PDA

View Full Version : The funny thing about annual passes...

CandleontheWater
07-12-2007, 08:11 PM
When DH and I moved to Jacksonville in 2005, my first order of buisness was to convince DH that we needed annual passes to Disney. I cajoled and begged and reasoned with him that they would pay for themselves in just a trip or two and we would save all sorts of money on lodging and other things. Well he eventually saw the light and we purchases annual passes. The funny thing was, since we had those annual passes, we began to take many more trips, because as the reasoning went, "we already have the tickets". Well after the passes, the next logical purchase was the DDE, because it was only $65 and it would save us 15% on TS restaurants. After purchasing the DDE a funny thing happened, we began to eat at a lot more TS restaurants because we did get a discount. ;) After becoming DDE savy, of course the next logical purchase was DVC, because we were going so much and we would be able to stay at Deluxe accomodations for much cheaper. I mean DVC would pay for itself in a few years, right? Of course now this will only encourage us to go more because we "can't let the points go to waste".:rotfl: Does anyone else have this problem, how one little "money saving" Disney idea has pretty much resulted in spending hordes of money in Disney :blush: Honestly at this rate I should just have my paycheck direct depostied into the disney coffiers! :funny: Oh well, its money well spent, it is Disney after all! :mickey:

mrp4352
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Ahhh, the magic of fuzzy Disney math! Ain't it grand???

Pirate Granny
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
We did the same thing...bought annual passes and then actually spent 38 days during our year...at Disney, 'cause the passes were free...we also purchased the DDE and ate very well...now, I've taken a step back...and we are just going to purchase 10 day passes and go back to counter service for awhile...I'm sure half of my paycheck went to Disney the last few years...and we don't live in Florida...it's a three hour plane ride away...

BUT...I did ENJOY myself...:pirate:

kakn7294
07-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Funny you should mention this - DH and I discussed this very issue just a couple of days ago. I was upset with myself that we didn't get annual passes since we had 2 eight day long trips in the past 9 months. However, when I did the math and figured out what we would have had to pay for the passes versus what we paid for the packages we got, we would have actually spent more on the annual passes. I felt a little better after that!

January-2007
07-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh, yeah, I totally get that!!!!

For the amount of money we have spent this year on our four trips with Annual Passes I think we could have stayed at the Grand Floridian on our Honeymoon instead of Pop Century..... I love that it's DH who wants the Annual Passes... Gives me a great excuse to plan another trip. After September we won't go for a year. I'm already panning and scheming as to how to go a lot again after that. Do we not go a year, go once in a year, not go a year, then go three times in a year? That's what I'm thinking...

Annual passes have made me think about WDW trips 4 years into the future... And it's so hard to sit here at home knowing that I have a theme park ticket just burning a whole in my wallet! We could be there right now! Why aren't we? :D