PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo Disney Visa

Lacy
07-11-2007, 11:27 PM
With two Disney trips planned this year and a $50 gift card offer I was able to convince DH that we should get a Disney Visa. It arrived yesterday! So I have a couple of questions for those of you who have the Disney Visa.

Do you use it as your primary card all the time or just when you have trips planned? Do the rewards dollars expire? Is it easy to get the reward certificates?

I'm looking forward to earning money for my Disney trips :mickey:

KylesMom
07-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi Lacy! We applied for our Disney Visa card over four years ago, and we immediately began using it as our primary card. It is important to note, however, that you really need to pay the card off each month to see any benefit, as the APR is somewhere around 15%. Your return is 1% for each dollar you spend.

In answer to your next question, Yes, the reward dollars expire approximately five years after you earn them.

Lastly, you do not get "certificates" for redemption. Rather, when you are ready to utilize your reward dollars, you order a Rewards Card which looks similar to a credit card. You then transfer your earned Reward Dollars directly onto the card and utilize as you would a debit card at places which accept the reward dollars. Note that the Rewards Card expires in the year following order, and any reward dollars transfered to the card but not used are forfeit.

We use our rewards each year for a nice spending spree at World of Disney!:mickey:

Here we go again...
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes, we use our Disney Visa as our primary card.

Please be careful though. We make sure to pay the card off every month. You are only getting 1% back in Disney Dollars. If you do not pay your balance each month, you will be paying much more than you make in Disney Dollars in interest. I have friends that could have gone to Disney if they were not paying so much interest on their cards.

The cap on dollars earned per year is $750. You would have to spend a lot to get that much in a year!!

Getting the rewards is very easy. You can call or go on the web site and transfer the money onto a gift card.... or more like a prepaid money card. You will need to order the card at least a month before your trip.
The card does expire in December the year after you get the card. So, do not order the card unless you know you will be able to use it by that time.

Once you have a card, if you are going back before the expiration on the card, you can transfer the points on the computer in a matter of seconds.

It is all very easy, I love my Disney rewards!!
We just got back from SSR and had $263 to pay toward our Dining Plan. When I got home, our new Visa bill was in the mail... We already have another $155!! Doing some home improvements. So I am racking up those points. I will be ready for February!

PirateLover
07-12-2007, 12:14 AM
I used my card pretty much as a debit card. I use it for everything and always pay it off each month. I think they gave me one point to start out with which expires in 2009 or something (I signed up in 2004). I have not used any of my points since I got it because I am saving to pay for a weekend getaway. I think I'm at around 130 now and I just got rid of a different credit card so I'll be racking up even more points and will probably use my points sometime in the next year or so. Some might say that's not the best use of the card but it's what I planned on doing from the beginning. My BF also has a card and he cashes out the points to use when we go to the parks for merch and dining. Be warned that if you order a Rewards Card, your points will expire within the year. So don't request the points card until you are ready to use it.

Here we go again...
07-12-2007, 12:16 AM
In answer to your next question, Yes, the reward dollars expire approximately five years after you earn them.

Is it possible to let Disney Dollars sit there for 5 years? :jaw: As soon as I see mine start adding up I plan a trip. My DH is trying to get me to stop going 3+ times a year. :D

teamblackwell
07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi all,
Do I have this right? To redeem rewards; you get a rewards card, transfer reward $ to the rewards card, and use rewards card as a "debit card" for Disney purchases.
Reward card expires the December after you get the card? So, if you get a rewards card in November, you have 1 month to use it?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
See ya in the World(WDW)
Teamblackwell

IloveDisney71
07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that your rewards card expires a year from the date you order it. BUT I would definitely contact them to make sure, before you order a card. They do have a website - DisneyRewards.com - that may have the information you are looking for.
I always use my rewards card to purchase my souv.'s when I visit.

January-2007
07-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Well I just ordered our Rewards Card yesterday for our September trip so I can answer the question about when it expires... Ours expires in December 2008, so yeah, it's the next year in December. I transfered $20 and plan to wait to transfer the rest until closer to the trip since you have to transfer a minimum of $20 every time you want to put anything on the card. We have around $100 in Disney Rewards so far and we're about to pay off our trip so we'll have even more then, plus we pay our rent with the card so that's even more. I love it! I was told the card would arrive by July 30, but I wanted to make sure it was in hand, that's why I ordered it so early. We plan on using the card for the out of pocket character breakfasts and souvenEars I guess. We'll see when we get there. We got our card last October and we have just loved having it! I love the no interest for 6 months on vacation packages. Overall we are very happy with the card.

Marilyn Michetti
07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
We usually have about $250 in reward $$'s each Dec. One thing we didn't realize - after the trip, and the card is empty, don't throw it away. Chase expects you to hand on to the plastic and re-load it for the next time. If you lose it, they will issue a new one with the same number, and a reminder that you already have been issued one. Soooooooo, don't treat it like a gift card - they expect you to use it again.:blush:

Lizzie
07-20-2007, 07:10 PM
We just signed up for this last month and got our $50 gift card in the mail yesterday. I am so excited to try to build points on this. I am all about using it and than paying it off online right away. I don't like balances on credit cards.

crazykids
07-20-2007, 07:45 PM
The main thing here is - pay the card off every month! Their interest rate is on the high side, around 15% I think. I called & asked them to lower it & they only brought it down to around 11%. We got our a little over a year ago & I will have close to $600 reward dollars to blow while I'm there in September! Our family uses this card exclusively to pay for everything, so the points add up quick. If you plan on going to disney often, it really pays to have this card.

AuntDJ
07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I too use my card for everything. I don't pay bills, but everything else, groceries, gas, medicine, meals...

Last time I went I had almost $300. Since I had the trip paid for we (myself & my niece) went to World of Disney one night and just had a blast...if we wanted it we bought it, also bought all of the family gifts as well, and only went over about $ 13....

I agree with paying every month. It is a must!

Have fun!
DJ

pixidust1976
07-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I agree with paying your balance off every month, however... if you are gonna charge the stuff to a different card and carry a balance, then you might as well charge it to a Disney Visa and earn a few Disney dollars before you carry that balance.

And Chase is WONDERFUL about fraud.

I had my first Disney Visa compromised and someone used it for fraudulent purchases and Chase called me up and said... "Hey this sound suspicious" and took care of it for me.

If you refer a friend right now, you get $25 bonus Disney dollars!!!!

I had $453 to use for my trip this September!!!! Woo hoo!

BronxTigger
07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
How long does it usually take to get your rewards card from when you request it online? I forgot to order it and I leave on August 18. Should I get it in time if I order it today online?

If not, there's always the NYC World of Disney, and my October trip....but I'd like to have it on this upcoming trip!

BronxTigger
07-20-2007, 10:07 PM
I think I just found the answer to my question.

This is from the disneyrewards site:

Missed the chance to order a Disney Rewards® Card before your trip?
If you have at least 20 Disney Dream Reward Dollars® in your account, you can get a Disney Rewards Card issued at these guest relations areas:

* Downtown Disney® Marketplace
* Downtown Disney® Westside

Be sure to bring your Disney Rewards Visa Card and a valid photo I.D.

...Has anyone ever done this before?

Beast_fanatic
07-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I think I just found the answer to my question.

This is from the disneyrewards site:

Missed the chance to order a Disney Rewards® Card before your trip?
If you have at least 20 Disney Dream Reward Dollars® in your account, you can get a Disney Rewards Card issued at these guest relations areas:

* Downtown Disney® Marketplace
* Downtown Disney® Westside

Be sure to bring your Disney Rewards Visa Card and a valid photo I.D.

...Has anyone ever done this before?

Yep. It was quite painless. Just go to Guest Relations and tell them you need a Disney Visa Reward Card and they'll guide you through it. Then, they give you a phone number to call to transfer the rewards over. :thumbsup:

Bethanymouse
07-21-2007, 01:43 AM
I have had my disney visa for about 2 years now. I absolutely LOVE it and use it as my primary credit card. I dont use it often as I was a graduate student up until a few months ago but I loved the offers such as early vacation package info, email updates etc. My disney fiance and I both just got our rewards cards filled for our August trip and it was extremely easy! Just visit the website when you are ready and it comes within 2-3 weeks! Have fun racking up those points!