PDA

View Full Version : Where were you raised?

Marilyn Michetti
07-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I mentioned in another post that I was going back to my hometown for our 45th high school reunion, and someone PM'd me asking where in Ohio I was going.,

I got to wondering, where you all were raised, and how you got to where you live now.

I was born in Ashland, Ohio, and left for service in the Navy at age 24. Met and married DH while stationed in Phila.Pa. We lived there for 24 years, and came to Mesa, Az. 14 years ago. I figure in 10 more years, I'll have to move again, if there's a pattern here.

I hope this isn't a dumb topic, but I like to learn about people I meet on Intercot, and it IS a small world.

Where are YOU from?:)

ibrowse17
07-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I was born in Mobile, AL, but never lived there until a few years ago. I was an Air Force brat, so grew up in several places. Most of my life was spent in the Ft. Walton Beach area in Florida. After college in Tuscaloosa, AL and some time in Denver, CO during the start of my own time in the AF reserves, I returned to FWB. I have been in Mobile for the past 10 years. Thanks to the AF, I have been out of the country twice.

mook3y
07-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Well, I was raised in Southern California. Living in Bum... nevermind... nebraska... while I finish school. Was in So Cal decided I needed to get my degree to be able to do better for my family. Ended up going to Univ of Neb. 4 semesters and 2 summer school classes and counting before we move closer to the ocean!!!! :) :D ;) lol

2Epcot
07-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I was born and raised not too far from where you are now Marilyn. I was born in Phoenix, AZ, then we moved to Chandler, AZ where I lived most of my childhood through college. After college I moved to Ahwatukee (Southern part of Phoenix). About 8 years ago I came out to CA for work. Lived smack in the middle of Hollywood up until a few months ago, where I moved here to Orange County to be close to my wife's work. I love it here, because unlike LA, this area seems a lot like AZ where I grew up.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-07-2007, 12:57 AM
I was born in Southampton, NY and have lived in East Hampton, NY (Long Island) my entire life. I should also mention that Southampton is the closest town with a hospital (about 25 minutes away) SO...I have never lived anywhere else. ;)

My parents, grandparents, sisters and inlaws have all lived here their entire lives too. Exciting people aren't we?!

DH would love to move out of state if I would agree. The cost of living here is ridiculous and the town is just unbearable in the summer but, I do not want to move. So, for now...we are staying right where we are.

Neat thread. :thumbsup:

jennbunn
07-07-2007, 12:57 AM
i pretty much lived in the twin cities my whole life except.... when i was 4 my folks moved to iowa for about 9 months for my dads job and then.... i moved to las vegas for 6 months back in 2001 for a fresh start after a divorce. so the plan is to stay in mn till the kids finish school and then dh & i are planning on moving to fl :)

Tink&Goofy
07-07-2007, 01:13 AM
I was born and raised in Oregon. Having lived my entire life in Oregon, my feet are pretty much webbed! and I always have an umbrella near by. Just kidding. The beautiful summers here keep me here - and I try to remember them in the long rainy (not snowy) winters.

mrsgaribaldi
07-07-2007, 01:26 AM
I was born in Brooklyn but we moved to Staten Island when I was a baby and I haven't left here yet;)
I'm looking to move to Florida with DH:cloud9:

Tiggerlovr9000
07-07-2007, 02:35 AM
I was mostly raised in Omaha, NE. My kids were born in NE and have lived here their whole lives. I love Nebraska. Love to travel but always want to call NE home..

kakn7294
07-07-2007, 05:33 AM
I was born and raised in Ohioville, PA - a small rural community about 5 min from the PA - OH border, 15 min from WV, and about 1 hr northwest of Pittsburgh. I went to nursing at the Univ of Pittsburgh. I met DH while in college - I worked in the hardware dept of our local Sears store and he was a friend of a co-worker. We were married 14 years ago. He grew up in West Aliquippa, PA. We now live in Brighton Twp, PA - about 10 min from "home".

Great thread! Hey Marilyn, Ashland is about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs from me - you're right, it is a small world!

vizsla
07-07-2007, 07:21 AM
I was born and raised in Swoyersville, Pa. and moved to Allentown, Pa. for a year back in '88 for a job. Then moved back to my hometown, and still here.

RedSoxFan
07-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I, too, was an Air Force Brat. I was born in Ruislip, England. From there I lived in Germany; Orlando, FL (twice); Maryland (outside DC); Attleboro, MA; Colorado Springs, CO; San Bernardino, CA; and then back to North Attleboro, MA to finish my senior year of high school. Got married and moved to Dartmouth, MA. Moved to Charlottesville, VA in the summer of 2000 as DH switched jobs. And moved again (I hope the last time) to Ithaca, NY in August 2006 as DH switched jobs again.

Old School Mouse Ears
07-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Yo i was born in philly..and i know you lived there from your post. spending part of my childhoon in the city, we moved to south jersey and i never felt or needed to move away . as you must know there are lots of great people and places to live in this area .the rest of the country doesnt know so Shhhhhh.:secret:but we do still put out the bell for the tourists to see.:D

goofiecrazy
07-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Born here in Wilmington DE and still havent left.Thought about other places to live but why leave the place I call home.

