PDA

View Full Version : Pulling kids out of school for Disney trip?

Disdad13
07-09-2007, 11:44 AM
What are your thoughts on pulling your kids out of school for a Disney trip? We have a DS5 that we will be pulling out of kindergarten this September for 8 days. We pulled him out of pre-K last September for a week as well. (We like that time of year due to the smaller crowds - and free dining!) We kind of justify it by the fact that it is only kindergarten, and he seems to be at or beyond where he should be as far as his academic "skills". But as he gets older, I wonder how hard it will be for him to make up that lost time. What are your thoughts, experiences with pulling kids out of school?

PeterPanFan
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
We do it every year! My thoughts are its fine. It does not really matter how ahead or behind you may feel your child is. Lets face it we all think our kids are great.

We let our kids know these simple rules.

1) We dont goof off at school weeks leading up to the trip. (We really dont allow them to goof off anyways! ;))

2) We dont talk about the trip in school before or after during class time.

3) We do all home work.

This seems to work for our 3 disney daughters

Good luck and have fun. Remember quality family time is key in a childs life. Live, love and laugh during your trip!

gwfx1031
07-09-2007, 11:54 AM
We and many of our friends have done it several times for our kids. We personally have no problem with it at all. The teachers have been happy to help us getting assignments ahead of time.

wedway76
07-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I really wouldn’t worry too much about kindergarten. While he was in Elementary school we often extend our DS’s Thanksgiving holiday, leaving the Saturday before Thanksgiving and returning the Tuesday after. We’re in WDW for 10 days and he misses 4.5 days of school. As gwfx1031 said, the teachers are USUALLY very understanding.

He starts High School in September and I think from now on we’re going to take summer trips.

GoofysGirl
07-09-2007, 12:04 PM
We took DS out of school for 1 week in kindergarten & 2nd grade. This year, he will be in 5th grade, DD in 2nd grade & our youngest in pre-k. On the 1st trip, DS was doing well in kindergarten, so his teacher only made him promise to read a book each day. In 2nd grade, he got his work before we left and did it while we were gone (just a little each day) and his teacher made him bring back a photo album with pictures he had taken & tell the class about each picture - probably the best homework he has ever had! We are going Dec 15-21 this year, so the kids will only miss 1.5 days of school - they will be getting out for Christmas break. I think we will have to plan it this way from now on since he will be in middle school next year. You will be fine since it's only kindergarten. Let your little take their own disposable camera & take back a photo album to share. Their class will love it!!! Have fun!

Lizzie
07-09-2007, 12:04 PM
The important thing is to communicate with your kids teachers.

Speedy1998
07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
My wife is a teacher, and this is how we both feel about it.

Elemetry School, No big deal.

Middle School, If it is only a day or two it is not a big deal.

High School, Bad idea, at this point you would be messing with your child's future.

Deesdisney
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I have done it alot due to the fact that my husbands job only gets dec. to take vacation at this point. The teachers are ok with it if my kids are doing great in there subjects. So this has been there reward for doing good in school. However my son is in High School and he has refused to take vacation with us during school. Which is fine. I know alot of people that refuse to take there kids out of school for vacation but I do not do WDW in the summer or on holidays. So the only other way we could do our family vacation is to take them out of school.

IrishMickey
07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
My DH was always against taking kids out of school, of course now that we have kids, he is like a few days missed at school is no big deal. Several of my daughters classmates took trips to WDW last year. We are planning on a trip next Spring. They are only little once and you need to enjoy it while you can. Have fun and no worries. :mickey:

carribeanpirate5
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Personally, I would not take my child out of school for a vacation. In our area, kids are off all summer (June-early September) so that leaves 12 weeks to find a suitable time for a vacation. While I agree that quality time with parents and kids is important, there is plenty of time during the year when school is not affected. Bonding time is not a good reason to take a child out of school for a Disney trip.

countrycharmer
07-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I am not only a teacher but a parent and I say that as long as contact between family and school staff ensues prior to trip then why not...kids are getting educated through their trips....money, music & art, cultural - social studies, etc., etc. Just they are using Disney as the classroom.

I prepare for my students, and request for my children, work packets at request of parents of work that will be covered during absences. Also, I ask the children to keep a journal of trip and try to write daily.

For us, it is the time of year that works best for my husband to take time off of work, and we always bring educational items for plane, down time, etc.

Go and enjoy...before you know it they will be grown up and you will never get this time back!!

Jasper
07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
I have to ditto the positive comments that have already been made. I really can't see a huge harm to a child that age who is well adjusted and does well in school anyway. As long as you are up front about it with the teacher(s) involved and there are no school rules that you might be violating.

We have done this in the past and never saw any problems as a result. Granted, we didn't do this once they were past about third grade or so because the homework catchup was just so overwhelming by about that grade in school.

Mickey91
07-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Personally, I would not take my child out of school for a vacation. In our area, kids are off all summer (June-early September) so that leaves 12 weeks to find a suitable time for a vacation. While I agree that quality time with parents and kids is important, there is plenty of time during the year when school is not affected. Bonding time is not a good reason to take a child out of school for a Disney trip.

In some jobs, as is my DH's case, summer and holiday vacation is not available except to a small few. This being said, it is necessary, if our children are to have a vacation away from home, to go during school time. For right now, it isn't a problem as we are currently homeschooling. Starting next year, our oldest will have to miss some high school if we are to go any where as a family. Honestly, I feel family is the most important part of a child's life. School is not so important that missing a week or so will hurt them. Our society has become too controlling in the area of education. I agree it is important for every child to have an oppotunity to learn. But, I believe it is my right as a parent to decide if my child can go on vacation and miss a week or two. And, if that child is an 'A' student, there should not be consequences. Travel and new experiences are vital to the cultural upbringing of children today. They can learn more through experience than by sitting in a hohum desk all day. I'll get off my :soapbox: now.

Take the kids and have a wonderful time! They will learn alot and have fun too!!!!:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
We have taken our kids out of school each year since Nursery school.
They will be missing 6 days this September. I already told their teachers on Moving Up day when we met them and will get whatever work they want us to do before we leave.

This is probably the last year we will be taking them out for 6 days since my oldest is going into 5th this year and we do not feel like taking him out that long in Jr High is right for us.

We have never had a problem with the school or their teachers. They have great attendance the rest of the year which makes a big difference.

Mickey Magic
07-09-2007, 01:27 PM
:mickey:First of all, I competely support you in taking yor child out of school for WDW but as a K teacher, I have a few hints...
1-Ask for any work he may miss before you leave, but don't expect it alll. Teachers of young children cannot plan too far in advance because you never really know how far you will get(especially in the beginning of the year).
2-Let the teacher know as soon as you meet with her in the beginning of the year. She will appreciate that you value your child's educatiuon.
3-When you get all the work after the trip, do not rush through it. Get it done in a timely manner, but going too quickly will result in less retention of information.
4-Know that not everthing can be made up. A lot of learning takes place in the K classroom that cannot be "sent home". That' ok though...he will be fine..it's a week not a month!
5-Send a postcard to the class your first day away...the teacher can use this as a learning opportunity for the rest of the class...mail system, geography, letter writing...etc
6-LASTLY...but MOST IMPORTANT-haha
Bring her something back from WDW!!
Have fun!!!:mickey:

Disney Doll
07-09-2007, 01:33 PM
This is always a controversial topic. As an educator and a parent I can say that it really depends on the kid and it is up to each parent to make the decision that is best for their child. You would never want to put a struggling child at further disadvantage, but if your child is doing well missing a week probably won't hurt. As your child gets older and school work gets more complex missing school will be a bigger deal, but for now I say go ahead and enjoy your vacation.

WDWFREAK101
07-09-2007, 01:34 PM
My family always does that. It is the only time we go. We hate standing in long lines while everybody is there. What you do is that you contact the teacher a head of time and ask what they will miss. Then bring there homework or studying materials that they need so whenever they get free time like on the car ride over there, or at the hotel, etc... Then when they get back number one they would have a fun time going to Disney and also they are ready for school when they get back.

Good Luck!

irish1967
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
I think that something you need to keep in mind is that for many teachers, lesson planning can be fluid in some ways - if the class as a whole gets a concept faster than expected, the teacher will not hold the class back because of vacationing children - as a result, even if you request work up front, your child may still have work to make up when he returns to school.

On the other hand, you may spend time working with your child on concepts that the class struggled with so the teacher took extra time with those concepts and your child ends up ahead of the game.

I think it is also important to make sure that your child gets enough rest on vacation so that he doesn't go back to school exhausted - thus putting him in the position of struggling as well.

As they get older, it does get harder to make up for lost time. Also, as they get older, they get more involved in more sports and activities which will make it harder to schedule the vacation.

ayeckley
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
As a kid, my family regularly made trips to WDW in February, which always involved pulling me out of school (late 70's thru the 80's). It was never a problem, even in high school (although it was technically considered a "college visit" at that point). My two kids now attend the same private school system that I did, and we face a bit of a challenge:

The current school principal has threatened to invoke Ohio's truancy law for *any* kind of unexcused absense, *especially* to take kids out of school for vacation. I've read the law, and it does in fact appear that if we take our kids out for five or more consecutive days we could be breaking this law. I won't get on my soap box about it, but you might want to check to see if your state has something equivalent.

pshokie
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I have to agree with what everyone has already stated. I have not faced this situation...yet. But with a 4 yo & 1 yo, that will soon change. And I know we will be pulling them out of school at some point.

Then only thing I could possibly reccomend (and again, I have not done this yet, so I know I am speaking out of turn), do not take the trip at the start of the school year unless it is unavoidable.

I realize cost may be an issue, and thus why the free dining is so appealing. But to me, there is something to be said for giving respect to the position of teacher (again, not saying you don't, just hear me out). I personnally am not all that comfortable showing up on day 1 of the school year, to turn around on day 10 to take a vacation. Kind of a "Hi! We're here! Time for a vacation!"

For me, waiting an "appropriate" amount of time before pulling the kids out is all I am saying. What's appropriate? Well, I will leave that up to the individual.

I feel kinda awkward now...so I'll just leave it at that. But I hope you understood what I was trying to say.

chrisb26
07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
My partents always pulled My brother and I out of school. However it was never more then 2 or 3 days. We would always go on a weekend that was long like had 3 day weekends or for parent teacher confrences. Stuff like that and we would be able to be there for a while and not miss much school. However we were good students so that was probably more the reason. My parents did however make sure that we got all our homework before the trip if possible to work on during the plane ride there. This always was good for me because the plane was boring anyways and it just meant less work when I got back.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

tink'72
07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
kids out for five or more consecutive days we could be breaking this law. I won't get on my soap box about it, but you might want to check to see if your state has something equivalent.[/QUOTE]

I live in Massachusetts and we have the same "rule". Not sure if it's an actual law. Anyways if the child is out of school for more than 5 days in a semester they will fail that semester. With that said. I have taken my daughter out of school for a week (April "07) to visit WDW and hoped and prayed she would not get sick during the semester we pulled her out for! Thankfully it worked out well for us and I would absolutely do it again!

EmcDuckRN
07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
We too have pulled our kids out to go to DL and WDW. Just how the schedule works out. We've always gotten in contact with the teachers ahead of time and there have never been any problems for us at all. Sometimes they are given "special assignments" such as one year my daughter had to do a report on dinosaurs based on Dinoland USA at AK. She could use any resource available in the park. She really loved it.

BUT... remember that for all the wonderful things that teachers do for our kids, don't forget that you were their first teacher. You taught them to walk, talk, etc. So don't forget that there is a lot that you ca teach your kids on the trip, the airport (government, math, etc.) , the airplane (how a plane flies, weather geography, etc.) , everything has something that you can do tailored to the young 'uns age. Easiest are Animal kingdom (Habitats, animals, cultures...) and epcot (no need to even give examples). little things like the liberty tree at MK, or the display about presidents at Epcot's American adventure are great openings...

Your kinds can learn a lot in those times spent with you.:mickey:

vamaggie
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
We go every 3 yrs or so and only miss about 2 days (we plan around a long weekend for teacher conferences--that teachers also schedule before/after the days off) and always talk to the teachers beforehand. Some teachers have been able to give the work ahead of time, others have said they won't know (based on how lessons are learned) and DS would have to make it up once we got back.I think for K and pre-K (even lower elem grades ) taking them out for a week is ok. As they get into the upper grades a week can be a LOT of info (and often new info) to miss. If it is a once in a while thing I don't think it is bad but to do it every year for a week I think it too much. I know I am probably in the minority here but just how I see it. Kinda like the "following the rules" thing--how can we tell kids school is important and then say it's not so important that they can miss when you want them to go to WDW? Especially every year?

snifflesmcg
07-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I think for Kindergarten it should be fine to pull them out. I, however, would wait a few months (like another slow time, February) while school is in a bit. September is the time when kids start and meet new kids. That could be hard for little ones in a new situation.

Also, if anyone has kids in high school, watch how much time you take. In 2005, my sister lost credit in 2 classes. We only had a week's vacation.

CleveSJM
07-09-2007, 02:48 PM
We are all for pulling the kids out of school for vacations. At that age, vacations are a learning experience regardless of the destination.

1. Communicate with the teachers to get assignments and "credit" for the away time. We live in Ohio and have been threatened with the "rules" before. Call it an experiment in home schooling...

2. For K, it's a no brainer. For other grades, if my kid was struggling, I wouldn't take them out. A good education is the top priority and if a week away would hurt the learning process, don't do it.

For my kids, it helps them do better in school and the teachers know it. Just communicate with the school, don't try to hide it.

mainemajor
07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
We took our boys out of school on several occasions for trips to WDW. Each time we talked with their teachers ahead of time and aranged for them to have "home work" on the trips. Once one of the teachers was shocked that all the work she gave our son had been done. We stressed to the boys that even though they were missing school, they still had responsibilities.
Go for it and do not worry :mickey:

carribeanpirate5
07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Kinda like the "following the rules" thing--how can we tell kids school is important and then say it's not so important that they can miss when you want them to go to WDW? Especially every year?

That is my point exactly. Use this senario.....Your child asks to stay home for a few days because he/she is tired. As a parent you say no, school is too important or something like that. Your child turns it around and says "Why can't I? You let me take off a week to go to Disney?" How would that be answered?

This is just my opinion, but I would not take my kids out of school for any vacation. However, that is just me and I would not look down upon anyone who chooses to take their kids from school.

crazeedizneefinatic
07-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Our family does make the decision to take our son out for vacation. He will miss 6 school days this coming September. We have been very fortunate to have the cooperation and support of the school. My son will be going into 2nd grade this year. I think it depends alot on the child. If my son ever fell behind or had problems missing I would stop it immediately. He also has excellent attendance the rest of the year. I am a sahm so I am very involved at school. My son has our full support academically. We do homework together and all makeup work together. We also make sure we pick something to show and tell that is educational for the class when we return. My son always chooses something from one of the countries in Epcot. I have never seen a problem with doing this unless the child was not doing well in their classes. May I also brag a bit at this point, my son was 1 of only 3 in his class of 28 to make the honor roll this past year (yea!!!) My son knows that this is a privledge to be taken out to go to WDW. :mickey:

Disneyatic
07-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Last year we decided to take our WDW vacation 2 weeks before DD's scheduled spring break, she was in the 1st grade.
We did think hard about the decision but her teacher was understanding and she got her make-up work when we came back.
This year she starts 3rd grade on August 23rd and we are taking her out for a week Sept 10-14 (actually missing only 4 days because of an inservice day!)
I think as long as you communicate with the teacher and school and are confident that your child will not academically suffer for it, it is 100% fine.
We do realize that we will probably only be able to do this for another year or two because as they get older the learning accelerates and more is missed and I think it becomes harder for the child to catch up.

NewmanFamily6
07-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Both times our girls have gone we pulled them out. Both times we took all assignments with us and worked on them everyday of our trip. They came back fully prepared for class. This January DD 10 & DD 6 will miss a week for the DCL. We will apply the same rules. The Twins are only 4 so we do not have to worry about them yet. My DH is also one of those who doesn't get a lot of options for his vacation time.:mickey:

meldan98
07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
My mom works at an elementary school she has told me about a lot of kids who travel to Mexico, Central America, and India for 1-2 months during the school year and the school can't do anything about it. So to me, a few days missed, can be made up...months can't.

