PDA

View Full Version : How much for a pearl at EPCOT?

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
07-10-2007, 08:56 AM
My daughter would like to pick an oyster at the department store in Japan at EPCOT and get a pearl as her "special treat" this year. Has anyone done this recently? Can you tell me how much it costs to do this? I think there is one price to pick the pearl and then you have the option to make it into a piece of jewelry for additional cost, is that correct? Thanks in advance! Only 13 more days!!!

faline
07-10-2007, 09:02 AM
My daughter did this a few years ago at Downtown Disney. The pearl wasn't very expensive but, by time she had it fashioned into a necklace, I believe it was over $100. It is a lovely piece of jewelry and I've seen her wear it often.

avantgardeinker
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I wish I had more definite info for you. I just didn't want the "over $100" to scare you off. I think it depends on what you have it made into. For instance the sterling silver would cost less than the gold setting... A ring might cost more than a necklace...etc... I'm going to do it this year and I'm going to try and make the setting fit into my budget. Or I might just take the pearl and see if I can get a less expensive setting at home.

149 more days!!
:mickey:

mickeysworld
07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
It's around $15 ($14.95 I think) for the pearl and depending on what you get it set in (if anything at all, my DD is saving hers!) that can range from about $30 (a sterling silver pendant and small silver chain, for example) and up. Have a great time!

beksy
07-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I thought that this was a neat idea. My Mom loves pearl jewelry but doesn't have any so I was thinking about doing something like this for her when we go (something she likes plus a reminder everytime she wears it! :thumbsup:). Thanks for the info! :mickey:

disneymom15
07-10-2007, 09:44 AM
My daughter does this every time we go. I don't know the exact price, about $14.00. The cost to set the pearl (if you want) depends on what you pick. Daughter did a sterling ring for about $25.00.

MsMin
07-10-2007, 10:10 AM
We did it last Dec. and it was fun. We didn't have them set b/c nothing really thrilled us at the time. I'm thinking about having them drilled and getting a pearl each visit and adding to it! I got twins last Dec.

SBETigg
07-10-2007, 10:26 AM
You may want to check the rehab section at Info Central if you're leaving in 13 days. I believe the shopping sections of Japan are closed along with the Teppanyaki rehab until August 20, but I could be wrong.

kaliepooh
07-10-2007, 10:47 AM
If they are closed during my stay I'm going to be soooo disappointed. My plan was to purchase a pearl and necklace for my dm, dd and myself. I arrive at the world on August 13 until the 24. Hopefully if they are closed they will reopen on schedule and allow me the oppurtunity to get my goods!!!

DisneyAggies
07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Kaliepooh--I know they have a pearl place at Downtown Disney too, so all is not lost. I believe they used to have one at Caribbean Beach too--but it's been a while since I've been back there. They probably have more on property too!
Good luck!

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
You may want to check the rehab section at Info Central if you're leaving in 13 days. I believe the shopping sections of Japan are closed along with the Teppanyaki rehab until August 20, but I could be wrong.

Oh no! :cry: I hope not! I thought only the restaurants were going to be closed. Can anyone verify if the store will be open or not? I checked out the rehab section of Intercot and only the restaurants are listed.

TIGGERSDOBOUNCE
07-10-2007, 09:37 PM
:mickey: When we, my DW, DD, and DS were in Japan, this past June 2007 my DD picked a pearl...it was $15.00 to pick the pearl itself...just a point, if I may, if this is your first time may I suggest standing back and waiting for just the right moment...the pick a pearl can get quite crowded...relax, be patient it will be well worth the wait. Now when the crowd dies down...go over to the counter and enjoy yourself...take the time to take in the excitement...the cast members there do truely make a big deal about each and every pearl that is picked...and I remember the look in my DD's eyes as they showed her the pearl she picked...as if it were the most beautiful pearl ever seen...typical Disney spirit if you ask me!
Just as an example my DD was just telling me that the necklace, sterling, that she had her pearl set in was $47.00...it's like anything...you can get crazy or just pick something simple.

FUN FUN :tigger: FUN

tinksmom02
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM
I had told DD4 about the pick a pearl counter in Epcot, and promised her she could make one there. LOL We had to bypass the pick a pearl in DTD (BTW, I can't say for sure but they seemed slightly more expensive than in Epcot) AND Sea World, because I really wanted her to do it at Epcot!

I'm glad we waited, though, they made a big fuss over the pearl she picked--it was a nice size, and yellowish. We picked the cheapest sterling silver pendant setting, and the cheapest necklace (hey, she's only 4!), and I think it cost, start to finish, $40. Which isn't bad, and the necklace is actually quite pretty-I've borrowed it a few times, and DD's already told me she;s going to pick a pearl for me in Sept so we can have matching necklaces! LOL

snifflesmcg
07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Just a warning out there. I got a beautiful pearl on our last trip in September. My boyfriend promised to get it set once we got home. He was going to take it to "his" jeweler. "His" jeweler didn't want to touch it. Needless to say, it's in my jewelry box in the bag it came in. Make sure you get them set there!

DisneyPrincess17
07-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Last year i did the same thing. I dont remember how much it cost but i mean it wasn't too bad. When i picked the oyster it had a really nice pearl in it so i decided get it made into a necklace. I loved my new necklace and i loved telling everyone that i picked out the oyster that was holding this peal. About a week after i had come home I realized my pearl had fallen off of the necklace. We looked for it for a few days and we eventually found it :mickey:. the point is it shouldnt have fallen off like that! When we went back for Febuary vaca. I went back to the Japaniese store to tell them what had happend and they put my pearl back on my necklace. i was kind of dissapointed that it had fallen off but all in all i think it was really fun. If your DD wants to do that for her "special treat" this year i think you should let her. It's a lot of fun!:mickey: