PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Disney Transportation or Having your own car?

Lizzie
07-07-2007, 11:15 AM
I have seen a lot of posts about people preferring to have a car to use to get around. We prefer using Disney transportation. What do you prefer to use?

Fangorn
07-07-2007, 11:22 AM
We always rent a car, but then we have a son who lives in Orlando, so we are off property a fair bit. While we are on property, we use the Disney transportation a lot, but not exclusively. We like the flexibility of having a car.

Steve

Eeyore's My Favorite
07-07-2007, 11:26 AM
The only time we don't use Disney Transportation is if we're going to the Fantasia Golf. This year we're going to be going to a park after we check out, so we will be taking our car there & leaving for home from the park. The bus drivers know their way to the parks alot easier than some of the driver's out there on the roads.

-----------
:mickey:

SgtTigger
07-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Disney Transportation all the way......

I love to pull up and hop on that bus, boat, or monorail.....

:bus:

:cop: :tigger:

Mendelson
07-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I have to say car, though I have a suspicion I'll be in the minority.

The one thing that can make a WDW vacation really good or on the other hand, stressful, is the size of the crowds while you're there and dealing with the size of said crowds. Aside from deciding what time of year to go, I can't do anything about the sheer number of people, but I like the control over my own maneuvering that having a car gives. I can get to the parks as absolutely early as I want to. When I leave, I'm not letting busses pass by or dealing with one last line and ride that I'm not really in the mood for. My family maintains a very positive, happy attitude during our days in the parks, but as we all know, not all the folks on that bus are like-minded! So if I can leave and get in my own environment, I'm all the happier.

Dawneeeey
07-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Unless we are staying off-property of course.

Also, we usually do a couple things non-Disney (I know, the horror) while in Orlando. So what we have done a couple times in the past is, plan our Disney stuff for one part of the week, and then rent a car for 2-3 days for the other few days. This has worked out pretty well for us.

But, if we are strictly going to Disney only, Disney transportation. It's so convenient, and free! :mickey:

harlowandthemermaid
07-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I always rent a car. We do use the monorail but I dont like using the busses at all.

Plus, we do a lot of resort dining and exploring which is way easier with a car.

mickey-mouse35
07-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Love having a car--makes it so much easier to get to Downtown Disney, the resorts and offsite. If I was strictly doing parks and no resorts, Disney transportation would be fine, but we love to go to the different resorts.

I remember on our honeymoon we were at Dixie Landings and we got stuck at the TTC forever because it was late and the busses had stopped. It was a bad experience! :(

I do love the monorail, though, and use it whenever we can! :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-07-2007, 12:34 PM
We drive to WDW, so we have our car with us, but we use Disney transport about 90% of the time. Part of the "vacation" is that we don't have to drive, worry about the car, etc.

The only thing we usually end up with car for is Hoop-Dee-Doo...and then DTD afterwards.

Otherwise, the car gets a break too!

moe513
07-07-2007, 12:36 PM
We use the disney transportation and really get into the whole experience. We fly to Orlando so we dont see the need for a vehicle.

alilprincessmom
07-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Until we moved here to ND, we would drive to WDW because we were only an hour away. Even so, we would use the WDW transportation once we got there. Now that we are going to be flying in we will definately use the WDW transportation.

MickeysEars
07-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Besides our honeymoon, the first time we flew down and HAD to use the buses, etc., it was during the (dreaded) cheerleading compitition in December. A little known fact is that when you stay at the All-Star resorts, and you are in the Movies, (last in the line of three hotels), there is only one bus for all three. Soooo, with all the kids there for the football games and cheering comps, we waited 1 hour and 25 minutes for a bus because they kept filling up before they got to the Movies, and the would just pass us by. Not to mention trying to get the stroller on the bus when it was filled to capacity. The next time we went for Christmas we drove, and took our car everywhere. We are flying this time, and am looking forward to the buses, my DD loves them.

Tinkerbellfan
07-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Hello,

We usually rent a car. We didn't rent a car during our first trip to WDW and we ended up calling for a lot of taxis later in the night. We tend to eat late dinners at the deluxe resorts. And, there was no way I was going to go from one resort to DTD to catch the bus back to my resort. It would have taken way too much time.

Having a car also allows us to save time getting to breakfast at other resorts each morning. In fact, the only time we do not use our car to get to the parks each morning is MK.

This year, we will def. be renting a car so we can go resort hopping to see all of the Christmas decorations.

serstar87
07-07-2007, 03:14 PM
We usually drive down from New York but park our car and use Disney Transportation during our stay. The last few times we went to WDW we flew, took a taxi to the Swan (alas no DME) and then took Disney Transport during our stay.

jedi jen
07-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I know I am in the minority, but we use a car. We have gone in July and I don't like the idea of waiting for a bus and all the crowds. Last year, there was no traffic on the roads (I guess with everyone using Disney Transportation) so driving and parking seemed easy. But, you guys are making me rethink my plans. It sounds like the bus is not so bad. Maybe I will cancel my car and try Disney Transportation. Oh, and by the way, I leave for the World in six days!!!! :mickey::cloud9::party:

Checkers
07-07-2007, 03:55 PM
:mickey:We have done both but have decided that in the future (when we are staying onsite) we will still rent a car. We like to have dinner at the different resorts and it just makes it easier. We will probably still use WDW transportation at times but just like to have the flexibility.

snifflesmcg
07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I've never rented a car while in Florida. I either drive down or fly and use the ME. Either way I do it, it's Disney transportatio all the way. Last thing I want to worry about is parking and such....I'm on vacation.

Mickey91
07-07-2007, 04:53 PM
We use Disney Transportation most of the time. But, it is nice to have the car there to be able to go somewhere faster if need be. We generally park it and leave it til the end of the week though.

mttafire
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Considering we drive the Odyssey to Disney..I chose "car". We LOVE using the monorail and ride it all over. However, As for the busses. We tried them once and just preferred driving to the parks and park for free.:thumbsup: There is a nice feeling getting in your own vehicle and driving back to the room...No crowded busses!! Or waiting.

jillluvsdisney
07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
We have rented a car for the last 6 trips and I would never be without one again. We enjoy eating at several resorts in WDW. It would take too much time up using a bus to get to them. We also like to do some off site stuff like Sea World. I have a very good sense of direction so I feel comfortable getting around.

mrsgaribaldi
07-07-2007, 05:15 PM
We always rent a car too. When we stayed at a monorail resort we used the monorail but we never use the bus system. I would not like waiting around for a bus.

2Epcot
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
I voted for renting a car because I've done that on most of the trips to WDW. Usually I go to Universal, or Kennedy Space Center. It is also nice to be able to just drive over to Downtown Disney. On my last trip I didn't have a car and used all Disney transportation, and it worked fine.

mainemajor
07-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Disney transportation allows for adults to have an adult beverage :beer: or two :beer::marg: without having to drive after. That is real helpful during the Wine Festival.
It is easier to have someone else drive after a long day at the parks.

biodtl
07-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Disney Transportation for me. Aside from being free, it's convenient. I know it might not always be perfect, and spometimes you may have to wait or adjust your schedule, but for me, it's still the best way to go. I'm too tired at the end of the day to worry about a car and parking.

kakn7294
07-07-2007, 06:57 PM
We definately prefer Disney transportation. We'll even use the Disney transportation when we drive. We'll park at the resort and not move the car until it's time to come home. It's just so much nicer to have someone else (who knows where he/she is going) drive, especially when it's dark and we're tired.

Lucille
07-07-2007, 07:03 PM
We use Disney transportation and taxis. Neither of us enjoy driving and don't drive at home so why would we on vacaction :blush:? It also enables us to have a couple of :beer: :beer: and not worry about safety.

Catwillow
07-07-2007, 07:34 PM
well...that was a hard one. I use the Disney transportation as often as possible. As I live 1 1/2 hrs from Disney I end up driving to meet the rest of my party @ the resort...who flies in. It's nice having the car and knowing the option is there. Especially in the evenings.

Kathleen

Pocahontas
07-07-2007, 07:47 PM
If I have had the bad experiences with the Disney buses as some has talked about, I too would rent a car. Maybe it's the time of year I go, but I've always had good luck with Disney transportation. We always fly to Disney and let them take it from there - DME, Disney resort, and Disney transportation!:mickey:

DisneyCrazyET
07-07-2007, 07:49 PM
We drive down so,
Disney :bus:
:boat:
monorail
We are on :vacation:

tinksmom02
07-07-2007, 09:09 PM
We rent. I like having a car, and not being at the "mercy" of Disney. It's so much easier to get to other resorts for dining, etc.

We do love the monorail and the boat from POR/FQ to DTD, though!!

DessertDivaFL
07-07-2007, 09:54 PM
:bus:
I drive my car to WDW from home so I have my car on site but, honestly, the Disney Transportation saves me money on gas and the possibility of getting into an accident trying to find my way around.

Some people probably drive because they have control over the when and where they go. I can understand that point. You are at the mercy of the Disney system to get you to your destination at a reasonable time and sometimes you wait longer than the 20 minutes they say is the typical wait.

What I find takes so long is when they have a person in a wheel chair. It takes a lot of time to get them in or out. I am not complaining about that but that would be the only thing I see that would keep a bus from running on time.

I believe I heard Disney is testing a new type of hybrid bus so I hope they go with that since it would be better for the environment.

Polynesian Dweller
07-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Voted for car but its really a mix. From the Poly the car is more convenient for DTD, Disney Studios, and AK but Disney Transport is far better for Epcot and MK.

GrmGrninGost
07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
We drive down, but once we get there we seldom use our car. I like using the Disney transportation!:mickey:

hockeymom
07-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Always a car.
You can make your own schedule and save lots of "bus waiting time". Also, there are a few off site restaurants that are our favorites as well as the traditional shopping day.

psychotekkie
07-07-2007, 11:59 PM
I couldn't vote because it really depends. I found that at the Deluxe resorts, the Disney Transportation including busses was fantastic, even though we always travel during peak season. And I soooo love the monorail.

But from the Value resorts, we were restricted to only busses but the busses were way more crowded and we had long waits, and more having to stand while carrying tiny ones with one arm while gripping the pole for dear life. While at a value, I would definitely choose my dear old car, but would still try to get on a monorail at some time (it's my DS3s favourite ride)!

kathiep
07-08-2007, 09:06 AM
We definately prefer having a care, whether we bring our own or rent one.

I remember being hot and tired as a kid waiting for the buses and can't imagine going through that with my kids. I'm also a little nervous about my little ones being on the buses without a car seat restraint system.

We hardly even leave Disney property but a car makes it much easier to visit or eat at other resorts. It's so much quicker to get back and forth.

I also found that my little ones get back to our car after a long day and quickly fall asleep. Then I just need to transfer them to our room for a nice nap.

BluewaterBrad
07-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Disney Transportation for us always. We always stay onsite. The car gets parked, and we usually dont see it until we have to leave!:mickey:

LandFan
07-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I love the freedom of letting others do the driving for you when you are on vacation:thumbsup: Disney Transportation all the way:D

BritCody
07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Typically we rent a car. It is a nice luxury

princessjojo
07-08-2007, 10:20 AM
We always use Disney Transportation. Though having a car would be convenient for us, it is also a hassle. We plan our vacations to rest and relax so we aren't bothered too much having to wait for a second bus if necessary. Having to rent a car is just an added expense for us. Many times as well, we have found that with a car, it really isn't too much faster than taking Disney transportation. You have to get to your car, drive over there, and find a parking space, all assuming that you don't need to stop for gas. And we don't have to worry about knowing what roads lead where or having to know directions to some place. We just sit back and ride...

paragon
07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
We prefer our own car/rental. usually because we hate waiting for a bus, and the wife has kind of a germ fear. But we also like to get out and sometimes head to places not connected by Disney transportation.

Donald A
07-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Even though we always drive to WDW, once we park the car at our resort, it stays there. I am an impatient driver and part of being at WDW is being able to relax and let someone else take care of that.

robyn221
07-08-2007, 03:13 PM
We have a kid with mild autism and when he's had enough stimulation, he's HAD ENOUGH. Having our car (relatively) handy means we can get him out of the parks and back to the resort where he can have some time to decompress much quicker.

Robyn

Ian
07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
If it was just DW and I, I think we'd be okay without a car. But once you enter strollers into the mix, the busses just don't cut it.

Plus, I find them far too unreliable. It could take you 20 minutes to get from MK to Epcot or it could take you 2 hours. You can't plan around that sort of unpredictability.

thrillme
07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
October 2008 I'm going to try Disney Transportation without a car in a LONG time. I tried the transportation thing and grew irritated by it. Too many people and if I wanted to go to another park I'd always have to go back to the hotel first then go back to the park unless of course I was hopping between MK and Epcot.

LoriMistress
07-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I think it depends on if you live close to the parks. If you only live a few hours away than take a car. For me, I don't like the feeling of after a hard day and night at the parks, than walking back to the car and driving back home or to my resort. I rather sit on the bus and rest my feet.

07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Always disney transportation. Never had a problem with it. The only problem we encountered last time was with Mears Shuttle. We had them reserved to pick us up to take us to Universal. When I made the reservation I was told it would take about 20 mins to get there but when they came to pick us up, it was a large bus & the driver said he had to make several stops & it would take over an hour to get there. We didn't want to wait since we wanted to get there when the park opened so we grabbed a taxi (which was readily available outside the poly). I will never use Mears again.

RAIDER
07-09-2007, 03:46 AM
Use of my own car or hire car in our case ..You have far more freedom of when you when you want to stay or leave a park without any hassle .On top of that if you dont want to back to your room and go somewhere else you can go there straightaway :thumbsup:

January-2007
07-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Disney Transportation. It really does give the vacation a great feeling of relaxation and immersion knowing everything is taken care of and you don't really have to worry about directions or driving anywhere. I think it's tops.

DawsonAR
07-09-2007, 11:37 AM
While on Vacation, I want someone else to do all the driving. We do Disney Transportation and a Taxi if we need to do something outside Disney.

DivaLuvsDisney
07-09-2007, 11:43 AM
We don't leave Disney property (don't even go to DTD) and so I love leaving reality and my car behind!! :)

Figgyluv03
07-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Disney Transporation is the way to go. You don't have to walk to your car and it's so easy to come and go as you please.:thumbsup:

caryrae
07-09-2007, 12:33 PM
We always rent a car and find it very very easy to get around the WDW property on our own. Mostly I am sure because we go in Sept alot when it's not crowded. Plus we do alot of things outside of Disney as well, like Sea World Universal and Cocoa Beach.

I am just one of those people who love to drive places. For some reason I hate being a passanger even in my own car.

We have tried Disney transportation before and didn't find anymore covenient then driving ourselves. Most of the time driving ourselves was much faster but it helps that we know the area very well.

Spaceship Tigger
07-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Having been on trips where we used all WDW transportation and others where we drove everywhere, I say that driving is certainly better. There's nothing relaxing about waiting in line for a bus and then cramming onto it. And I never, ever want to try to go to the Boardwalk, mini-golf, or another resort via busses again.

And really, for all the talk of WDW's size, it's really not a big area to drive around in. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to drive from one end to another (except for maybe the heavy traffic DD area).

Mickey Loves Golf
07-10-2007, 08:02 AM
DISNEY TRANSPORTATION...becaaaaauuussseeee

WE ARE MAGIC IN MOTION
:cool:

Terra
07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
A car! Mostly because I live so close and rarely stay on property. And also because I can drive, park and get to wherever I'm going usually before WDW transportation.

But I do love the monorail!!

Squeaky Mouse
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I prefer to use Disney transportation. It's so nice to sit back and let someone else take me where I want to go. However, during busier times of the year, I find it's less stressful to drive myself to all of the parks except MK.

avantgardeinker
07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
If you could get everywhere by monorail or ferry, we would rely on Disney, but the buses are too crowded. We also like to plan one day in the middle of our trip away from the parks. We go to outlet malls and whatever else we can find to use up our time during the day. Just sort of a down day. We need our own transportation for that unless we want to pay really high taxi prices. Not worth it!!

149 more days!!

CuteAsMinnie
07-10-2007, 10:25 AM
One of the best things about a Disney vaca is the transportation. In the days where we drove to Disney, it was soooo nice to be able to park the car and never touch it again for the length of our stay - ranging from 7 - 12 days. Now that we fly down, we hop in a limo to our resort and then never have to worry about transportation again until we leave.

kurt
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
i prefer disney transportation. they know the routes to the parks & no paying parking everytime i visit a park or park hop. it is convient for me staying at a disney hotel.
disney transportation operators :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
100% using our own car. Last year we were meeting our friends at EPCOT and we used our car and they used Disney transportation. We both left our rooms at the same time and we waited for them at the enterance of EPCOT for 30 mins!

