PDA

View Full Version : Story Time at AKL & 5 questions...

ILoveLegos
07-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the Animal Kingdom Lodge - actualy I've only seen the AK Lodge from a distance on a bus or in a car - at least so far to date. However, I hope to be changing all that soon as I have an ADR with a 5:00 pm seating where I will be eating at BOMA's for the first time one night during my early October visit to WDW with my mom. I have read a snipet or two about a Story Time @ the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I thought that this would be a nice finishing touch to our Boma dinner (if we can catch a story session that is). We are staying on a different WDW property (POR), so I have few questions, please feel free to answer any that you know the answer concerning the AKL. My questions are 1) Can we attend the story time session even though we are staying at POR? and 2) Do we need to make advance reservations for story time? 3) Are these stories usually based in traditional African stories or "um to put it nicely" "Disney-ized" like the Lion King type of story? 4) Are the times for the stories posted somewhere so that we can gauge whether we will be able to attend one after we eat dinner? I am basically just wondering what to expect. And btw, Lion King is wonderful (it is one of my favorite Disney Movies) but I do love traditionally authentic African culture as well and have frequented many cultural museums, art galleries and resturants to build a great appreciation for the culture. A journey to Africa is even on my upcomming vacation list so, I would be quite thrilled to hear stories of a more authentic nature as well! <Alas, before I complete this inquiry, I have one last question.>
The bonus question, 5) since our dinner seating is at 5:00 pm and I anticipate the sun setting before we are done with dinner, will we be able to see any "wildlife" in the public viewing areas of the Animal Kindow Lodge or should we just plan to stick with exploration of the lobby and shops because it will be too dark and late to see actual living creatures? Just wondering if anyone has any insight or suggestions in this regard. Thanks in advance for your responses. :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
07-07-2007, 09:36 AM
You should be able to see some animals if you give yourself some time before dinner. You can just walk out the back of the resort where the pool is and there are many viewing areas back there.

You should be able to attend story time even though you are not staying at AKL. (not entirely sure though.)

As for times, I would go to the concierge at POR the morning of your Boma res, have them call AKL and they should be able to tell you the times.

Hope this helps a little.

TammiMcMan
07-07-2007, 03:06 PM
My questions are 1) Can we attend the story time session even though we are staying at POR?Yes you can.
2) Do we need to make advance reservations for story time?No you do not.
3) Are these stories usually based in traditional African stories or "um to put it nicely" "Disney-ized" like the Lion King type of story?In the past, they have been traditional African stories told around the fire.
4) Are the times for the stories posted somewhere so that we can gauge whether we will be able to attend one after we eat dinner?Times are posted in the lobby when you enter the AKL. You may want to stop by the lobby concierge desk at POR though and ask if they can call over and get the time for you. I want to say that it's offered in the late afternoon, so it might actually conflict with your dinner plans.
5) since our dinner seating is at 5:00 pm and I anticipate the sun setting before we are done with dinner, will we be able to see any "wildlife" in the public viewing areas of the Animal Kindow Lodge or should we just plan to stick with exploration of the lobby and shops because it will be too dark and late to see actual living creatures?You may want to plan on arriving a little earlier than your ADR and go to the public viewing sites around the savannah. If you go when it's dark, there are some night vision binoculors that you can borrow.

ILoveLegos
07-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow! Thanks for the answers, we are so looking forward to this, counting down the days to October!!!