PDA

View Full Version : DDP - 9 yo as adult?

yasmina
07-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I know that Disney considers 10 yo & up as adults both for park tickets and DDP. That's fine, you have to have the cut-off somewhere. Kids are just so weird sometimes. :confused: Our 9 yo is quite an adventurous eater, and would do very well ordering from the adult menu.

Our 11 yo, OTOH, is an incredibly picky eater and would prefer eating from the kids menu. However, she has become better and will likely start ordering from the adult menu.

I would be happy to pay the extra $ for our 9 yo to be an "adult" on the DDP. Is it possible to put her on the plan as an adult?.

TIA!

Niecyboo
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I understand where you are coming from. On a previous trip, I had a 9 year old and a 12 year old who both preferred "adult" food. We ended up keeping them at their own age, then having them split the child's meal and the adult meal. That way they had comfortable kid's choices and adventurous adult ones. We looked at the menus at info. central ahead of time, and made sure it was very clear before we went. I know this won't work with all kids, but it was perfect for us. Family style and buffet meals also worked very well.

BelleBeauty
07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
I believe if you wanted to "upgrade" your tickets so to speak, including an extra adult that would be fine. No one is going to question you spending extra money! What Niceyboo suggested would also be a good option if it would work with your kids. DDP for adults is usually a lot of food - app, entree and dessert - so it is more than enough for most adults to share and definitely enough for kids, especially when you add in another children's meal.

DISNEYFIX
07-11-2007, 02:23 PM
When you get your tickets and DDP tell them he is ten. No problem they will be happy to take your money.
Chris

SBETigg
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but they won't just let you pay for him on DDP as an adult, since it is tied to your package. You will also be paying an adult rate for his tickets and room stay then, no? Maybe not. But I would check what you'll be paying first. It may be worth it, may not. It may end up costing more than you expect.

DISNEYFIX
07-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but they won't just let you pay for him on DDP as an adult, since it is tied to your package. You will also be paying an adult rate for his tickets and room stay then, no? Maybe not. But I would check what you'll be paying first. It may be worth it, may not. It may end up costing more than you expect.

In for a penny in for a pound.

DizneyRox
07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, in order to get the Adult DDP you'll need to get Adult tickets, and possibly hit extra charges for the room as well.

But that's the price you need to pay if you don't like the Child DDP options. That or don't opt for the DDP at all.

There are alternatives and ways to work the system. You just need to figure out if it's worth it or not.

Hammer
07-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes, in order to get the Adult DDP you'll need to get Adult tickets, and possibly hit extra charges for the room as well.

But that's the price you need to pay if you don't like the Child DDP options. That or don't opt for the DDP at all.

There are alternatives and ways to work the system. You just need to figure out if it's worth it or not.

Actually, while the poster would need to pay for an adult ticket for the child, there shouldn't be any additional room charge. Children up until age 17 stay free in the room

jax86
07-11-2007, 09:28 PM
i had the opposite problem. my older children were charged for the adult meals and ate off the kids menu most of the time. we were better off with buffets. but the plan was worth it for us!

vamaggie
07-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I would not "up-age" your 9 yr old to an adult since as it was posted that would also cost you for adult park tickets. Like Niecyboo did, your kids could either split a childs and adult meal or maybe switch off (you take the adult meal this time, I'll do a childs) with your 9 yr old and someone else in the party. There is so much food on the DDP that I would think you would be fine. I know a lot of folks even split meals and only use 1 adult credit for 2 adults to eat.

Mickey'sGirl
07-12-2007, 01:40 PM
We only had the dining plan once, when our oldest was 7 -- We ended up pooling our meals so that everyone got what they wanted (including our youngest who was not old enough to purchase the Dining plan for...) It was a great compromise and we all ate pretty well! :mickey: