PDA

View Full Version : Ladies with young daughters/ need your opinion

hnybear22
07-10-2007, 01:55 AM
OK ladies,
tell me how you handle bathroom visits with your daughters while at Disney.

Do you stand outside the door while they are inside and then change places with them ( and risk the wrath of a woman who thinks you are breaking in line) ,do you both go in at once, or do you tell them to wait by the door for you?

I have a fear of losing DD in some of the larger bathrooms that can be confusing to navigate while crowded- and there is always the chance we will miss each other if we don't stay together.
Tell me how ya"ll handle this!
thanks

Christine
07-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Do you stand outside the door while they are inside and then change places with them

That's what we do.

kakn7294
07-10-2007, 03:08 AM
When they were younger, I used to make DDs go into the same stall as me. Now that they are 12 and 7, they want some independence and privacy (not that I get any at home!) and go in by themselves with strict instructions that they are not to leave the restroom without me. The 12 yo can be trusted but I still worry about the 7 yo taking off.

Dsnygirl
07-10-2007, 03:49 AM
My DD6 and I share a bathroom next to my DD9, who knows to stand directly outside our door when she is done so I can see her feet. :blush: This seems to work quite well, as she likes the little bit of "freedom", and the three of us aren't all trying to fit in a tiny stall... :thumbsup:

playdead88
07-10-2007, 06:13 AM
my dd is 6 - she'll be 7 when we go next time - right now we go in the stall together but i think the plan to share the same stall by taking turns is a good idea - those bathrooms can get crowded quick

SBETigg
07-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Meeting at the sinks to wash hands always worked for us when DD was a little younger. If there were multiple sink areas, we would just designate the meet-up sink. She has always liked her privacy, so waiting to switch off same stall never worked for us. Now she's older and we just meet up outside.

DisnIse
07-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I always had my kids stand outside the door, but I made them sing to me when they were little. (I could usually zip up before the end of the ABCs). Now, I just talk to them and ask questions.

The worst problem is that my three kids are boys who no longer want to come with me to the bathroom. Sending them to the boys' bathroom all by themselves is terrifying!

Kenny1113
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I usually stay in the same stall as my kids. Especially my DS3. I'm too scared for them to be alone in the bathroom.

Sending them to the boys' bathroom all by themselves is terrifying!
How old are your boys??? How has it gone for you? What do you do to ease your fears? Any tips would be great. The last couple of trips I have taken my DS6 (5 then) has been very upset about going in the girls bathroom. When I go wihtout my hubby, I am sooo afraid to send him by himself to the bathroom. I was able to do it on the cruise b/c the bathrooms by the ppol are so tiny I could stand right there.

biodtl
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I always make my daughter (and my son when he was younger) either go in the stall next to me (if it wasn't crowded and we could manage it) and they would have to stay in the stall until I was done, too. Otherwise, we either go in one stall or they have to stand outside mine so I can see their feet and we keep talking.

My next bathroom worry is that on my next trip, we won't have other women with us like we did last time and if we split and DD has to go when she's with DH what do you do. I can't recall if WDW has any family bathrooms, since I didn't need them last time around.

Squeaky Mouse
07-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Dd is only 4, so she still goes in the stall with me. Unlike my boys who would stick close to mama when they were little (although not in the restrooms after age 3), she would wander off in a heartbeat. She has no fear, which really worries me!

kakn7294
07-10-2007, 09:12 AM
If this is helpful for some, there are a few companion restrooms around each park. Each First Aid station has one and others are located here:

Magic Kingdom:
Lower level of CRT
PotC
Splash Mtn
Space Mtn
Mickey's Toontown Fair

Epcot:
On either side of SE
Innoventions opposite the Land and opposite Test Track
Refreshment Port
Morocco
Germany
Norway

MGM:
near Star Tours
on Mickey Avenue
at RnRC
near ToT
In Fantasmic
near LMA theater

Animal Kingdom:
Discovery Island near Dinoland entrance
Harambe in the market
Chester and Hester's near store
before Maharajah Jungle Trek entrance
on Maharajah Jungle Trek near the bats
Conservation Station

KAT1811
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
My DD6 and I share a bathroom next to my DD9, who knows to stand directly outside our door when she is done so I can see her feet. :blush: This seems to work quite well, as she likes the little bit of "freedom", and the three of us aren't all trying to fit in a tiny stall... :thumbsup:

:ditto:

r4kids
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I have 3 DD's and 1 DS9, when we go, DD 4 will go in with me and DD12 and DD6 will go in together. DS will go with DH. I am very worried about losing one of the girls. The only time DS has had to go in to the ladies room with me was when he was little and once he became old enough to go in by himself I would stand at the door way of the men's room ( lovely looks I got) and then I would just call his name every couple of mintues.I have only had to this a few times as DH is usually with us. I don't care how odd I looked, if it means keeping him safe then so be it. :thumbsup:

Lizzie
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I think these are all great suggestions. You should do what you are comfortable with and not worry if people think you are cutting. I think most people would understand.

