PDA

View Full Version : dtd for teens

mercedes
07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
we will be heading to disney in 12 days. :mickey:just wondering if it is safe for 2 teen girls to walk around dtd by themself. is there enough to keep them amused for acouple of hours.is there a "teen" club for them to go to.
thanks

SurferStitch
07-10-2007, 11:22 PM
How "teen" are they? Are we talking 14 or 18?

And, do you mean DTD or Pleasure Island in particular?

There are no teen clubs at DTD for them to hang out in. There is Disney Quest on the West Side which is pretty cool for teens, but it's not a club...just an indoor interactive theme park. Also, the Marketplace has a lot of great shops and places to eat dinner or grab dessert. I can kill hours there shopping.

Night time at PI is not meant to be a teen gathering/hangout (even though they do, and some can be quite obnoxious at times). There can be a lot of drunk and rowdy people in the later evening, including men. The clubs serve alcohol, and the later it gets, the more alcohol is consumed, and the less you may want two teenage girls there. If they go in the early evening and get out by around 8:00 pm, they should be okay. After that, they should head to the Marketplace.

They won't be allowed into the dance clubs (must be 21+), and if under 18, won't be allowed in any other clubs (AC, Comedy Warehouse) without an adult present.

snifflesmcg
07-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I stated already, Downtown Disney is actually a few parts. If you are talking about the shopping aspect, yes, there is alot of shopping and cool things to see. They have giant things made out of Legos. I don't know what the ages are but I think they'd be ok to walk around until 9ish when Pleasure Island becomes full swing. I think the shops close around 10 anyway. Earlier in the day would probably be best.

If you are talking about Pleasure Island, you are kinda out of luck. They don't allow anyone under the age of 18 to go into the clubs without an adult. There is alot of alcohol and it's not the best place for teens. It's not meant for teens, it's meant for adults.

x Kris x
07-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Both my GF and I have been walking around DTD ourselves for the past three years. The first year we were only 17 and a half or so years old. If they are there early, there is plenty for them to do. I never went to DisneyQuest until last year, but it was incredible if they are quite "nerdy" and love arcades as much as we do. The shopping around there is marvelous as well, such as the Virgin Megastore which is my favourite shop on earth!

However, not to say that it gets worse, but the place does turn into a bit of a madhouse once it gets near midnight. Its not dangerous or anything, but they would have nowhere to go, because the only things left at night are drinking places. We are going again this year, and we will both be 21 now (finally US drinking age, but we can drink over here) so we can enter the clubs. But if they are not, they will just be alone with nothing to do.

So basically, its not dangerous, but they need to get there early for them to have anything to do!

countrycharmer
07-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't think that it is the wisest idea to let them go to DTD without an adult. Things get rowdy and who knows what adult may have had too much "Spirit" and give them unwanted attention, if you know what I mean.

That being said, if you were to go with them and be in "the area" then maybe it would be fine.

I would never take chances!

TheRustyScupper
07-15-2007, 06:17 PM
1) Unfortunately, WDW is not good for unaccompanied teens.
2) But, in Downtown Disney, give them a few bucks and
. . . send them to Virgin Records
. . . let them play at Disney Quest
. . . allow them to shop at Marketplace

LoriMistress
07-15-2007, 07:16 PM
I think it depends on the teenager. If you can trust your kids to be unattended for a few hours without getting in trouble or without being a complete jerk than there will be no issue. I would purchase tickets for them to experience DQ and they'll have fun playing video games and playing some virtual reality rides. They'll go into some shops...or they might (probably not) won't be interested in Cirque du Soleil. Though, DTD also has a movie theatre so in case if they want to see a movie (that's not Disney), and I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it.