PDA

View Full Version : The best resort for a HONEYMOON?

DessertDivaFL
07-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I just got engaged a few days ago and I am already thinking of possibilities for a honeymoon. (Wedding in Nov. '08) :bride:

I would like to hear from those of you who had your honeymoon at WDW and what your thoughts are on what makes for a perfect Disney honeymoon. Thanks in advance for your information.

GrumpyFan
07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
:congrats:

We haven't honeymooned at WDW, but we have spent a couple of incredible anniversaries there. It's really a tough question to answer because a lot depends on yours and your fiancee's tastes. So, I'll tell you where we stayed and why we liked it.

Once we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and really enjoyed the feeling of being in a rustic lodge. The rooms were very nice and the hotel itself was very quiet, in the room at least. There are several places to stroll about after dinner, down to the beachfront, or down to the boat dock. Also, you can rent boats at their small marina.

Another enjoyable place we stayed was at Boardwalk. We liked this because of it's central location and close proximity to Epcot and MGM/Disney Studios, our two favorite parks. Nighttime offers several restaurants, entertainment on the boardwalk, Jellyrolls, which is lots of fun, and Atlantic Dance (never visited). There are also Surrey bike rentals, and you can stand on the bridge close to Epcot and watch (most of) the fireworks.

There are of course other great choices, like Poly, Contemporary and Grand Floridian, but again, it all depends on your own preferences. Regardless of where you decide to stay, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

DVC2004
07-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I think the Poly would be great for Honeymooners. The atmosphere is incomparable to any! THere's some hammocks out on the beach and you can lie there and watch the MK fireworks. There's also a torch lighting ceremony every night. Stolling down the walkways with the tiki-torches lit- very romantic!

moe513
07-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Congratulations. I spent part of my honeymoon in wdw and then went to Jamiaca ,which I hated. I was bored after a week in Disney. We stayed at cbr which was great. Very beautiful and a great trpoical feel. Pofq is also a mod. resort but probably too small. I think the poly is wonderful if its in your budget. If you want you can split your stay among the resorts.I also think akl has a romantic feel. Have you ever been to Disney or is this all new to you.?????

moe513
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I just read your signature and see you have been and have even stayed at cbr.

Roo Girl
07-09-2007, 11:55 AM
We had our honeymoon in WDW- April 22nd thru May 2nd. We stayed the first 5 days in Poly and the 2nd 5 days at SSR. It was awesome. I told everyone and their brother at WDW that it was our honeymoon and we received some very wonderful perks- fance desserts with congratulations on it and stuff like that. Everyone was extremely sweet and congratulated us all over the place. Get your "Just Married" button from Guest Services- not only does it add that extra magic, but you never know what CMs will do for that special trip for you both. We really enjoyed our honeymoon at WDW- it was our most perfect trip.

lyle21
07-09-2007, 12:36 PM
we never had a honeymoon:(

but my sister had one at wdw. they did a split stay at the grand floridian in an octogon honeymoon room in the main building and then a garden suite at the boardwalk. i think they prefered the grand floridian. they thought the service and the concierge offerings were far superior to the boardwalk's

that said, both rooms were lovely and both were very convenient in terms of getting around to the parks. i don't think you could do wrong at the poly or wilderness either. while i love the contemporary it doesn't exactly say "honeymoon" to me. the poly and grand floridian are connected by a wonderful walk on the beach. that whole area w/ the palm trees and white sand and hammocks is very relaxing. and of course all the dining options between the two.

it would be tough for me to choose between the grand floridian or the boardwalk for a wdw honeymoon. i really love both areas. grand floridian would be more quiet while the boardwalk would certainly be exciting.

either way, congratulations.

MMouse6937
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Congrats!!

We stayed at the Poly for our honeymoon and loved it! We were supposed to stay at CBR but it closed because of the food court refurb and we got an upgrade to the Poly. I would say if you can go all out, I would definately say the Poly, if you can't I would have been happy with the CBR having stayed there since our honeymoon. They both are very nice.

Have fun planning your wedding and honeymoon :D

dolphinmickey9170
07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I would say Poly....not only for location but for ambiance.

starryeyes21
07-09-2007, 02:30 PM
My fianc'e and I are planning a Disney Honeymoon as well. We're getting married October 4th, 2008.

When he proposed I started thinking about how I was going to bring it up, thinking that he would say a Disney honeymoon was not romantic enough or whatever. Then one night we were laying in bed and he sheepishly asked me how I would feel about going to Disney for our honeymoon. (It really is a match made in heaven :hug: )

We just decided that we wanted to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was a toss up between that location and Coronado Springs. We are a couple on a budget and we have to think long and hard about where we're going to spend our money.

I'm so excited!

Dedivah
07-09-2007, 02:32 PM

We only spent a couple of days at WDW for our honeymoon then we went on a 7-day cruise.

But I would vote for Poly too! :thumbsup: Next best thing to a Hawaiian Honeymoon - Or Better! You can't get Disney in Hawaii. :)

We are headed to CSR in a few weeks to spent our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. :heart:

purplestarlisa
07-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Congratulations on your engagement! We are getting married this November (the 10th) and have chosen the Wilderness Lodge for our honeymoon. I did months of research before we settled on this resort. We chose this one because of the high reviews it gets here on the Intercot boards, and because it looks absolutely beautiful!

I don't think you can go wrong, which ever resort you choose!

Best of luck to you!
Lisa
:bride: :minnie:

SBETigg
07-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Congratulations and best wishes! Deciding which resort to honeymoon at depends so much on your personal taste. We went with the Grand Floridian and didn't regret it for a second. It was amazing, and it remains our favorite resort. We're headed back for our 17th anniversary in 41 days. :mickey:

We loved the relaxed elegance and feel of the whole resort. We never felt uncomfortable or that the resort is stuffy-- though I have heard some people react that way. The staff was wonderful to us. The restaurants were amazing. And the view! We had a lagoon view room facing the MK. Every minute was magical. I hope you feel the same way about your honeymoon, whichever resort you choose.

disneycouple2004
07-09-2007, 02:56 PM
We were married at Disneyworld and honeymoon was at Vero Beach in December 2004...it was amazing !!...very nice right on the beach...its well worth checking into ..and its only about 2 hours from the world..:thumbsup:

DessertDivaFL
07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Even though I have never met any of you in person I feel so good knowing that you care enough to send your ideas and suggestions.

I haven't mentioned to my fiance that I want to have a Disney honeymoon but when I showed him the Wilderness Lodge he said "Now that's my kind of resort." We love the mountains of North Carolina but I can't help but think we would get pampered at Disney no matter where we stayed. I like the idea of splitting the stay between two resorts. Keep the suggestions coming.

SBETigg
07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
My now-husband hadn't been to WDW when I suggested it for our honeymoon and he thought I was nuts, but he was willing to indulge me. He really thought it was like a big Six Flags type park-- he had no idea.

I helped win him over by showing him the great resorts and choosing one that would be blissful for us even if we didn't go to parks, with great restaurants and amenities and theme. Then, I planned early and chose restaurants I knew he would enjoy trying. World Showcase was a big selling point. We're into fine dining and wine. Gradually, he was more willing to consider that I wasn't simply proposing a kiddie theme park vacation, but that there was a whole adult side to WDW that we could enjoy together. And then when I finally got him there, he realized how amazing it all was and we ended up spending most of our time in the Magic Kingdom running from ride to ride like a couple of kids.

I would suggest choosing a resort you will enjoy spending time in as a couple, with rooms, theme, and amenities that suit you both. And then plan early so that you can get all the dining choices that will make it a special time for both of you. The Signature Dining restaurants are really nice for honeymooning couples. Artist Point at the WL, for instance, or California Grill. It will help make your time special and romantic, even beyond the theme park experience.

Horizon93
07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
My now-husband hadn't been to WDW when I suggested it for our honeymoon and he thought I was nuts, but he was willing to indulge me. He really thought it was like a big Six Flags type park.

I was in the exact same situation. I had never been to WDW and I kept looking for the ferris wheel when we arrived. My wife now feels terribly responsible for my Disney-crazed existence!

Depending upon budget, I would say to look for the resort with the theming and location that you like. The Epcot resorts, Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, and the Swan and Dolphin are great beacause they are beautiful resorts with great proximity to the World Showcase.

berri_boo
07-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Well, first - congrats on your recent engagement :bride::groom:.

My DH & I spent our honeymoon at WDW (also known as a "disneymoon" :thumbsup:) all thanks to his loving parents (thanks mom & dad #2). This was a no brainer for us - me being a Disney nut & never having been to WDW & DH having been there 5/6 times:envy:.

We stayed at PO-FQ for 16 days and had a wonderful time. This was a smaller resort, not really crowded at all and not too many children either. It has a very romantic feel to it and the landscaping is very well done (fountains, flowers, trees & old style street lamps...everything about it screams romance). We made sure that we put aside a couple of days to enjoy the resort itself and relax by the pool or walking around. PO-R has a nice horse-drawn carriage ride for around $40. What drew us to PO-FQ was the size of it compared to the other resorts....it is one of the smaller resorts! There is also a nice boat that takes you to DTD or just for a ride...it's very nice at sunset!

Gosh..talking about this sure does have me looking forward to my November trip :cloud9:

BrerGnat
07-09-2007, 11:23 PM
We were married at WDW in 2001 and spent 8 nights in a honeymoon suite at the Wilderness Lodge. It was incredible! :cloud9: I wouldn't change a thing if I could go back and do it again.

However, looking to the future, I think a great place for a couple to stay without kids is the Yacht Club. It is in a prime location, is quiet (less families stay there), romantic, and has a lot of great dining options all around it at the resort itself, the Boardwalk, the Epcot countries, and the Swan/Dolphin all within walking distance. I think that would be a great place for a couple to honeymoon as well.

It's all a matter of personal taste. I can't say why we chose the WL...neither of us loves the outdoors or anything but there is just something about that place that is special and it's my favorite WDW resort for some strange reason.

Mickey91
07-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I think either the Poly or WL. They are both relaxed and romantic!

rnin02
07-10-2007, 11:41 PM
We stayed at AKL for our honeymoon, and it was fantastic! We were upgraded to a pool-view room, which was a beautiful view, and plus there's so many things to see there (if you like animals anyway). Definitely get your "just married" buttons, we got so many "congratulations" said to us, from other visitors and from CMs, it was awesome. Plus I think it helped us get a table at Rose & Crown once (we were turned away, then they came after to us to say there was a table after all, over looking the lagoon!), we also got other little "treats": free champagne toast at Hollywood Brown Derby, free desserts, a neat certificate from one of the Epcot Pavillions. It was awesome, the best time we've had at Disney.

DessertDivaFL
07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Thank you to everyone who posted your suggestions. You are awesome! :thumbsup:

Can someone please help me close out this thread? I don't know how. Thanks.