PDA

View Full Version : Glasses on Thrill Rides

beksy
07-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Ok, this is kind of a strange question but I figured if anybody had ideas/experience, it would by you all :tiphat: (love Intercot! :thumbsup:). My mom, sister, and I all wear eyeglasses (blind as a bat without them! :bat:). What are some ideas about where to put them when we are doing the thrill rides? :coaster: (also love the smilies!). Before I've had a waistpack but since we are all older we can get buy carrying just one, smaller bag if we don't have to make room in one for 3 sets of eyeglass cases! Is this still the best way to go or has anybody come up with a better idea? Thanks!

86 more days! :goofy:

sgdisney
07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I've ridden every thrill ride at WDW except for EE (and will ride it next month!) and have never removed my glasses and have never had a problem. The only time I even worried about it was my first ride on ToT, but my glasses have never left my face on any of them. So I say leave them on and keep your eyes open so you can see!

daparish
07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I always take hat and sun glasses off but dh always leaves his sun glasses on and has never lost them. That being said, they are only cheap sunglasses and in the event something happened they could easily be replaced with a trip to one of the gift shops.

JPL
07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I wear sunglasses on most coasters so my contacts don't dry out and have never lost a pair. So regular glasses shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup: If you want to be safe buy a strap for them so in case they fly off they are still secure around your neck.

sassafras
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Like you, I am as blind as a bat--and I've always worn my glasses on the thrill rides. Only place my hubby ever lost his was on a water ride at TL and ever since I make him take his old glasses to wear to the water parks. So, I say leave 'em on and enjoy!!!!

GreenBeetle
07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Another blind as a bat person here - and I've never taken off my glasses for rides. The only problem we've ever had was when my husband took his sunglasses off on Dinosaur. They flew right out of his pocket never to be seen again!

dolphinmickey9170
07-11-2007, 08:47 PM
And yet another blind as a bat person here, I have never removed my glasses and have never lost them on a thrill ride, except at River Country....but that's another story for some other day!!

beksy
07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
I wear sunglasses on most coasters so my contacts don't dry out and have never lost a pair. So regular glasses shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup: If you want to be safe buy a strap for them so in case they fly off they are still secure around your neck.

That's a great suggestion! Thanks to all for all your help (where would I be without Intercot?)! :thumbsup: Now I can see the rides and lighten my load. :cloud9:

brogan54
07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
also blind as a bat have never taken them off on any of the rides or water parks. in the water parks if you are worried buy floaters little cords that if you glasses come off they will float not to be lost:mickey:

Speedy1998
07-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I have had glasses since I was 14. Uggh that was 17 years ago... Anyway, I never take them off for any thrill ride, at Disney or any other park. My suggestion is just make sure they are in good maintenance and actually fit you correctly. If they do fit correctly you should not have a problem.

(I even wear prescription sunglasses at the water parks, and have only come close to losing them once).

MsMin
07-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Last Dec. my sunglasses did fly off in BTMRR. They landed on the seat but I didn't notice until we were getting off, I thought they flew out.
Since they are my sunglasses and I wear contacts I don't worry about getting them scratched but many times I put them in the camera case and it's a soft fabric. What about a little fabric case or a lanyard?

LauraF
07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Blind as a bat? Heck, I have Coke bottle bottoms for lenses! :D

I've never taken off my glasses for a ride at WDW, not even ToT or RRC. It's important to make sure all the earpieces fit snugly, otherwise the old 'slip and slide' is quite likely on a ride.

On the rare occasion I do have to remove them (other places) I've got a very hard case for my glasses, which goes in the fanny pack. It's never been damaged, even when the contents of the pack itself got pretty badly squished.

berri_boo
07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Personally I would be afraid to wear my glasses...I'm even afraid to wear my sunglasses on the rides (which would be cheaper to replace). My DH is not at all a thrill ride person. I did get him on SM and he wore his glasses.....but what's funny is that he was so afraid of losing them that he kept his eyes shut the whole ride :rotfl::haha::funny:(I don't recommend doing this though!)

Yeah...I know I didn't get it either :shrug:

Darin M
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Another blind guy here. Theres this item made by croakies that are elastic and attach to my glasses. I keep it loose during the day and for the "thrill rides" I tighten them up a bit. They always work and you can order them in any color to match your glasses. Oh yeah, they are cheap!