Melanie
07-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Born and raised in Winston-Salem, NC. Military life has taken us to Jacksonville, NC, Indian Head, MD and now Okinawa, Japan.

I'm excited about the possibilities of where we might live in the future, and we have no idea where we might retire. :shrug:

sunlyon
07-07-2007, 09:15 AM
I grew up on a farm in Los Angeles! We lived in the northern end of the San Fernando Valley (Sylmar) and had a small farm. My mom wanted to be a vet but her dad had said that was man's work, so she healed any animals brought to her (kind of like the witch in the woods in "Nine Lives of Thomasina"). We had chickens, ducks, geese, sheep, goats, a donkey, doves, rabbits, guinea pigs, snakes, chipmunks, birds, dogs, cats, a tame pig named Clem and from time to time: owls, possums, racoon... anything needing healing.

I spent my college years in Stockton, CA. I got married and moved to St. Louis, MO for 13 years, divorced and took a job in Roswell, GA with a company I used to work for in CA (they moved here after I moved to MO). I LOVE the south. I LOVE GA! Better weather than St. Louis and not as crowded as CA.

Caroleh
07-07-2007, 09:16 AM
I was born in Britt, Iowa. Then we lived in Wesley, Iowa for about 8 years and then Algona, IA until I was 40. I met my DH on the internet, so I moved to Rochester, NY for a month before moving to Brampton, Ontario, where I'm at until March of '08

Ian
07-07-2007, 09:17 AM
I've never lived more than 30 miles from where I live right now.

I was born in Roxborough, PA (which is an urban-ish suburb of Philly). We moved out to the "real" 'burbs when I was just about 6 and I've lived right around here my whole life.

In fact, even counting the little apartment my parents had for a few months after I was born, I've only had 6 different addresses my whole life.

Basically, I can count on one hand the number of friends or family members I have who don't live right around here. For some reason, Philly people tend to live where they were raised.

Tinkerfreak
07-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I was born and raised in Lisbon Falls, Maine and lived in the same house all my life until I moved in with DH and we moved a whole 5 miles away to Bowdoin, Maine. We love our small town and are looking forward to our great big Moxie Day Festival coming up next weekend. I love living close enough to the coast that we can visit often but go home when there are alot of tourists. DH builds great big houses on the coast so he does not share the same enthusiasm for the beach as the rest of the family because he works there all day.
I spent alot of time in Northern Maine on Moosehead Lake because my parents have a camp there. Watching Moose never gets old they are unbelievable creatures. As much as we love to visit other places we just could never leave our peaceful home in Maine, we love our four seasons and our wildlife. I must admit I could live without the gigantic mosquitos though.

pogo
07-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Born in Rome, NY in the Mohawk Valley, moved to Camden, NY when I was eight. Joined the USAF in 1969, lived in Yokota, Japan, Vacaville, Ca. and moved back to Camden after my duty was over. Moved to Rochester, NY on July 3, 2000 and here I am. Stop in and say :hi: if your ever up here. :thumbsup:

Great thread, Marilyn:D

Damon18
07-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I was born and raised in Hollis , New Hampshire. I lived there until I was 15 when my father who worked for Lockheed, got transferred to Ottawa, Ont. I liked it here so I just decided to stay.

MsMin
07-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I was born in New Orleans until I was 6 and moved to a suburb, Slidell and lived on Lake Pontchartrain. I moved to Baton Rouge in 94 after (3 yrs of stalking:scared:) My family has since followed me here but we are a very small family since my parents are both only children--

TiggeRia
07-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I was born in Las Vegas where we lived until my dad retired from the Air Force three months later. We then spent three years in State College, PA. From there we moved to Phillipsburg, NJ, where we have been for the past 23 years.

I was born in Mobile, AL, but never lived there until a few years ago. I was an Air Force brat, so grew up in several places. Most of my life was spent in the Ft. Walton Beach area in Florida. After college in Tuscaloosa, AL and some time in Denver, CO during the start of my own time in the AF reserves, I returned to FWB. I have been in Mobile for the past 10 years. Thanks to the AF, I have been out of the country twice.

My brother is getting ready to move to FWB/Eglin AFB next week! He's looking to buy a house there and I'm looking forward to go down for some mini vacations. I hope it's a nice area!

Momof2boys
07-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Even though I live in a different city, the drive to my girlhood home is only 30 minutes - I didn't want to stay in Milwaukee, so DH and I moved out to the boonies ;)

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
07-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I was born, raised, and now live in the same small coal mining town in the heart of the Appalchians. I lived a couple of hours away during college.

SgtTigger
07-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Chalmette Louisiana.......

I lived in Meruax for a few years but that is right next to Chalmette it is still part of St. Bernard Parish.... in Louisiana we call the parishes not counties....

We are famous for Hurricane Katrina.

Before the storm in 2005 I lived around the corner from my dad. My grandparents lived 5 houses away. my brother in law lived in the same subdivision. My sister in law and Nieces lived 5 minutes away and right next door to my mother in law......

Now I am the only one left......

:cop: :tigger:

SBETigg
07-07-2007, 12:34 PM
I grew up in Holyoke, Massachusetts-- a city in Western MA, near Springfield (about two hours from Boston). After I married, we stayed in the area, moved to Michigan(Canton) for a year, and came back home. Now my husband works in Avon, CT and we live in a suburb of Springfield, MA close to CT. We're very New England and happy here.

tinkwest
07-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I've lived in California all of my life.

Was born in Pasadena, moved to Temple City, another suburb of the Los Angeles area, when I was four. Then at 12 our family moved to northern California - Auburn. I spent my Jr. High & High School years there. Came down to San Diego for college, went back & forth between San Diego (school term) & Auburn (summers & holidays) for four years. Got married right out of college and have lived in three different places in San Diego for the past 29 years.

Christine
07-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Born in Kalamazoo, Michigan

Raised in Arkansas (Jonesboro and Conway)
separated by a very short stint in St. Charles, Missouri

Now married and living in Longview, Texas for the past 15 years. :bored: (about the Texas part, not the marriage! :blush: )

In two years, we will (God willing) be in Celebration Florida!

Jeri Lynn
07-07-2007, 01:02 PM
I was born and raised in Spencer MA, (a little town about an hour west of Boston). When I got married I moved to a nearby town called Oakham for four years, then another little town called Rutland for four years, and now we are back in Spencer and have been here for the last 15 years!

PirateLover
07-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Basically, I can count on one hand the number of friends or family members I have who don't live right around here. For some reason, Philly people tend to live where they were raised.

:) I have lived in this same house all my life. I am 21. My brother still lives here as well. He's 25. Born in Pennsylvania Hospital and brought home to South Philly. My grandfather and aunt/uncle/ cousins live 2 blocks away on the same street. My other grandfather lived about 6 blocks away in the other direction. My other aunt/uncle live a 5 minute car ride away up past Broad Street. I have one cousin who followed her husband out to Harrisburg. She has two kids and two (or more!!!!)on the way. She has no help out there. We are very family oriented people around here. I never had a baby sitter, my grandparents or another family member were always available. It is for this reason that I don't want to move far away when it is time for a family of my own. I don't want to raise my kids in the city, but I wouldn't want to be more than 25-30 mins away.

Scott C
07-07-2007, 01:59 PM
What is it with the USAF around here. I was a brat too.

Born in Rome NY
Moved to Fairbanks AK
Moved to Dennison TX
Moved to Homestead FL
Dad retired when I was 11(1975)
Have lived Here in Evansville IN ever since

Thanks
Scott C

Diznee4Me
07-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I was born in Aiken County, South Carolina. Both lines of my family settled near here in the 1730's and 1780's. We have been here ever since!:shake::laughing:

Actually a great area to live in - a couple of hours to the beach, a couple of hours to the mountains, between Atlanta and Columbia.

conorsmom2000
07-07-2007, 02:47 PM
I've never lived more than 5 miles away from where I was raised! :blush: My family lived in Bergenfield when I was born - with the addition of myself and my twin, our little Cape cod was busting at the seams, so we moved across town when I was 1 1/2. I lived in that house until I was 22 and then moved out with a girlfriend, 2 towns away. 6 months later, we moved one town over, to Bogota. A year after that, Mike and I moved in together and lived in 2 different apts in Bogota, then 1 in Teaneck - then, we found out we were having Conor. :cloud9: So, we bought a house....in the town where I was raised! (That's 6 moves in 7 years, some within blocks of each other! ) But, at the time, my parents were here, my brother & his family and another brother and sister, so I wanted to come back here to be close to them. With the town changing so much (and not for the better) we talk about moving all the time - we just don't know where we want to go.....

MScholl13
07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Born in Bartlesville, OK

I was raised out in the country about 10 miles northeast of Dewey/Bartlesville, OK.

Lived in Stillwater, OK for five years while I went to college at Oklahoma State University.

After graduation I moved back to Bartlesville.

Now in December it looks like I will be moving to Ft. Polk, LA and/or wherever else the Army takes my husband and I. ;)

alphamommy
07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
I was born in Howell, Michigan (we lived in a wide spot in the road called Parshallville). We lived in several different towns in SE MI until I was 4.5, when we moved to Waterford, which is what I consider to be my hometown.

DH and I met through work, and we lived for a while near Flint after we got married. We moved from there to Lapeer, then moved to Troy last summer.

I've always been in SE Michigan. My folks were from Northern Alabama, but left long before I came along. I still have relatives down there.

Tammy

ElenitaB
07-07-2007, 02:57 PM
I was born in Brooklyn, but my family moved out to Long Island (aka Lawn Guyland) when I was three. I was brought up out there (Massapequa, but went to Farmingdale schools) but once I graduated high school the gypsy in my blood came out full force and I lived in: Albany, NY (undergrad degree from SUNY Albany); Spain (for a total of two years); San Diego and La Jolla (grad degree from UC San Diego); Chicago; Central America... and then where I do end up and have my son: Brooklyn!

I would love to move back to California or to Florida (as winter is just not for me), if I could ever cut the tethers to my medical team. But I do also have to keep in mind my mom whose getting on in years and not in the best of health.

Cinderelley
07-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Born in Los Angeles. We lived in Yuma, Az and New Orleans when I was very young. When I was in first grade, we moved to Holtville, CA. Then when I was in jr. high, we moved to Phoenix and I've been here ever since.

MNNHFLTX
07-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I was born and raised in Elk River, Minnesota (about 40 miles NW of the Twin Cities), went to college in Duluth and the Twin Cities, then moved to Orlando, where I got my first position as an RN. I also met my husband there and we married and moved up to Merrimack, New Hampshire, for three years. We then moved back to Central Florida (Melbourne on the east coast) for 12 years and two years ago moved to the Houston area when my husband got a promotion within his company.

We love our small town and are looking forward to our great big Moxie Day Festival coming up next weekend. When we lived up in New England I grew to love Maine and like Moxie. Of course, it's a bit an acquired taste, somewhat like Beverly. ;)

Dsnygirl
07-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I think this is a great topic! Thanks for starting it!

I was raised in Liverpool, NY (small town norht of Syracuse) - left at age 26 to get married and lived in Grand Rapids, MI for a year and a half. Then we returned to the east coast and lived in NH for 6 wonderful years, until returning home after my DH got laid off, to Cicero, NY (also north of Syracuse) 5 1/2 years ago. We just moved to Marcellus, NY (southwest of Syracuse) about 6 weeks ago, and we love it - very much like NH, which we like.

So - we've returned home... although if you'd ever asked me if I would, I would have emphatically said not on your life!! :blush: Now we're raising our girls here, and enjoying it very much. Funny, how life turns out....

snifflesmcg
07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I was born in Las Vegas where we lived until my dad retired from the Air Force three months later. We then spent three years in State College, PA. From there we moved to Phillipsburg, NJ, where we have been for the past 23 years.

Wow, I didn't think anyone on here ever heard of Phillipsburg, NJ.....

But, I was born and raised in Phillispburg, NJ. Lived there until I was 18 and decided to get my own place in 1997. I moved RIGHT over the border into Easton, PA (Home of the Crayola Crayon). I moved a few miles up the road to Tatamy, PA in 2004, HATED it there and moved back to Easton in March of 07.

Lily
07-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I grew up in Schaumburg, IL, a suburb of Chicago. Moved to Seattle, WA when I was 22, then on to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 8 years later. We plan to stay in CdA until the kids are done with school - that's about 12 more years. DD will start first grade and DS will start third grade in the fall. After that, who knows...we would love to work at WDW someday!

Donald A
07-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I was born in Akron, Ohio and lived in Northeastern Ohio my whole life. I grew up in Uniontown, Ohio which is halfway between Canton and Akron. My hometown recently made the news as the Jesse Davis murder story unfolded a few miles from my childhood home. Other than living in the greater Cleveland area for medical school and residency, I never lived anywhere other than the Akron / Canton area until I moved to Indy in July of 2005.

T-Belle
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I was born in a very small town in Georgia called Hahira.
From there we moved (for my father's work)to
Jackson MS then to
Brookhaven MS and a few months in
Baton Rouge until my Grandmother fell ill and we returned to Georgia.
After I got married I moved to
Tallahassee, Fl.
Then because of my DH work we have moved a lot! From
Tallahassee to
Gulfport Ms.
to Nashville, Tn.
to Baltimore to
Slidell La and now
Suwanee, Georgia!!!
Georgia is home and always will be, no matter where I live!

tinktude
07-07-2007, 06:54 PM
I have lived just outside St. Louis Mo my whole life. My DH too!! We love it here, and think that it is a great place to raise our family.

Mickey'sGirl
07-07-2007, 08:41 PM
My house is 20 miles from the hospital in which I was born. I grew up in Scarborough, Ontario (part of Toronto), down the street from my husband :heart: (CanadianWDWFan). We eventually got married and were in an apartment for a couple of years, until we settled into our first house in Ajax, Ontario (around the corner from my sister). We are now in our third house in Ajax -- we like the town and it is close to our families (and my sister is still around the corner :clappy: ).

Donalds Duckie
07-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Marilyn, before I give my hometown info, I want to say IT IS A SMALL WORLD! My best friend in the world is from Ashland, Ohio!:cool: They live in Orlando area now. In fact, she and the hubby just returned from their annual June visit home to see family. Any chance you might know them? PM me if you like.

Ok, now my turn...

I was born in Alhambra, California in 1953. I remained in the area (Alhambra, Covina, West Covina, Pasadena, South Pasadena) until 1994 when I moved to San Diego where I became a proud Navy Mom. When my son got out of the Navy we moved to Texas (June 2000), and experienced DisneyWorld for the first time late Sept. 2001 (we'd always gone to Disneyland). He married and moved back to So. California in 2003 so I get to return to Disneyland every time I visit them!

Yes, it is a small world, indeed!

I have been going to Disneyland since the week it opened (thanks, Daddy!). I was only 2 so I have no memory of that first trip but living so close to Disneyland we/I visited the park regularly all my life. I guess you can say that I grew up with Disneyland!:mickey:

Magic Smiles
07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I was born and raised in Hollis , New Hampshire. I lived there until I was 15 when my father who worked for Lockheed, got transferred to Ottawa, Ont. I liked it here so I just decided to stay.

Hi, I am in Ottawa also, actually the Fallingbrook, Orleans area. I can't believe another individual on Intercot lives in Ottawa. However, I don't understant why anyone would want to stay here.

kaerbear178
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I was born in St Paul MN and lived there for 2 years, and Garretson SD for 1. When i was 3 we moved to ND where I lived in Dunseith and then Petersburg. We moved to Decorah, Iowa in 93 - I was 13. I went to college in Iowa City and stayed for 1 year after that. I decided I wanted to become an Interior Designer -and be someplace warm and sunny- so I moved to San Diego to go to school again. I have been here for over 4 years now with 1 year of night school left. Don't know where I will be after that - it will depend on who my fiance gets an animation job with.

Mousefever
07-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I lived in McKees Rocks, PA (just outside of Pittsburgh) until I was six.

We moved to Vermont and spent all of my school years there up until college. The town I grew up in, Westminster, is about a 1/2 hour north of the MA state line and about five minutes from NH.

I went to Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA and then bounced back and forth between there and home for a year and 1/2 afterwards.

In 1994 I moved to Littleton, Colorado to work as a nanny for my cousin. I met my husband while I lived there and we live in Arvada, CO now. My husband works at Coors in Golden, CO and our town is right next door.

I get incredibly homesick for VT in the autumn.

:dory:

thrillme
07-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Born in San Antonio, TX. Raised in San Antonio, TX. Married my late husband (who was also born and raised in San Antonio)...Gave birth to my DS here in San Antonio...

I really don't know of anybody outside of the family NOT born in Texas (many were born here in San Antono).

My boyfriend is an "alien" :yoda:...he got his TEXAS citizenship a few years ago. He came from South Dakota.

DessertDivaFL
07-07-2007, 11:26 PM
I was born in Harrisburg, PA and grew up in the small town of Grantville. (10 minutes from Hershey chocolate!)

After graduating high school I moved with my parents to North Fort Myers, FL.

Then a few years later I got married and moved back to PA.

I couple years later I moved back to FL, got a divorce and now newly engaged and living in Cape Coral.

TheMartellFamily
07-08-2007, 01:30 AM
OK here is my list of places that I have lived. Born in Madison Wi and lived in Sun Pairie Wi unil 5. Moved to La Crosse Wi until I went to college. Went to college in St. Cloud and Winona MN. Moved to Arlington Heights IL and then Rolling Meadows Il. That now brings us to the present and we are now in Round Lake Beack IL and have been here for almost 4 years.

BronxTigger
07-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Well, I have lived at 10 addresses...and I'm only 25. No, my parents were not in the military. I went to 1 pre-school, 2 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 3 high schools, and I'm on my 3rd college (2 undergrad, this one is for my master's). Whew! I'm dizzy!

I was born in Kennewick, Washington. (1 of 3 "Tri-Cities")
I moved to Longmont, Colorado at the end of 7th grade.
I moved to Richland, Washington at the beginning of 11th grade. (Another of the "Tri-Cities"...it's next to Kennewick)
I moved to Lakewood, Colorado for college.
I moved to Denver, Colorado (east Colfax anyone?:ack:)
Now, I'm in the Bronx, home of the New York Yankees and great pizza. :number1:

princessjojo
07-08-2007, 09:56 AM
For the most part, I have lived here in Henderson all of my life, with the exception of my college years when I lived in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC (LOVE IT THERE!!!). I am so envious of all of you who have moved around. Now that I'm married with 2 boys, we have talked about moving. DH would have nothing to do with it for a while now I've talked him into it somewhat. We would both love to move back to the Wilmington area if for no other reason but a better education for the boys (and it's close to the beach) but it's gotten ridiculously expensive to live there so we will probably stay here and look into private school for them after I finish school. Though I really don't like our town a lot, it is home to our families and that makes it hard to leave. We do have the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area not far away though and that is a plus.

SallyfromDE
07-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm here in Wilmington, DE. Born and raised. All my family here. Can't imagine living anywhere else. It's a beautiful area.

Jenemmy
07-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I was born in a suburb of Dayton, Ohio and other than a 2 year detour to Parkersburg, WV have stayed in some Dayton suburb or other ever since.

Lacy
07-08-2007, 01:15 PM
It is a small world and this is a great thread!

In 1994 I moved to Littleton, Colorado to work as a nanny for my cousin. I met my husband while I lived there and we live in Arvada, CO now. My husband works at Coors in Golden, CO and our town is right next door.

I was born in Wheat Ridge, CO but grew up in Arvada! We moved to the Golden area when I was in high school. I went to Lawrence, KS for college where I met my husband. We moved to Atlanta for his job and I transfered to Georgia Tech. I loved the south but DH wasn't thrilled about it. So we decided to return to CO after I graduated. We now live on the east side of Denver at the Stapleton airport redevelopment. It is nice to be back "home" in the Denver area even though I didn't have plans of moving back.

Piglet822
07-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Marilyn, this is a really neat thread :thumbsup:

I was born in Suffern, NY and raised in Spring Valley, NY.
When I was 23 I moved to Westwood, NJ with my soon to be DH.
After DS was born I decided I didn't really care for the area anymore, nor the cold weather so it was off to Central Florida. Mom moved here in '87 which made our move in '92 a whole lot easier.
We are now in a little tiny town called Mascotte. We're getting our first traffic light soon :D
The summers can be a bit unbearable but it's real close to WDW so it's worth it :mickey:

J9
07-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I was born in 1982 in Meadowbrook, PA (about 3 minutes outside Philadelphia) because that was the closest hospital to my parents.

When I came home from the hospital, I went right to my house actually IN Philadelphia. I moved once to a new house (also inside the city limits) when I was 6 and, aside from my stint as a Disney CP in 2004 and studying abroad in Rome last summer, I've lived in Philly my entire life.

Although, because of the whole "Meadowbrook" thing, I sadly cannot say I'm Philadelphia born and raised!! :D

Wayne
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Born in Franklin, TN (18 miles S of Nashville) and lived within 30 miles of downtown Nashville until I was 39 years old. Moved to Chattanooga with my wife and daughter in '99.

mouseaddict
07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey all
I was born in Calgary, Alberta
then on to Oakville and Burlington Ontario
Laval, Quebec (my teens)
Then I moved to my favorite city..Ottawa!
Next came Jacksonville, Fl (hired by a hospital down here)
Spent one VERY LONG year in El Paso TX
Now I have been back here in Jax for 5 years. I am trying to get back to Ottawa..if only I could convince DH!!!

Beach Club Babe
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I know this sounds strange, but I have never lived more than 15 miles from where I was born!

I was born in Wilkes-Barre, PA, but my first residence was about 12 miles away in Bear Creek. I only lived in that home for my 1st 6 months, which was right across the street from my maternal grandmother. we moved when the house my parents were building was finished. The new house was only 1/2 mile away, right next door to my paternal granddparents. I went to college in Wilkes-Barre, but dormed, even though it was close by. That was approximately 15 miles from home, maybe less. I met my DH, who was from Oley, PA, here, in college and when I finished, we got married and rented the house on the other side of my parents house, while we looked for another to buy. A few years later, we wound up buying my maternal grandmother's house after she died, so again, only moving practically back to where I started from, 1/2 mile away!

If you told me in High School, this is what I would have wound up doing, I would have said you were crazy! I fully intended on leaving here and never looking back! Funny how things work out!

sgdisney
07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Very interesting to see where people are from and how much they have moved around. As for me, I was born in Charleston, WV and have lived in South Charleston, WV (yes, it is a separate city) almost all of my life. I currently live about 1/2 mile from the house I grew up in. I have NO immediate family (other than DH and DS) around here anymore, but I still call it home.

dolphinmickey9170
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Born and raised in Norway, Maine. Spent my summers on Lake Pennessewassee. Married had two kids, then divorced 9 years later. Worked as a CNA in the very hospital I was born in.

In 2003 I met someone on the internet and jumped on a plane to Baltimore. That didn't work out, but while I was there I met my prince charming in the emergency room. He's a firefighter/paramedic. The opportunity was given to me to attend nursing school for free through Coppin State University, currently earning my Bachelor's degree.

We plan on retiring back to Maine some day. It's just such a beautiful place. September is my favorite time of year becuase of all the colors.

DisneyDog
07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I have spent most of my life in the Philly suburbs, with the exception of college and a few years living in Florida...

I was born at Einstein Medical Center, Southern Division (South Philly) since my dad was interning there, and brought home to our apartment in West Oak Lane, Philly. When I was a toddler, we moved to Glenside, PA. When I was 7 we moved to Audubon, PA -- just outside of Valley Forge/King of Prussia. Back then it was the middle of nowhere. My high school was in a corn field! When I was 16 we moved to Wyndmoor, which is right by Glenside. Went to the University of Delaware in Newark DE... Then, got married and moved to King of Prussia (yeah, I know, back and forth...)

Then, 8 years into our marriage we up and moved to Southwest Florida (Naples, Collier County). We stayed there for 3 1/2 years. 4 hurricanes later, we decided we were incredibly homesick and moved back up to PA...to Audubon! I now live just 1 mile from the house I grew up in! I can practically see my old house when I look out the window.

I plan on living in this house for the rest of my life. If you had told me I would wind up here when I was 16, I probably would have laughed my head off. But, I am happy being back here. The area has changed and the high school is no longer in a corn field (ha ha). We now have a huge movie theater, Target, Walmart, chain restaurants, the whole kit and kaboodle!:thumbsup:

bleukarma
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
I was born in Tampa, FL and raised with my great aunt and uncle. I lived there until I was 22. My entire family (besides my great aunt) lives in Cincinnati, OH so my aunt and I decided to go up there around the rest of the family. I finished school in Cincinnati and two years later we moved back to Tampa. We just couldn't take the cold winters and we missed the beach too much! I grew up in south Tampa but when we moved back the real estate market just shot through the roof and nothing in south Tampa was affordable anymore (it figures, we sold our house in south Tampa right before the boom hit!). We bought a house in Brandon, FL...a subarb of Tampa because it was cheaper. Now we have the house on the market and we're looking at going back to south Tampa with my aunt in a retirement community and me in an apartment or condo/townhouse. Honestly I've been trying to live in Orlando since I was 18 but that was when my great uncle died and I couldn't leave my aunt alone. Now she wants to retire back in south Tampa. But one day I will make it to Orlando and work for WDW!

Marilyn, this is a really neat thread :thumbsup:

We are now in a little tiny town called Mascotte. We're getting our first traffic light soon :D
The summers can be a bit unbearable but it's real close to WDW so it's worth it :mickey:

My brother owned a house in Mascotte! But he owned it while I lived in Cincinnati so I only saw it once. It's a nice little town though!

ldn324
07-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I was born in Athens, GA where I lived off an on until I was 18. For about a year when I was 7, I lived in Columbia, MS.

When I was 18, I moved to Woodstock, GA, then proceeded to Marietta, GA, Acworth, GA, Atlanta (yep, had an Atlanta address - kinda odd if you know Atlanta), and Decatur, GA.

I left GA when I was 29 and moved to the Pocono Mountains of PA - Cresco, Swiftwater and Mountainhome, PA, respectively.

We've toyed with the idea of moving back to Atlanta or to upstate NY - even looked at real estate, but we've just never gotten too far from just looking.

c&d
07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
I was born and raised on Staten Island, NY "before the bridge." I went to college in Boston and never left. I've been living in Melrose, MA for the past 25 years. I still have family on SI and they all kid me about my "Boston" accent.

TheDuckRocks
07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Marilyn, thanks for this really fun thread.

I was born in Los Angeles, CA and moved to the "country", Lakewood, CA when my Mom and Dad bought their first home with his CalVet loan after WW II. I'm a 5th generation Californian on my dad's side of the family, which is a rarity for someone my age.
When I married we moved to Buena Park, CA where raised our family there.
In 1989 we hit the middle age crazies and quit our jobs, sold our home and packed up our bags and moved with our 19 year old daughter to Kailua, HI. Moved around quite a lot when living in the islands. My daughter met and married a member of the Army stationed at Tripler Hospital, as always happens in the military my SIL was transfered to Fort Deterick, MD. After 18 months without our grandkids being close by, I couldn't stand missing them, so after an attack of old age crazies we once again packed up and moved back to the mainland.
We are now in Martinsburg, WV about 30 minutes away from the grandkids and as my SIL has retired from the military and they have bought a house in this section of the country we will probably stay where we are.
I have loved everywhere we have lived and would not have wanted to have missed any of the experiences we have shared with the many wonderful friends we have met in our wanderings.

Jimenyfan
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I was born in Philadelphia(Mizracordia(sp) Hosp), moved to Haddonfield NJ when I was 3. Spent the next 18yrs there, got married and moved to Mantua NJ. 9 years later we made our move to Greenville SC and have been here for the last 10 yrs.

murphy1
07-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I was born in Massachusettes, but lived in TN, and Germany the first four years of my life, then moved to Florida (yes, I wondered why people thought Disney and the beach was a vacation spot!) where I grew up in St. Pete for the next 25 years, then moved to Atlanta GA. I am truly a Southerner and I love being here with the change of season, but also close to home!

Bleukarma, I love South Tampa, I would live on Bayshore BLVD in a heartbeat!!!!!!!

Catwillow
07-13-2007, 11:03 PM
I am an Air Force Brat, Ex Air Force Wife, Ex Navy sister & Ex Navy mom.

I was born in Denver Colorado. Having made several moves throughout my 45 years it would be easier to just list them and the years (combined) I resided at.

Colorado (my dad was stationed @ Peterson AFB) (Denver (born there), Colorado Springs, Air Force Academy) 5 yrs
California (1 yr Travis AFB-as a child, 2 yrs Los Molinos as an adult)
Florida 4 yrs (1 yr as a child in the Orlando area (dad was stationed there)- currently living in Melbourne Florida)
Okinawa Japan (3 yrs as a child - 2 1/2 yrs as an adult)
Presque Isle, Maine (dad was stationed at Loring AFB) 6 yrs
Parkville, Missouri 1 yr (dad went to college there -- we lived in Maine for 4 years went to Missouri for 1 then back to Maine for 2 more years)
Washington - Fairchild Air Force Base 1 1/2 yrs and Spokane 6 yrs
Chanute AFB, Rantoul Illinois 1 1/2 yrs
Radcliff/Albany/Athens/Springfield Ohio 5 1/2 yrs
Oregon (Canby & Portland) 6 1/2 yrs

I really have no idea on where to claim I was "raised" except to maybe say "in my parents home"....LOL.

crazypoohbear
07-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Just curious, did you live in Okinawa in the 60's or 70's?
Where in Okinawa did you live, on or off base?
I lived there from 63 to 67. I loved it there!

I am an Air Force Brat, Ex Air Force Wife, Ex Navy sister & Ex Navy mom.

I was born in Denver Colorado. Having made several moves throughout my 45 years it would be easier to just list them and the years (combined) I resided at.

Colorado (my dad was stationed @ Peterson AFB) (Denver (born there), Colorado Springs, Air Force Academy) 5 yrs
California (1 yr Travis AFB-as a child, 2 yrs Los Molinos as an adult)
Florida 4 yrs (1 yr as a child in the Orlando area (dad was stationed there)- currently living in Melbourne Florida)
Okinawa Japan (3 yrs as a child - 2 1/2 yrs as an adult)
Presque Isle, Maine (dad was stationed at Loring AFB) 6 yrs
Parkville, Missouri 1 yr (dad went to college there -- we lived in Maine for 4 years went to Missouri for 1 then back to Maine for 2 more years)
Washington - Fairchild Air Force Base 1 1/2 yrs and Spokane 6 yrs
Chanute AFB, Rantoul Illinois 1 1/2 yrs
Radcliff/Albany/Athens/Springfield Ohio 5 1/2 yrs
Oregon (Canby & Portland) 6 1/2 yrs

I really have no idea on where to claim I was "raised" except to maybe say "in my parents home"....LOL.

disneydeb
07-14-2007, 02:26 PM
ROCKY TOP.... YOU'LL ALWAYS BE
HOME SWEET HOME TO ME
GOOD OLE ROCKY TOP
ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE
ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE:D

ok, actually Hillsboro, but anywhere in Tennessee is Rocky Top:D

Catwillow
07-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Just curious, did you live in Okinawa in the 60's or 70's?
Where in Okinawa did you live, on or off base?
I lived there from 63 to 67. I loved it there!

yep....lived there from about 66-69. We lived on Kadena-Futenma. I attended 1st grade there. I absolutely loved it as a child and I absolutely loved it as an adult. I hope to someday return. I would love to go with my son and show him where he was born. As an adult we lived @ Makiminato -- I believe which at one time was called Machinato (?). I miss the people of Okinawa - I can remember when the roads were 2 lane...and it wasn't uncommon to see a papason pulling his little housecart behind him or mamasons on the side of the roads with their grasses and cane on their heads.... My dad was with the Reef Rovers Diving Club (one of the co-founders I believe) so we spent alot of time all over the island.

Ms.Disney
07-14-2007, 11:45 PM
I was born and raised in Orlando. I lived in a house not to far from the airport for the first 18 years of my live then when I was 18 in 2004 DF and I moved near downtown. We love it here but there is a lot of hustle and bustle. We have hopes and dreams of one day moving to a more relaxed rural area of central florida. I have no family here really just mom and dad. The rest of my family are from Akron and tallmadge ohio.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-20-2007, 11:17 PM
CatWillow, we did indeed live in Okinawa at the same time and in the same area. Crazypoohbear is my younger sister. You probably went to school with one of us. There were 7 of us kids by the time we left there.

As for me, I was made in France (my Mom was 7 months pregnant when she left there) and born in Georgia at Camp Stewart. It wasn't big enough to be a Fort then.
Then moved to Germany for a couple of years, then back to Fort Benning, GA (that's where Crazypoohbear came along).
Then to Okinawa for 4 years. Then to Edgewood Arsenal, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD for almost a year. Then my father retired from the Army and we moved to MA since both my parents were born in Westboro, MA. And I've been living here in MA ever since.
I'd love to be a snow bird when I grow up. Live in MA during the summer and Orlando during the winter. I can dream, right?

crazypoohbear
07-20-2007, 11:28 PM
yep....lived there from about 66-69. We lived on Kadena-Futenma. I attended 1st grade there. I absolutely loved it as a child and I absolutely loved it as an adult. I hope to someday return. I would love to go with my son and show him where he was born. As an adult we lived @ Makiminato -- I believe which at one time was called Machinato (?). I miss the people of Okinawa - I can remember when the roads were 2 lane...and it wasn't uncommon to see a papason pulling his little housecart behind him or mamasons on the side of the roads with their grasses and cane on their heads.... My dad was with the Reef Rovers Diving Club (one of the co-founders I believe) so we spent alot of time all over the island.
I just came across my school report card from Mercy Elementary school. My grades were not good, and apparently I had penmanship issues.!! Still do!

Did you take the bus around the island for a nickle?? Walk down the hill to the swimming pool? When we were there the pool water would get so hot they would put big blocks of Ice in the pool to keep it cool. Kinda like a prototype for blizzard beach :)
I remember leaving the base, going across the street and up the hill, past the laundry/slot car racing and to the "penny candy" store on the right.
I even miss the "steely bars" on the windows to keep the "stealy boys" out!

I would love to go back there myself.
One of our sisters did go back in 1999 and found both our houses. The one on base and the one off base. The people living in the house 0n base let her in to look around.

Davyjones
07-21-2007, 05:11 PM
My Dad was Navy for the first part of my life, so we moved around a bit. But here's the flow chart of my life:

Born in Royal Oak, Michigan -> Santa Monica, CA -> Charleston, SC -> Louisville, KY -> Niceville, FL -> Pensacola, FL -> Chicago, IL -> Louisville, KY -> Chicago, IL -> Louisville, KY -> Northridge, CA -> Moorpark, CA -> San Clemente, CA -> Hollywood, CA -> Baltimore, MD -> Indianapolis, IN

I hope I didn't lose anyone. ;)

TikiGoddess
07-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I started life in Ulster Park, NY, where my parents still live in the house that my Dad built. Ulster Park is near Kingston, which is a town about an hour and a half south of Albany (or 2 hrs north of NYC). Went to college in Ithaca, NY, moved back home for two years, then off to Barcelona, Spain for two years.

Came back to the States and moved to Hartford, CT to go to grad school at the Univ. of Hartford. Met my hubby there, moved in with him (Manchester, CT). A year into our marriage we bought a house in his hometown of Ellington, CT. Been here 6 years and God willing, many more to come!

Great thread!
TikiG

AmyKane
07-21-2007, 11:34 PM
I lived in Quincy, MA for the first 5 years of my life then we moved to Hull (Nantasket), MA and lived there 28 years until I got married (8 years ago) and moved back to Quincy which is were we are still currently living.