Plus we do other things than just Disney and Disney restaurants.

Marker
07-10-2007, 12:11 PM
why drive in the traffic when I don't have to. I know some folk like to complain about Disney Transportation, but I'm not one of them.

Sure, I understand that I may have to wait a few minutes for bus. But on the other hand, I don't have to find my car way out in the parking lot, get in the HOT car, drive in the heavy traffic to another parking lot and park who knows how far away from my ultimate destination.

Whereas on thee bus, I may have to meet some people I didn't already know and talk to people around me, and only to be let off right by the gate. And I don't even have to find my keys.

Oh yeah, it's Disney Transportation for me every time.

ImagiAsh
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
My family usually flies into Orlando and we do Disney transportation all the way. I feel that using Disney transportation completes the overall experience. Unfortunately, during our trip next week, we will be staying off-property and, thus, using a rental car, because we're college hunting for my younger brother. :( Oh well! I can't complain that much. I'm going to Disney World!:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
I prefer Disney transportation so I can have an adult beverage and not worry about it....with my own car, then only one driving person cannot partake in that adult beverage.:blush:

DizNee143
07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
car all the way!!
it is soooo nice to have a car in disney..you could do whatever you want whenever you want!! you dont have to wait around for a bus/boat/monorail..to do what you want..:mickey:

caryrae
07-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I hear alot about how people like the Disney Transportation because it completes the magic. I can see how the Monorail may make you feel this way but the buses are no different then riding a bus in any city. They should make the buses more Disney like they did to the buses for the Disney Cruise Line.

i prefer disney transportation. they know the routes to the parks & no paying parking everytime i visit a park or park hop. it is convient for me staying at a disney hotel.
disney transportation operators :thumbsup:

Actually you don't have to pay for parking at the parks if you stay at a Disney Resort.

Kenny1113
07-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I was unable to vote because I do not use either exclusevly. I will not drive to MK, but I will to Epcot or MGM. My worst experience was trying to get to Spoodles using disney transportation from Ft Wilderness. what a nightmare! We had to go to DTD first and wait for another bus and then walk 1/2 mile. Needed a :marg: to calm down after that one...so I needed disney transportation :D

Joanna
07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
We prefer to rent a car--and this will be a necessity for our upcoming trips in Oct and Nov as we will be staying offsite.

Marker
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
.... and with Disney Transportation I almost never get lost. With all my trips to WDW over the years, I've yet to REALLY figure out the roads.

Fortgoofy97
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I chose the CAR! We usually always took Disney transport but then rented a car - the DW loved the freedom. Then when we had the DD's with us, we rented again and they loved not having to wait for a bus! Plus being able to go off property for the first time! A car just gives us the convenience of doing different things and coming and going as we wish!! Trust me though, sometimes I will not get a car, because I want to relax and having a car means I need to drive all over!!

WED1901
07-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Disney Trans except when we go to DTD or any of the water parks. :mickey:

WDW_Megan
07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I would prefer having a car, mostly leaving the park at closing, but when we do have the car we still do both, This year we are flying so no car. This will be our first time to Disney w/o car

yasmina
07-10-2007, 05:22 PM
we used Disney transport for the whole trip, except for the last day. We rented a car and were going to Clearwater for 3 days before heading home. We drove to AK, and when we left in the PM, we couldn't find our car!

Dummy us, we neglected to write down our license # or attach a ribbon or something to the antenna. Took us almost an hour in the boiling heat (this was July) and 2 hysterical kids (they thought the car had been stolen!) to find it.

We learned a hard lesson that day!

grumpycajun
07-10-2007, 05:24 PM
After a 10 1/2 hour drive I can't wait to park the car for a week!

ryca1dreams
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I enjoy the fellowship of fellow Disney-ers - adults and children - on the bus, boat, and monorail. I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to drive for at least a week. I do enough of that at work. Sure, there are times we have to wait awhile, but we use that time to talk about our time in the park or plan our next adventure.

I had a car once and it just didn't seem the same.

MrPeetrie
07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
I hate to say it, but we always used Mears Transportation in the past. But lately, we rent a car at National Car from the Emerald Isle. There's absolutely NO WAIT. You just walk across to the garage, get in the car you want, and go straight to Disney. It's much more efficient.

With that said, once we're at the resort, we almost NEVER use the car again!!! It's all Disney Transportation. It's such a waste of money for us just to save a few minutes of travel on our trip. But we love the convenience of getting there quickly and leaving for the airport on our schedule.

okw2006
07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Park the car when we get there and don't move it until we leave! Disney transportation 1oo%:thumbsup:

KAT1811
07-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I like to use the Disney Transportation system. Renting a car seems like such a waste of money to me!!!

KAT1811
07-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I hate to say it, but we always used Mears Transportation in the past. But lately, we rent a car at National Car from the Emerald Isle. There's absolutely NO WAIT. You just walk across to the garage, get in the car you want, and go straight to Disney. It's much more efficient.

With that said, once we're at the resort, we almost NEVER use the car again!!! It's all Disney Transportation. It's such a waste of money for us just to save a few minutes of travel on our trip. But we love the convenience of getting there quickly and leaving for the airport on our schedule.

How about using a car service to go to/from the airport instead of renting a car you'll never use? We use a private car service, they pick us up in baggage claim and gather our bags then hop in the car and then straight off to WDW.

MinnieMommie
07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
ME is a great addition to the Disney services and DH prefers this service to the car. However, I really miss having a car! :mickey:

MrPeetrie
07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
How about using a car service to go to/from the airport instead of renting a car you'll never use? We use a private car service, they pick us up in baggage claim and gather our bags then hop in the car and then straight off to WDW.

Is that expensive?

joelkfla
07-11-2007, 11:18 PM
if I wanted to go to another park I'd always have to go back to the hotel first then go back to the park unless of course I was hopping between MK and Epcot.
Disney provides transportation, either by bus, monorail, or a combination of the two, between all parks. When the MK is one of the parks, you always need to transfer at the TTC.

They should make the buses more Disney like they did to the buses for the Disney Cruise Line.
That's why we've added the themed music and recorded spiels to the buses. Give them another chance.

Tink#64
07-11-2007, 11:44 PM
The only time we don't use Disney Transportation is if we're going to the Fantasia Golf. This year we're going to be going to a park after we check out, so we will be taking our car there & leaving for home from the park. The bus drivers know their way to the parks alot easier than some of the driver's out there on the roads.

-----------
I thought it would be difficult to get to the mini golf locations also, but we rode the bus to MGM & then took the boat over to the Swan & walked across resort property & across the street to Fanatasia Gardens! I was so proud of myself for figuring it out! I printed & took with me the transpo info from Info Central & it was a huge help! :rocks:

We fly into Orlando, & in the past we've used various shuttles & private services, but now love the DME service! We only use Disney transpo & haven't ever had any problems! We are very content to use Disney transportation & have no reason to spend more money for a car. We always talk about "Those poor people who have to get all the way back to their HOT cars when they leave the parks!" We are so glad to get on the A/C'd bus that takes us to the door of the resort! Yeah Disney!:number1:

CU Tiger
07-12-2007, 10:59 AM
DW transportation does a great job! :thumbsup: Driving a car around is not near as convenient as jumping on a waiting bus, boat, or monorail. After a long day in the park, it is nice to rest and not have to drive back to our room. It is also faster. :mickey:

Bethanymouse
07-12-2007, 11:29 PM
I voted for disney transportation. There are times when a personal vehicle would be nice- such as waiting for a bus after wishes, or when you are in a hurry to get to a park in the morning. But the disney transporation is free- and you cant beat that. Plus I think that we would get lost in our own car!:mickey:

MsMin
07-13-2007, 12:40 AM
We drive down so we have a car and I use it for DTD and for the outlet mall. After that it's Disney Transportation but I prefer the monorail or boat over the bus :bus:
I like that I can have a little :marg: and not worry about driving in some unfamiliar area even if it was only 1 drink 4 hours earlier. I hate going through TTC- so many times that loop has taken as long as the bus ride.
My sister had a child that left a vanity light on in the car and by the time we got back to the car @ 1am we had a dead battery. My brother got to his car one night only to discover his keys were found in the bottom of space mnt -- but it was 2am by then-- He was very grateful for the CM's w/ lost and found that helped him too. See a pattern- with my family history I can't push my luck, I take the bus!!!

ChipnDaleGal
07-13-2007, 06:09 AM
I would never rent a car, Part of being on vacation and totally relaxing for me is to not have any driving worries. I do not mind waiting for buses, etc for the tradeoff of not having to deal with traffic and feeling lost or looking for a parking spot! :mickey:

PoohGirls2
07-13-2007, 08:43 AM
We always drive down so our car is there but we rarely if ever use it. It is just too easy to use their transportation. Too, in January there not usually a long wait for bus, monorail, or boat.

doodleboy
07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
I have to say car, though I have a suspicion I'll be in the minority.

The one thing that can make a WDW vacation really good or on the other hand, stressful, is the size of the crowds while you're there and dealing with the size of said crowds. Aside from deciding what time of year to go, I can't do anything about the sheer number of people, but I like the control over my own maneuvering that having a car gives. I can get to the parks as absolutely early as I want to. When I leave, I'm not letting busses pass by or dealing with one last line and ride that I'm not really in the mood for. My family maintains a very positive, happy attitude during our days in the parks, but as we all know, not all the folks on that bus are like-minded! So if I can leave and get in my own environment, I'm all the happier.

I have to agree. The public transportation seems convenitent, but I don't care for crowds. Especially at the end of the day when I may have to wait 45 minutes to board a bus or boat. Not to mention people get awfully crabby at the end of the day. We currently need two strollers and don't like to tote them on and off the buses. Besides I like to be on my own schedule.

Jared
07-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Having a car is faster than relying strictly on Disney Transport, yet we always use the public transportation system exclusively. Part of vacation is being pampered. Not driving for an entire week is unusual and refreshing. I'll sacrifice an extra 10 minutes waiting for the bus rather than worry about escaping a parking lot after Fantasmic! or Wishes.

JWB3
07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
While I like the Disney transportation, esp. boats and monorail, it's great to have the flexibility of a rental car. It gets you from MCO to your hotel faster and around to all the parks quicker than waiting for busses on either end. If you reserve one early enough ahead of time, the additional $150 or so it costs is worth it.

x Kris x
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Last year was the first time we had experienced the Disney transport. My mother decided not to get a car this year, and let us go to the parks ourselves. The only time we needed to use it was to get from one park (I think it was MGM) to MK for the nightime fireworks. The bus came and only us two were on it, along with another CM. He was really nice and talked to me about LOST for a while. The service itself was great, on time and cannot be faulted. However, a rental car is really needed for us, because if you stay offsite, the wait for the bus is incredibly frustrating.

Disney_Barbie
07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
we vote disney transit, neither my DH or myself "like" driving, I mean, we do it cause we have to, but trying to get out a map or follow signs to find our way around is not our idea of a vaction, sure we might have to standi in line or wait a bit to catch a bus, or have standing room only on a monorail, but we'd still take that then one of us having to get stress out over driving (not to mention the stink of loosing the disney magic while in the car, or the HORROR :faint: of trying to find the rental in the parking lot, no thankyou!)

starrmomof2
07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
We loved parking our van (we drove to WDW) and not seeing again til we were leaving. My DH especially said he enjoyed someone else doing the driving and navigating around the world. I especially enjoyed the variety of options and I think we used them all: boat, bus, monorail.

dog-ears
07-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I voted for Disney transportation but since we drive down anyway, we have our car available. And we like using it if we want to go somewhere out of the way that the buses or monorail don't go to ... WDW mini golf courses, maybe a meal at another resort (one time we drove to Coronado Springs just to check it out), etc. Sometimes the buses take forever going to DTD or AK, so we might drive there. You definitely have more flexibility when you have a car.

Jasper
07-13-2007, 05:31 PM
We almost always drive to WDW so we do have our car available but still prefer using Disney Transport. We have run head to head comparisons several times in the past and in almost every case it was less time from park gate to hotel room door and vice versa using Disney transport. This includes time standing in line and all that. We like the speed and not having to hassle with traffic when we are tired.

The only time we drive is if we are leaving the grounds for any reason.

jszczur5
07-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Our own car - hands down. No waiting. No crowds. No drop-offs at other resorts. No charge to park. No question.