PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair Question

handmaidenofprincesses
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Man, I'm just full of questions today.. this is probably my fifth new thread today... anywho...

My best friend and I are leaving in ten days (and counting!! :mickey:) We're going to the parks for five days.

She busted her knee in an accident and can't walk or stand for the whole day, so we plan to rent wheelchairs. I know that if you rent them all at once, you get two dollars off per day. I'm wondering about when we hop though; say we're in AK in the morning and want to hop to MK in the afternoon. Will it cost us another $8 for that wheelchair, or is a wheelchair rental an all-day all-parks thing?

beksy
07-11-2007, 08:36 PM
It's been awhile since I've done it, but when I did we were able to return the chair at the 1st park and then get another at the next one (as long as one is available). Just make sure to keep your receipt to show the 2nd park CM! :mickey:

LauraF
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Ditto.
When I last went in 2005, I was wheeling my grandmother around. Much like the parking receipt, the next park we went to would honor the wheelchair receipt. Never any problems.

tarjaybuff
07-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I was told that if you rent a wheelchair in the park it must remian in that park in which you rented it. However, if you get a wheelchair from your WDW hotel you can take it anywhere on WDW property.

:thumbsup:My reccomendation is to look into renting a wheelchair from a local medical supply store and take it with you. It will be easier to get through the airports, and you usually get a wait free line at security check in (airport).

In Disney the transportation is great for people with wheelchairs. :confused:Accept for DTD. If you try to get on at Pleasure Island the bus is already full from West Side, and we were told to wait for the next bus. Two busses later we were still there waiting, and had to walk back to West Side just to catch an empty bus. :mad:

Good luck!

LandFan
07-12-2007, 12:15 AM
If you can afford it, I would honestly look into renting an ECV from a local company down there. We did that last September (we rented from CareMedical) and it was great! :cloud9:It was like $25 a day but they dropped it off at the resort and picked it up on our last day. We charged it every night and it made life in the parks soooooo much easier! I don't think we could have pushed my sister around all that way - we would have been exhausted by the end! Plus it gave her the feeling of independence. :thumbsup:

It wast TOTALLY worth it and no trouble at all!!!

If you need any more info, pm me, I'd be happy to give you the website info...

TheRustyScupper
07-12-2007, 11:49 AM
1) The easiest way is to get it from your resort.
2) This way, you have it for all times, not just in the parks.
3) The added benefit is that IT IS FREE.
4) Just leave a credit card number.
5) If you don't return the chair, your are charged $300.
6) If they are out, they can always get one for you.

January-2007
07-12-2007, 02:22 PM
It's like the stroller rental and the parking passes, you pay once, then you have it for the whole day. I've heard of people having problems getting an EVC after park hopping though because they are all taken. Good luck! Lots of great advice here!