Golf Grumpy
07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
We have done it before at Thanksgiving. We let the teachers know and they have been ok with it. We give them about 3 weeks notice. Not sure if we can do it anymore, because DD is in HS now.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Then only thing I could possibly reccomend (and again, I have not done this yet, so I know I am speaking out of turn), do not take the trip at the start of the school year unless it is unavoidable.

I realize cost may be an issue, and thus why the free dining is so appealing. But to me, there is something to be said for giving respect to the position of teacher (again, not saying you don't, just hear me out). I personnally am not all that comfortable showing up on day 1 of the school year, to turn around on day 10 to take a vacation. Kind of a "Hi! We're here! Time for a vacation!"

For me, waiting an "appropriate" amount of time before pulling the kids out is all I am saying. What's appropriate? Well, I will leave that up to the individual.

I feel kinda awkward now...so I'll just leave it at that. But I hope you understood what I was trying to say.

Don't worry...I am not going to attack you..lol. ;)

We went to our Principal a few years back and asked him what the best time to take the kids out would be. We explained that because of DH's job (He is a 911 Dispatcher for the PD/FD) he cannot take time of in the summer.
His suggestion was September or March. September because it is a review month and they generally will not be missing new work.

March because there is no major testing or preparing for state testing. (DS is going into 5th and other DS into 2nd....Sean has a lot of NYS testing each year.
We choose September just because of the weather.

Our school has Moving Up day the last day of school so the boys have both met their new teachers. They also know them casually since we have a fairly small school community.

So, while I agree with your post 100%, our school actually suggests September if you are going to take them out.

Just wanted to explain our reasoning. :)

Oh yeah, as for the posts about truancy rules. Our school allows 28 absences a school year. 7 a semester. As long as you remain under that number you are fine. My son's have never had more then 9 absences a year. 6 being for WDW. Sean had 8 this past year and Riley had 9 because he ended up with a case of Strep. So, we feel a little better taking them out because we do not have excessive absences.

Of course, it goes without saying that if my kids were struggling in school, having repeated absences or not doing their very best in school, we would not even be having this discussion. ;)

GottaluvTiggr
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
I go on tons of vacations and I'm taken out of school and this will be my first year of high school and i will miss a week in September to go to Disney world and I'm looking forward to it.

Gotta Love Disney World!:mickey:

yasmina
07-10-2007, 07:25 AM
I generally don't have a problem with kids going to Disney, particularly if their work has been good in class. I had difficulty keeping my mouth shut last year when a family pulled their kid out who was failing just about every class.

I tease the kids in my class (I teach French) when they bring me a note about an "educational trip to WDW" - it is of course educational - but I tell them that their homework is to eat the escargots at one of the French restaurants in Epcot! I really can't give them actual work to do on their trip, because rarely can a child self-learn - or parents help with - a foreign language.

I just wish I had a dollar for every one of those notes that I've signed over the last 20 years - I could finance my next trip to the World!

BigRedDad
07-10-2007, 07:47 AM
By all means, pull your kids out of school to go during a value season. The only time a problem may ensue is when they are in High School. Classes are more difficult and absences are counted more strictly.

Most schools have no issue with this. You may need to discuss it with the Principal. Get their work assignments ahead of time so they can work a bit while away. Sell the idea as a learning experience (World Showcase is easy for this one).

My parents pulled me, my brother and my sister out of skool (pun intended) for a week every September to go to WDW. My sister double majored in college, my brother got a Finance degree, I have an engineering degree and am working on an MBA. I was also the idiot boy in school, so the Principal probably asked my parents to take me out for a week. :D

Kenny1113
07-10-2007, 08:46 AM
I also took my PreK and K out of school for WDW trips. I too am concerned because next year my DS6 starts a new school for 1st grade. It is an IB program and supposed to be extremely rigorous, we even had to sign a contract expressing how important attendance is. At this point I say I will not pull him out of school for trips this year...I will reevaluate after a couple of months and decide. For now I will just take him durning teacher weekdays and weekends. :mickey: