PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Dust for Melanears!!!

Strmchsr
07-12-2007, 09:57 AM
It's been a fairly quiet tropical storm season for the USA so far (though we're not to the main season yet). However, In the western Pacific Typhoon Man-Yi has strengthened into a Category Four storm with maximum sustained winds of 212 kilometers per hour (132 miles an hour) in the Pacific Ocean as it heads for Japan (specifically Okinawa) where our own Melanears is located. This major system has the potential to produce loss of life and very significant property damage. Please send up lots of :pixie: that Mel and all of those in the affected area will be safe.

**Update** - See post #8 - Mel is in the USA for the summer, but I'm sure all the folks who are there would appreciate the :pixie:

crazypoohbear
07-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Sending lots of Pixie dust. Please keep safe
Mel, when I lived there many years ago we use to get all kinds of warnings also and everyone panicked. My mother usually did not worry, she would always say "watch the locals, they know their Island better than anyone." If they are still out working and going about their normal business then things are fine.!
I hope everything is okay for the Island.

tinkerbellybutton
07-12-2007, 10:13 AM
:pixie: Sending tons of pixie dust. Stay safe Mel!

offwego
07-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Lots of pixie dust on it's way. Stay Safe Mel.

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

princessjojo
07-12-2007, 10:21 AM
I saw a story about this storm brewing this morning and thought about Mel...

Keep safe over there :hide:! I'll be thinking about you.

Prayers and :pixie: for a safe few days!

DVC2004
07-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Sending more prayers and pixie dust.

hoop de do
07-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Pixie Dust and prayers for Mel's safety. Please keep us posted:tink::pixie::tink::pixie:

ChipDale
07-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Mel is in the States this summer so no worries!

Melanie
07-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Awww, thank you for the concern, Chris. :) :pixie: for my kitties though!

Yikes! I had no idea it was a Cat. 4 storm. I've been hearing from my pet sitter, and she didn't indicate it was that strong. She did say it is moving quickly though, so that's good.

It's headed directly for Oki, Chris? :( I hope our trampoline doesn't become a flying hazard. I turned it over and sandbagged it, but 132 mph winds might conquer that. All the buildings in Okinawa are built to handle typhoon winds, so let's hope everyone plays it safe and there's no loss of life.

gauvin4
07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
:pixie::pixie: For the Kitties and everyone over there.

DizNee143
07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
glad to hear you are home for the summer!! i hope the storm isnt as bad as it seems!!
btw...how does is feel to be back home? its like two completely different worlds the US and Japan?

Catwillow
07-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Aw yes...the memories. Lived there for several years....miss it much!!!! Will keep all those in it's path in my prayers. Glad to hear Melanears is stateside and safe....

SgtTigger
07-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I am think of those kitties..........

Glad you are not there Mel.......

:cop: :tigger:

Strmchsr
07-12-2007, 08:55 PM
It's headed directly for Oki, Chris? :( I hope our trampoline doesn't become a flying hazard. I turned it over and sandbagged it, but 132 mph winds might conquer that. All the buildings in Okinawa are built to handle typhoon winds, so let's hope everyone plays it safe and there's no loss of life.

Yeah, it looks right now like it'll pass right over Naha, Okinawa late tonight central US time. Right now it's kicking up 38 ft waves and by tomorrow morning sustained winds are projected to be 150 mph with gusts to 185. :jaw: The track forecast carries it along the southern edge of the Japanese islands and passing just north of Tokyo Sunday morning. I'm glad you're not there, and hopefully kitties and trampoline will all come out alright.

crazypoohbear
07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Aw yes...the memories. Lived there for several years....miss it much!!!! Will keep all those in it's path in my prayers. Glad to hear Melanears is stateside and safe....

ME TOO!!! We lived both on and off base. In Kadena and Kyuna. I miss it still. We had typhoons but I don't recall anything of this magnitude.

Yeah, it looks right now like it'll pass right over Naha, Okinawa late tonight central US time. Right now it's kicking up 38 ft waves and by tomorrow morning sustained winds are projected to be 150 mph with gusts to 185. :jaw: The track forecast carries it along the southern edge of the Japanese islands and passing just north of Tokyo Sunday morning. I'm glad you're not there, and hopefully kitties and trampoline will all come out alright.
Keep us posted on the Island. It still holds such fond memories for me. I hope everyone survives unscathed. It's a small island

I'm glad that Melanie and the kids are here for the summer.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I guess there are a few of us on here that have lived on Okinawa. With us it was way back in the 60's. As a kid, I loved it there. But we never had a typhoon that strong blow through. Ours were minor compared to that.
I hope everyone there stay safe!

Melanie
07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Man, this thing is HUGE. Hard for me to imagine, even after going through many hurricanes, although none as large as this. I'm very worried about everyone and everything. :(

ChipnDaleGal
07-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Mel, I am so glad that you and the boys weren't sitting there in the middle of all that. I know it is hard to be so far away and wonder what is happening at home. I hope your kitties are safe and the trampoline didn't cause any big trouble. I hope you can get some kind of word very soon. Until I can give you a real life hug in a few weeks, I am sending lots of virtual ones!

:pixie: :hug: :pixie: :hug: :pixie: :hug:

Melanie
07-13-2007, 07:18 AM
I've heard from a couple of folks, and although they cannot leave their homes yet, things seem to be okay. Lots of tree damage, of course, but they still have electricity. I'll let you know what I find out when folks start getting out and about!

Thanks so much for all the :pixie: and good thoughts! You guys are the best. :)

Carol
07-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Good news thus far Mel. :whew: