PDA

View Full Version : Bag Checks at the Parks

handmaidenofprincesses
07-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I was just wondering, do they still have a bag check implemented at the front gate of each park? I'm assuming they do... does it take a long time? Would I be better off just stuffing cash, cell phone, tickets, etc in my pockets? We'll be getting there right when the parks open, so I doubt the line will be too long, but I'm also worried about when we park hop in the middle of the day.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-11-2007, 07:41 PM
They were still there our last trip, last September.

They are really no big deal time wise. The lines, even though long, move very fast.
Especially once people realize that if they have their bag open and ready to go it makes the Security Officer's jobs go much easier.

I take my camera bag out of the backpack I bring and have that open in one hand with the backpack open in the other. If it is a large bag, I separate things into large ziploc bags (sunscreen in one, wipes for hands, etc, in another) and just take them out and show them to whoever is checking while they look through the backpack. I have gotten many Thank you's for that. ;)

I would love to not carry a bag but, with three kids that won't work. The bag check is no biggie for me at all.

cubbie
07-11-2007, 08:13 PM
They still do have the bag checks. If you don't need a bag, I would suggest not bringing one, since it is always nice to skip the line. If you like the convenience of the bag, then make sure that you have all the zippers open and are ready to go. Also, when choosing a line, you might want to glance at what kind of bags are in front of you. Bags with lots of zippers could take a little more time. However, as was said before, these lines really aren't that big of a deal, and they will probably be the shortest line you'll deal with that day.

mainemajor
07-11-2007, 08:21 PM
The lines are usually not that bad. Like was said before, look ahead of you to see how many bags and stuff people have and choose a line accordingly

mickeys_princess_mom
07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
They were still there our last trip, last September.

They are really no big deal time wise. The lines, even though long, move very fast.
Especially once people realize that if they have their bag open and ready to go it makes the Security Officer's jobs go much easier.

I take my camera bag out of the backpack I bring and have that open in one hand with the backpack open in the other. If it is a large bag, I separate things into large ziploc bags (sunscreen in one, wipes for hands, etc, in another) and just take them out and show them to whoever is checking while they look through the backpack. I have gotten many Thank you's for that. ;)

I would love to not carry a bag but, with three kids that won't work. The bag check is no biggie for me at all.
No big deal at all. Hardly takes a minute. They do seem to appreciate when you undo all the zippers and have it ready to go. Makes it go very fast!:wave: :cop:

LoriMistress
07-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Have your bag/purse opened beforehand. To make things a bit easier put loose items in a huge ziplock bag.

tarjaybuff
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
We went in Sept 2006 and Feb 2007

It only took a few minutes to get through the baggage check. IF everyone has bags ready and all zippers open it goes even quicker.

:mickey:There is also a no wait line to just walk through if you have no bags.

JPL
07-11-2007, 11:41 PM
The bag check does move rather quickly :thumbsup: Unless of course you get the person with bag of a thousand zippers and compartments ;)

January-2007
07-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Keep in mind that even a camera case attached to a belt is considered a "bag" and has to be opened. I think it's all a waste of time and I don't like it, but these are the times we live in.

Lizzie
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Its really no big deal. Just as everyone else said just have everything open and it moves very quickly.

Belle619
07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
They really move the line along rather quickly. As the others have stated have everything open - and if you are like me and usually bring a light jacket or rain poncho - remove those so that they can see to the bottom of the bag more easily.

I carry way too much with me and I was only stopped about 15-20 seconds at most for the actual check.

dog-ears
07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
The lines go fairly quickly. And remember, lines on the left are usually shorter!

Amusing story - one year I had to bring quite a few, well, let's just call them "female personal products" with me. Most of the time, I unzipped the purse, they were just looked at and I was waved through. One time at MK we got an older man doing the search. He looked, patted my arm, looked me sympathetically in the eyes and said "You have a nice day, dear!" This cracked me up for half an hour!

dolphinmickey9170
07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
We were there in May and they were still checking bags. Everyone has hit it right on the mark with the "have your bag unzipped and ready for inspection" comments. This does make the line move quicker. If you aren't ready when you approach, the security person will just keep looking through everyone else's bags on the other side, so be ready. We had three bags this time because we took our DGD1 and had lots of stuff for her. You can never be too prepared with an infant. Anyway, security always thanked me because my bags were all unzipped and ready, they looked quick, said thank you and have a nice day.

countrycharmer
07-15-2007, 08:21 AM
They are still there. It is really no big deal anymore...just be prepared; i.e., we usually put things into large ziploc bags so that it is easier to use and see.

This is easier for me, also, because I have toiletries in one, sun lotions in another, dry clothes (if needed) etc.

This never bothers me, after two kids, it is almost a give-in!!

My motto, "Always prepared for the unexpected"!

Also, sometimes we use our "clear" backpack and the people checking bags LOVE that!!

snifflesmcg
07-15-2007, 08:27 AM
I was just wondering, do they still have a bag check implemented at the front gate of each park? I'm assuming they do... does it take a long time? Would I be better off just stuffing cash, cell phone, tickets, etc in my pockets? We'll be getting there right when the parks open, so I doubt the line will be too long, but I'm also worried about when we park hop in the middle of the day.

The line is quick, only takes a few minutes. But, I hate waiting in lines (I do enough of that IN the park) so I just stuff everything into my pocket. This year what I told my BF we are going to do is, stuff the pockets and fold up a cloth bag (the one he got in Japan last year) and we'll stuff the things from our pockets in the bag after we get into the park.