January-2007
07-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I always take my glasses off. I have a small pull string WDW bag that I carry and I keep my glasses case in it. My vacation would be ruined if I lost or broke my glasses!

thrillme
07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I used to wear glasses. Most of the time I did contacts alas...sometimes I just could wear the contacts because of allergies or something. (Had Lasik a couple of years ago. Best investment ever :thumbsup:)...

I've traveled both ways. Leaving them on and taking them off. Haven't had much of a problem either way BUT...I would highly recommend two things. One...get a good strap and used this. You can pin the strap to your shirt for EXTRA security. That way you'd be able to enjoy all the scenery of the ride without risking the "remote" chance of fly off. That way should they fly off they'd still be connected. Good fitting glasses shouldn't fly off anymore than a hearing aid slipping out of an ear (yep. I've got one of those). My ex boyfriend wore his most of the time and never had a problem...NEVER NEVER NEVER put them in your pocket. Stuff in your pocket flys out or gets pretty crunched. Fanny packs are fine.

A second piece of advice is to always have a second pair of glasses with you OR your perscription. You don't have to carry them into the parks of course but should something happen you could just go back to the hotel and get them or to a nearby shop and have a new perscription made up. (at least in some cases).

ILoveLegos
07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I to am quite unable to see without my glasses, I have my optomitrist to fit my new glasses frames with Benjamin Franklin or to be more modern, "Harry Potter" style wrap around the ear pieces. With these I can stand on my head and my glasses will not fall off! I'm kinda active so it works for me and there are the most comfortable spectacles I've ever had on. Making the alteraction on regular glasses requires a care ful fit, but it is pretty easy to do. Some places make them for kids all the time. I wear my glasses every except when snorkling and then I wear my perscription snorkle mask. :thumbsup:

Lizzie
07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
My husband always wears his sunglasses on all rides and he has never lost them. Though it stresses me out everytime. He always breaks them in other ways and I think every time we go on vacation we spend half the trip with him looking for the perfect pair of sunglasses.

jszczur5
07-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I have prescription sunglasses that I wear right up until sundown. I have never had a problem with my glasses coming off at the 4 main parks, but two years ago, while in the wave pool at BB, a wave swept my sunglassses right off my face, and my husband had to find them, as I couldn't see a thing. Last year I bought one of those sport string attachments so that I wouldn't lose them again. Without showing that your eyeglasses are somehow firmly attached, the CM's make you remove them on some of the steeper water slides and on the water coaster at Blizzard Beach.
The string is also handy to just let your sunglasses dangle when you need to switch to clear lenses for some of the darker rides like HM, PoC, etc.

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
On another note.....my Dad lost his hearing aid on Rock n Roller Coaster...flew right out of his ear.:mickey:

grumpycajun
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm like everyone here in that I leave my glasses on for all rides and have never had a problem. Hats can be another story.

IDreamofEeyore
07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Until a few years ago I always removed my glasses and stuck them in a fanny pack for the thrill rides. (can't see a thing without them and so can't even risk losing or breaking them!) Then my husband came up with the idea of using a sunglass strap (inexpensive, yet durable from Academy, Walmart, Target...). The idea has worked great! Like another post said, I wear the strap loose until I'm going on a thrill ride, then I just tighten it up and I'm good to go (and can see!)!

Initially I had prescription sunglasses as well. Back then I had a strap for each pair of glasses and would just alternate them between wearing and hanging around my neck as I needed each. Now I've got transition lenses which turn darker in the sunlight. They are fabulous and so now I wear just one strap with one pair of glasses. And have no trouble (or worries) at all!

2Epcot
07-13-2007, 12:27 AM
I usually wear an older pair of glasses when I'm on the thrill rides, just as a percaution, but I've never lost a pair yet.

chrisb26
07-13-2007, 02:19 AM
I now wear contacts but I used to wear glasses and since I couldn't see with out them and wanted to watch the ride I was on I never took them off. I never had a problem with this. I have also worn my glasses on rides way more intense then any ride at WDW and have never had a problem.

If you don't want to wear them I know some rides have little things in front of the seat to put things but not many rides have this. you could maybe hold them. If you are carring a bag that would probably work also.

Olga
07-13-2007, 06:26 AM
I wear my glasses all time except Water Parks

dog-ears
07-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Wow, there are of us blind-as-a-bat :bat: people around here - and I'm with the group that has never taken off their glasses for a thrill ride.

For me, I think it would take a lot of the fun out of it if I couldn't see. I think if your glasses fit you well, you probably won't have any problem. But if you have some doubts, I think the suggestions about using croakies or straps would be a good idea.