes! Can't wait to read more.

Lizzie
07-14-2007, 12:58 PM
What a great start to your trip.

Bethanymouse
07-14-2007, 11:20 PM
What a crew you have! I am glad that Ohana's was a success! A perfect start to a magical vacation! I cant wait to read more!

realtreebar
07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
thanks for sharing!

pdrlkr
07-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Bethis26fan
07-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for sharing.

KylesMom
07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
My cousin and I were nominated to make the run to Super Walmart for breakfast foods and assorted beverages.
Gee, how did you get so lucky? :D I'm glad Ohana pleased everyone in your group and that your vacation has started off on the right foot. Can't wait to read more!:mickey:

DizNee143
07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
sounds like a easy travel day...everything seemed to go pretty good..and thats cool that you got a bigger car!! and wow dinner sure did sound yummy...ill get there one day to eat there!! cant wait to read about the rest..:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I can't wait to read the rest.

MauiMouse
07-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds like your off to a great start. Glad to hear that you had a good experience at Ohana's. :mickey:

TINKERBELL_82
08-05-2007, 09:27 PM
How great!! Ohana is wonderful! Sounds like you're off to a great start!:mickey:

kaerbear178
08-06-2007, 12:16 AM
We have an ADR for 'Ohana on our first night as well. I can't wait, it was one of our favorites last time. I'm glad you had such a good meal! Can't wait to read the rest of your reports.