LuckyMum22
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
When my DD was young we'd play a game about being able to see each others shoes from under the door. It made her feel safe that she could see my shoes outside the stall while she took care of things as a "big girl". As she grew older it seems like a habit to stay close to each other. I think she is a little fearful even as a tween now. She always claims she is watching the stall door for me when I go in and she is waiting "because the latches aren't dependable!" :blush:

biodtl
07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
If this is helpful for some, there are a few companion restrooms around each park. Each First Aid station has one and others are located here:

Thanks, Kathy - that IS helpful! I'll be needing that info next fall.

yasmina
07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Since they were abut 6 yo had strict rules about this. I told them to stand by the sinks when they were done (out of the way of others needing to use them, of course). This encouraged them to use the sinks, and if they forgot, I always reminded them.

Now that they are older - 9 & 11 - that is the standard rule. It is really nice to be able to go in a stall myself. I'll never forget, about 2 years ago, my DH said, when he came out of the men's room, wow, that was fast! I told him it was faster because we no longer share one toilet!

Olga
07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
My DD5 and I share a bathroom

little disney lovers
07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
My DD4 and DD6 all share a stall together. Yes, It's squishy sometimes but I just feel safer having them with me, except when they open the door mid-stream! We now have the toilet etiquette under control, I definately keep them with me.
Depends how old your kids are.:confused:

momef3grls
07-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I have 3 daughters so when they were little we kind of made a game of it. Older 2 would go in one stall and I would take the little one. We always did let me see your feet so I knew exactly where they were. While I was tending to the youngest the older 2 would play a game as to how long it would take. Worked really well..we still kid about it today and still sometimes use it when it is really crowded and we don't want to separate (the girls are 16,15 and 13 now).

magicofdisney
07-11-2007, 11:55 AM
My DDs were 4 when they first went to Disney. Back then I'd wait outside their door (after first wiping down their toilet seat) then they'd wait outside mine. My son was 5 or 6 when he first rejected going to the women's restroom. Our compromise was that I'd stand outside the men's room and holler his name every few moments, just like a previous poster mentioned. I couldn't care less what ppl thought although I'm sure most understood. And if the men's restroom had a door on it, I'd just open it and holler. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
1) I don't care so much about mothers/daughters.
2) I am concerned about mothers/sons.
3) Ladies, give the kids a break.
4) Let them go by themselves.
5) Nothing more embarrassing than Moms.

NOTE: I was in the restroom next to Morocco one afternoon. Evidently the little boy, maybe 6 or 7, was taking too long. All of a sudden we hear, "Billy, are you OK?" being yelled from outside the door. The poor boy was turning red with embarrassment. So, the next thing we hear is him yelling back to her, "Please Mom, I'm with the guys!". I don't know any of us who did laugh hard.

magicofdisney
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
1) I don't care so much about mothers/daughters.
2) I am concerned about mothers/sons.
3) Ladies, give the kids a break.
4) Let them go by themselves.
5) Nothing more embarrassing than Moms.

NOTE: I was in the restroom next to Morocco one afternoon. Evidently the little boy, maybe 6 or 7, was taking too long. All of a sudden we hear, "Billy, are you OK?" being yelled from outside the door. The poor boy was turning red with embarrassment. So, the next thing we hear is him yelling back to her, "Please Mom, I'm with the guys!". I don't know any of us who did laugh hard.
:blush: As funny as that is, safety trumps embarrassment any day of the week. BTW (and this may be a given) this was ONLY necessary when Dad wasn't around.

Mickey91
07-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Our DD(9) started to go into a stall by herself when she was 7. She knows to go in, do her business and if she is done before me, she stands outside my stall so I can see her feet until I come out. As she is getting older, I am getting a little more lax, but I still like to know she is safe. If there is only one stall open, I stand outside of hers and then we switch. I have never encountered anyone thinking I have cut in line as this seems to be standard practice at WDW.