PDA

View Full Version : Vibrato in the singing voice

Movieguy
07-12-2007, 09:24 PM
I was recently in a show with my Mother, for which I volunteered to help out. It's not the first time I've sung, not by a longshot, but once more, I seem to have impressed a few people with my singing voice.

People have encouraged me to sing more, but I just feel a bit akward about it. I think my voice is ok, but it has a lot of vibrato, that just comes naturally. And I've noticed lately, from looking on other places online, there is just so much venom out there against vibrato. People just absolutely hate it.

What's the deal? Does everyone want guys to sing like they're in boy bands nowadays? It's ok, but it's not me. I guess it's a good thing I decided to turn away from singing on a more professional level, because modern composers would have most likely hated me, all because of a vibrato that I can't really control, or feels unnatural when I try.

Sorry for rambling like this. I just felt like I needed an outlet for my feelings on this somewhere.

PirateLover
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I like vibrato for opera and musicals. It just has more of a theatrical feel to it and lends itself more to that type of performance. But as far as pop music goes, it just doesn't fit anymore these days. And a lot of times (like if you watch American Idol auditions) people try to force it OR it is just so out of control that it becomes distracting. And, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard a guy with a vibrato that I don't like but I admit that some women with crazy vibrato do grate on my nerves a bit. Just my opinion! But if I were you I would just keep doing what you are doing and accept the compliments, and if you wanted to pursue singing further to perhaps go the musical theater route if that is what suits your voice more.

TikiGoddess
07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Vibrato is a product of a healthy, working singing voice. When I went to college (Ithaca College, by the way!) majoring in vocal performance, I didn't have a vibrato and I hated it. In my senior year I finally found a teacher who worked with me to free up my larynx and now I have a pretty fast vibrato. It's not exactly a 'Snow White' vibrato but it's faster than normal.

I now sing on a daily basis as an elementary music teacher. I've gotten to the point where I can control my vibrato (slow it down, or only use it in certain spots). I want my students to hear a good vocal model and my full classical voice would not be good for that. I save that for when I'm on the stage!

My advice would be to try and find a good voice teacher. Even if you only take a few lessons they might be able to help you realize your voice's full potential and then you'll be more comfortable with your voice and how it sounds. You might also want to tape yourself singing and listen to it with a critical ear. I don't think vibrato is out of place in a musical theater or opera setting. To me vibrato sounds more healthy than a flat tone -- it gives it more life and vibrancy.

:)
TikiG

Jasper
07-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I happen to be someone who thinks a bit of vibratto in a voice (male or female) sounds good. Of course, as has already been mentioned when it is out of control it can be VERY distracting. I agree with the comments that you should continue singing and try to find a voice coach who will work with you so that you can do use as a tool in your singing.

Jenemmy
07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
I once did a lot of singing (haven't for a while and I sure miss it) and my vibrato was pointed out more than once. I was told it was a "glaring vocal glitch" -- LOL. Nice to see that others on here like it. To me, it is just part of the character of your voice -- just like anything else that makes you you. Some folks like to hear a voice with vibrato, some like to hear it without, I suppose.

If you have received positive response on your singing, then embrace it and keep on doing what you love :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
07-13-2007, 05:38 PM
My vibrato is slow, and I've always thought it sounded like trying to start a car on a cold morning. Others, however, say it's like Judy Garland's, and they really like it. I still don't, but I also don't like being short, chubby, and grey. I'm a low alto, and will never be Sandi Patty, but I get asked to sing at weddings and funerals, and enjoy it immensly.:)

If your audience likes your voice, and the music comes from your heart, don't accept negative criticism. You just keep doing your music. There are many that would like to sing, and let their "image" keep them from trying. I admire anyone that has the courage to get up in front of a group and sing or dance or do anything. It's a lonely, scary place.

Kudo's to you !:thumbsup:

StitchLuvr
07-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I came from a musical family and can say that any talent, be it singing or playing a musical instrument, should be nurtured and developed to the full potential.

I can sing, and have been told I have a beautiful voice, but I always concentrated on playing my flute & piccolo. I would love to be able to develop my singing voice with vibrato but doubt it'll ever happen.

I also urge you to see a voice coach and give it all you've got!!

Catwillow
07-13-2007, 10:30 PM
When used correctly and appropriately it is extremely beautiful. Use it 'falsely' and uncontrolled and it's irritating and ugly. Those who truly have a gift for hearing & listening to music will know the difference.

Horizon93
07-14-2007, 03:55 PM
You should absolutely keep singing. As has been mentioned, vibrato does develop ion a trained voice. I direct musicals at the high school level, and over the four years of a students high school career, many of them develop vibrato and better control of their voices.

You should definitely work with a coach to allay your concerns. If people like your voice, sing!

cheshirecollector
07-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Some folks like to hear a voice with vibrato, some like to hear it without, I suppose.

It's just a matter of personal preference, like every other vocal style, so don't worry about it. I was recently watching a clip of Canadian Idol where one of the contestants has an almost constant vibrato. I couldn't stand to listen to him, but the judges and the audience loved him.

drummerboy
07-16-2007, 11:18 AM
One reason I get good parts in local musicals is the lack of males who are willing to get on stage and sing. Go and try out for some parts--that's where a good vibrato is often valuable.

In the show we're doing now, my baritone with vibrato is good for the part I'm playing, but it wouldn't be right for some of the other parts that call for a little more modern, young singing voice.

MsMin
07-21-2007, 10:38 AM
After seeing your post I was curious and asked my dd25, who sang in her HS's honor chorale, why I heard her say she hated vibrato. Her reply was that she doesn't hate it, in fact it can be very beautiful when fitting. She said that vibrato drove her crazy in the choir when they are striving to sound like one voice and the person next to you is singing vibrato-it ruins the effect they are striving for. She felt like it doesn't work in a choir but is great in a solo. Now dipthong, thats another question entirely!
Don't give up.

mrsgaribaldi
07-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Please excuse my ignorance but what is vibrato in a singing voice?:blush: