PDA

View Full Version : Probably silly DDE question - okay, several questions

TennesseeTink
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I had never heard of the Disney Dining Experience until I was investigating the Annual Pass and saw that AP holders get a discount on the DDE. This may be a silly question but do AP holders pay $65 per year for DDE or is it a one time thing. Also, for AP holders, is it still $25 to add a spouse to DDE as it is for Florida residents? My spouse will not have an AP, just me.

Do you find it worth it to purchase the DDE? I'll be at WDW for a week in Oct and again for a week in April 2008.

Thanks fellow Intercotees!!!:rocks:

TennesseeTink
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh and one more thing...I'm going to purchase my AP in either August or September but I'm assuming it won't be activated until I get there in October. Would I still get the AP discount for DDE or does it have to be already activated?

Thanks everyone!:thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
07-10-2007, 04:26 PM
This may be a silly question but do AP holders pay $65 per year for DDE or is it a one time thing. Also, for AP holders, is it still $25 to add a spouse to DDE as it is for Florida residents?
It's an annual fee of $65.
I think - and I may be a bit rusty on this - but I do believe we paid $10 for the additional card - and NO, DW does not have to have the AP.

Do you find it worth it to purchase the DDE? I'll be at WDW for a week in Oct and again for a week in April 2008.
For us? It is totally worth it!!!
Depending on your dining habits, you could save money after one or two meals. Keep in mind, alcohol is included with the discount! :cheers: :eat: People are always amazed that I can get 20% off pints at the R&C pub!
If you eat at V&A's for example, the DDE is paid for when you leave the restaurant. It is truly a great, great bargain!

Oh and one more thing...I'm going to purchase my AP in either August or September but I'm assuming it won't be activated until I get there in October. Would I still get the AP discount for DDE or does it have to be already activated?
You can order the DDE when you activate your AP while in WDW - let me explain.
When you activate your AP, you can then call the DDE number and order the DDE. Explain that you're in WDW and need it immediately. Within a few hours, you can pick up a temporary card at EPCOT's Guest Services (close to their Monorail station outside the main gate). This is the ONLY place you can pick up the card in WDW.

I believe with an AP voucher, you could order it earlier - but to me it wouldn't make sense to. Get as many days out of it as possible! :thumbsup:

January-2007
07-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I had never heard of the Disney Dining Experience until I was investigating the Annual Pass and saw that AP holders get a discount on the DDE. This may be a silly question but do AP holders pay $65 per year for DDE or is it a one time thing.

It's good for one year. You don't just pay it once and have it forever.

Also, for AP holders, is it still $25 to add a spouse to DDE as it is for Florida residents? My spouse will not have an AP, just me.

In order to use the DDE you have to be an AP holder, so if your DH did not have an AP of his own, he could not have a DDE card either. You would have to be the one to have it if you were the only one with an AP.

I think we would have saved a lot of money had we purchased the DDE but we took our first trip spur of the moment and subsequent trips without extra money to put forward on it (paying for a wedding and all) but in the future we plan on purchasing it and I know others rave about it.

I believe the date in which the DDE in purchased is the starting date. It isn't like an AP where you buy the voucher and the clock doesn't start ticking until you activate it, it starts right away. If you purchase the DDE in August it will expire a year from August, not a year from October when you use it.

Here (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp) is some more information from Info Central that should help you. Happy planning!! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
07-10-2007, 09:14 PM
In order to use the DDE you have to be an AP holder, so if your DH did not have an AP of his own, he could not have a DDE card either. You would have to be the one to have it if you were the only one with an AP.
You can get a second card for a family member/spouse - that person does not have to be an AP holder. Last I knew, the second card cost $10. Both people do NOT have to be AP holders.

I believe the date in which the DDE in purchased is the starting date. It isn't like an AP where you buy the voucher and the clock doesn't start ticking until you activate it, it starts right away. If you purchase the DDE in August it will expire a year from August, not a year from October when you use it.
The DDE takes a few weeks to get to you from when you order it. Therefore Disney gives you an extra month or so on the DDE. You can get a temporary card if you're in WDW before your card arrives at home (see above). But it's good for 13-14 months depending on how busy they are getting the cards mailed out.

Kris
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I also have a question about DDE and timing. If I have an AP voucher that I plan to activate in Oct and order DDE now it sounds like DDE starts now and would expire in Aug. If I activate the AP in Oct could I just buy another year of DDE in Aug 08 and use it until 2009 even though I am not planning on renewing my AP which would expire Oct 2009. In other words do I have to show my valid AP when I use the DDE?

Maleficent's Dad
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
In other words do I have to show my valid AP when I use the DDE?
No, you do not have to show a valid AP when using the DDE. You may be asked for ID to prove that you are the person whose name is on the DDE, but not your pass.

Both AP holders and FL residents are eligible for the DDE.

I've never been asked for ID, but have read that others have, at times, been asked to produce it.

KylesMom
07-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I just received a new DDE membership pamphlet in the mail the other day, since ours expires the end of July. We are A/P holders and have saved at least $500 over the course of our last two trips with it. We've been members since the card became available a few years ago.:thumbsup: It is really a superior program, especially if you tend to have a few alcoholic beverages with your TS meals.

Pricing on the new brochure is as follows:
General Membership (FLA Resident) $85
Cast Member: $80
Annual/Seasonal Passholder: $65
FLA Resident Only (non Passholder) Renewal $70
Secondary Membership $25.00

I believe they raised the rate for the secondary membership from $10 to $25 in February of 2007. I also don't remember seeing an option of availability for CMs before.

TennesseeTink
07-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks so much everyone... You are most helpful...:thumbsup:

I'm definitely going to invest in the DDE!

:rocks: