PDA

View Full Version : Poly vs Grand

jgt
07-06-2007, 08:29 PM
We have both the Poly and the Grand booked for a week in Sept (free dining of course!) It's just the 2 of us and our 5 year old. Which resort do you recommend---and why? Thanks in advance for answering!! Gayl

SBETigg
07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
They are my family's two favorite resorts! My husband and I love the Grand Floridian best and my kids prefer the Polynesian, but we really love both of them. One feels more casually elegant, while the other is more laid back and lush. It really depends on which you feel like more, if you have to choose.

psychotekkie
07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
We love the Poly the best. Smaller buildings seem more intimate, and the theming in particular is just fantastic. I guarantee your 5 year old will just love the volcano pool, that smokes and glows at night and the pool is "zero entry" so she can get in a little easier just to the depth she is comfortable with. And all the fun tikis everywhere! And the lobby is absolutely gorgeously landscaped!

I think (only my opinion, please, nobody kill me) that the GF is more sophisticated in its decor and as a result, not as fun for the kids. In my experience, kids do not care for beautiful architecture as much as outdoors, fun and imagination.

Again, just my humble opinion.:bolt:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-07-2007, 07:13 AM
We've been to WDW once as a family and stayed at the GF, so I can't speak for staying at the Poly.

We have two toddlers and had a perfect time. They provided us with a fridge and a step stool for the sinks at no extra charge. I also thought it was more convenient than the other resorts because we really got to make use of the on-site character meals. There was no rushing around to make a reservation. I loved having the spa on-site. The next time we go, our DD will be old enough to go to the spa with me (they have special, tasteful mani/pedis starting at 4 yo).

The GF pool was closed at the time, so we got to use the pool at the Poly -whiched rocked!
While visiting the Poly we noticed a lot of children, but maybe they were visitors and not guests. Also, the Poly has the only coffee bar in the vicinity - and we're coffee drinkers, so we loved that.
We were disappointed at the outdated electronics at the GF, and have heard that the Poly is much more modern and updated in this sense. Also, we did catch some of the evening's entertainment at the Poly, which was less formal and more easy and child-friendly.

For our next trip, we're planning a split stay between the Poly & GF.

meldan98
07-07-2007, 11:13 AM
I've never stayed at the GF, but have stayed at the Poly and we just love the Poly theme. I did hear from another guest that they loved the GF, but they felt that it was really stuffy and formal and didn't feel that they could walk down in the morning to get coffee to bring back to their room without being fully "made up".

phillydan
07-07-2007, 01:44 PM
We did Poly when the kids were ages 3, 8 & 9. Then we did GF the following year when they were ages 4, 9, & 10. Each has their own pros and cons. The kids really liked the casual atmosphere at Poly and loved the Volcano pool. However, the bigger pool and "fanciness" of the GF also had them excited as well. Unexpected bonus at the GF - we got daily glimpses of Cinderella, Prince Charming and the mice (Suzie & Perla) when walking through the "side lobby" past the character breakfast/dinner at the 1900 Park Fare restaurant.

You can't really compare the 2 resorts. We never felt any "stuffiness" at the GF, so I wouldn't use this as a criteria.

TammiMcMan
07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
You can't really compare the 2 resorts. We never felt any "stuffiness" at the GF, so I wouldn't use this as a criteria.That's kind of my thought as well. I have never understood what it is about the GF that makes some people feel so uncomfortable. My kids have been going since they were babies and it remains their favorite resort. There are daily games by the courtyard pool, they have story hour and arts & crafts at Mickeys Mercantile on scheduled evenings. Not to mention the tea party, pirate cruise and kids cooking programs. It may look fancy, but it's only a theme.

The GF has a zero entry pool, along with the courtyard pool and toddler areas. At the theme pool, they have cabanas for rental, which can make it a very comfortable way to spend an afternoon. They come stocked with a tv, dvd's, table & chairs, lounge chairs and a fridge with soda, water and juice boxes. The resort is currently rehabbing their rooms, which I'm sure will include updated electronics.

I guess personally, the theme of the GF is a bit more attractive to me and I like that all the standard rooms have a balcony or patio. I believe that the Poly has a few buildings where there are no balconies on the 2nd floor.

I don't think anyone can sell you on which resort is better, just which one is their favorite. Good luck with your decision, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of these resorts.

mrsgaribaldi
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
The Poly is my favorite. DH and I both have no desire to stay at the GF. It seems to upscale for us. I know people have said it's not. I just don't like it very much.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I have to agree that I didn't get "stuffy" from the GF. To us, the GF is nice and bright, but it's not a french chateau or the Taj Mahal. It's elegant, but still very much in a standard hotel way - hotel carpet, hotel fixtures, no original artwork or antiques, etc. It's just a place where you pay your money to have yourself your own good vacation, your own way.

No matter where you stay, you shouldn't feel like the staff or other guests should tell you how to dress or enjoy your vacation - especially not in Disney world! I hope that didn't happen to anyone at the GF!

LottaLubes
07-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I like the GF better but the Poly is more convenient. For example, the Poly has lots of self parking while the self parking for GF is far away (across the street from the GF). The Poly also has better laundry facilities. You can't go wrong with either resort.

GrmGrninGost
07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I have to go with the Poly! The theming is wonderful! I love the whole island theme. Everything is so lush and tropical. Also, our kids had a wonderful time there!:mickey:

DisneyorBust
07-08-2007, 06:13 PM
We split our stay at the POLY and the Grand Floridian last year.
I found the POLY more relaxing, it has a feeling like we truly were getting away from it all. The Grand Floridian was very nice, beautiful buildings and great pool with a hot tub. (which is great after a long day in the park!)
For us it's the POLY, I just love to hop on the Monorail and go to the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. Beautiful landscaping, background Polynesian music, tikki's, all in all we find it to be a very relaxing resort.

Spaceship Tigger
07-09-2007, 08:17 AM
For example, the Poly has lots of self parking while the self parking for GF is far away (across the street from the GF).

Since we drive, this is the number one reason why we didn't like the GF when we visited there. Saying the guest self-parking is remote would be an understatement.

Other than that, we just personally didn't feel like it was a place for us. I know it is still Disney and all, but we just simply didn't feel welcome on our visit. It's almost like the CM's near the entrance knew we were just visiting and looked the other way when we walked in.